Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mileage

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bazz26 wrote:
    You can do the test in your own car.

If your test comes up in the next few months you really SHOULD do it in your current car or a car you are very familiar with. It can take a while to get used to a new car and you need to use any advantage you can get with the test. My tuppence worth is stretch up a few euros on the price. Power steering is overrated, having none will keep you fit. Not the most important thing here. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

cormie wrote:
    The man I rang said he sells cars and was selling it for a woman he knew.

I'm surprised nobody picked up on this point ?!

I suspect a possible 'dodgy dealer' here !

He was obviously advertising as a "private seller" (i.e. not a dealer advert) or you would have known BEFORE you phoned that he was a dealer just by looking at the ad.

It's always a good idea to say "I'm phoning about the car" when calling, as if the seller has more than one car for sale (i.e. probably a dealer posing as a "private seller") he will have to say - "Which car ?"

N.B. I'm not saying that the car IS dodgy - just buyer beware!

Silvera.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

thanks for the tip, will use it in future!

I'll post on any progress in the buying selling:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Youd be suprised with quinn direct. They were quoting me 3.9k on a micra, first time insurance on a provisional. I didnt expect to get any better with em (I tried everywhere else), so I just didnt really think of upping the engine size. But low and behold, thanks to someone in work, I did, just for the laugh originally. 94 1.3 Civic hatch. Quote moved to 4011e. Then, a 96 1.4 Civic hatch, same quote. 1.5 Civic Lsi saloon - same quote. Dunno how or why or what happened, but it did, and I bought a 1.5!
    So just try a bigger engine size, all they are doing is quoting you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

once u have a few years under your belt with a few years ncb ul b laughing. i got aa quote on a 99 BMW 730 ( late twenties with 3 years ncb) and it is just 2000. i reakon i could insure a 740 with 4.4 litre v8 for 2500euro not bad not bad at all.

• Advertisement

I think generally though, a 1l and a 1.1 are around the same, and from either 1.3 or 1.2 there is a gap of maybe 6-700 euro. Sure once you get going on the road it's all the same right? It's just accelleration and going up hills that 1l have problems with? What other advantages do the bigger engines have? 1l are more fuel efficient too yes?

when your older and wealthier take a test drive of an s class or 7 series and ul understand. fuel economy will go out the window on relevancy. :D:D:D:D

maybe some day! Gotta stick with the 1L's for now though.

Ok!!! I think I have found what I am looking for!! A 98 1L polo, 5 door, black for €4.5K with 45K miles on the clock, from a dealer! I think I will be making a deposit on this asap!!!! I hope it's not already gone, the add had been viewed 45 times by the time I saw it:(

Do you think this is a safe bet since it's from a dealer etc? Should I drive to meath tomorrow before opening time to secure the deal??

View the car here

I also got my insurance renewal form in the post today, €1,400 cheaper than last year!!!! from €3.6 to €2.2!!! Nice!!! Now, where can I get €4.5K by tomorrow? haha.

Only bad thing I can see is that it has alloys, yeah, they make it look nice but this could be the investment of a little boy racer reving the life out of the engine and doing other bad things to make him look good.

Now, anyone recognise the location? It says nothing on cbg about where they are, just a phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

regarding the point of why buy a 1.8+ litre engine above, say a polo (example given)

1. safer overtaking - yes there is such a thing
    2. safer car generally, a car built to travel for extended periods of time at motorway speeds will have bigger brakes, better suspension, bigger tires, better road management systems, traction control, abs etc etc

totally off the point.. hope the polo goes well for you, but my advice would be to test drive something like the civic lsi, a 146, something along thoes lines?. had a lsi for a few years, excellent car, if a bit light.

in my opinion as far as the boy racer thing goes, in Ireland, if you are male and still have all your own teeth and, literally, drive anything bigger than a shopping trolley you are by default a boy racer, alloys or no alloys?

• Advertisement

I suppose boy racers could own any type of car! Sure there are even alloys on my 96 Nissan Micra! haha, who would put alloys on a Micra?!! I'm probably being ignorant, I don't know if they have any other use besides looking good?!?!

I couldn't go to a 1.8! Insurance would kill me and I don't want to upset them after my nice new quote. I'm going to have to go for a 1l for now with my financial situation. So you reckon the above deal is good to go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

in my humble opinion,
    do not know much about buying/selling cars, so would not presume to advise you on that. Perhaps a visit to a garage to get it professionally checked over may be worth the investment and time?

Insurance, did come across a minor point, discovered that if someone over 28 is insured as a named driver on a policy of a young driver, in some cases the price actually comes down. May be worth checking out getting someone named on your preimum who is 28+, and living with you.

(think the idea may be that they are driving the car also, so some of the milage would be driven by an 'expert' driver,)

good luck with the car

Unfortunately I just rang and the car is gone:( He sounded legit, he took my number and will ring me if he gets a car that matches my request. With the purchass you get 3 or 6 month warranty (depends on mileage) and each car has NCT of approx 2yrs at least.

I really wanted that one.

Alas.

the way i llook at it, even if u get one and it needs stuff doing then it as a percentage wont cost much. for example you pay 2200 in insurance, 200 in tax, 1000 in fuel and 400 in interest in borrowing for car, and say 100 servicing and 1000 depreciation. so total is 5000euro per year. now even if it needed say a clutch one year or a water pump another year it isnt going to be much considering ur already spending 5000.

my advice if u really want a black one and u dont want to spend forever finding right one, is go for something fairly straight and haggle a bit on price and get it into the ballpark. only when there is an infinate choice can you afford to be choosey and if you insist on black your limiting your choices alot. hopes this helps and best of luck :)

lomb wrote:
    the ballpark.
    :confused:
    should I know what that is??... thanks or advice again!

of course you should know try the vrt calculator or just guess id say 4500 for a good 98 one. thats the ballpark. it doesnt matter if u pay 500 more or get for 500 less as in the grand scheme ur going to b paying 5grand a year regardless.

ive just checked the www.ros.ie site and revenue reakon a 98 one with no ptions is worth 3500. if u can get a uk one expect to pay just 800 euro in vrt.
    therefore considering polos are sought after pay no more than 4500. this is your target+/- 250 euro so no more than 4750 with gaurantee or 4000 privately. but like i said +/- 500 euro doesnt matter as it will cost 5000 grand a year to run regardless.
    according to autotrader.co.uk the dealer price for a 98 1l 3dr polo (66000 miles) is 2200, the private price 2000, and trade is 1500stg. so if u bought from a dealer for say 2000 which u will do, including costs this is 3100 euro, and vrt is 800 euro so import with a warranty (if bought in northern ireland) is 3900 euro. 4000 is the max id pay, but for convenience 4500 isnt too bad as like i said ur spending 5grand anyway its all irrelevent apart from human nature to get the cheapest possible.

I don't think a car with a uk reg and a poker.ie logo would go down too well with the general public though!!?? I'd imagine at least one in a hundred people would comment on it!haha.

I understand what your saying anyway regarding the annual running costs. Will take into consideration anyway. If you see a Black 98 1L 5door Polo for sale check the miles and let me know;)

thanks for all your help!

cormie wrote:
    I don't think a car with a uk reg and a poker.ie logo would go down too well with the general public though!!?? I'd imagine at least one in a hundred people would comment on it!haha.

I understand what your saying anyway regarding the annual running costs. Will take into consideration anyway. If you see a Black 98 1L 5door Polo for sale check the miles and let me know;)

thanks for all your help!

yeah but shed only have a uk plate for the first day, once u pay the 800 euro and 20 euro approx for plates she will be irish then.

this is a better buy and theres one in black on carzone
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=186241

or heres a 98 northern irish polo with a warranty and resonable miles 1998 S Reg, Volkswagen Polo 1.0 LBlue 50,000 miles, 3 Doors. Radio and stereo, very clean car,

Quigley Motors
    Down

Tel:
    Price: Stg £ 1,895 (€ 2,817) so 2800euro+800euro vrt+20euro plates+10 euro in fuel=3700euro. paying any more than 4500 really is bonkers. ring up a few vw dealers in the north theyl sort u out

I don't think the Yaris is as visually appealing as the polo. Especially for commercial advertising. I don't have €6,700 either :(

I'll keep looking for the Polo's.

Do you think it would be worth my while to ring around every dealer I find in golden pages asking to they have what I'm looking for or do you reckon they all post their cars on carzone/cbg/autotrader??

Thanks again!

what is so much better about buying from the North? Are cars generally cheaper there? What exactly is VRT? Whats involved in it, also, if I was to get a new reg, what year would be on it?

Thanks again!

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    what is so much better about buying from the North? Are cars generally cheaper there? What exactly is VRT? Whats involved in it, also, if I was to get a new reg, what year would be on it?

Thanks again!

the year it was originally reged in the uk of course. some cars are cheaper including vrt when bought from the uk. cars are generally cheaper as new cars in ireland get 22.5-30% tax on them in addition to vat which the uk does not get.
    vrt is vehicle registration tax.
    whats involved is u drive down to the revenue offices the next day after importation and pay what it says on www.ros.ie they assign you a reg number, and u then go and have these plates made and stick them on, then you pay road tax and put it in for an NCT. and then shes road legal on the ex queens highway :D:D:D:D:D:D

I've heard nasty stories of NCT behavior. They'd probably do me for having the wrong screws in the reg or sumthin.

So since it's not the regular registration process, could my reg be POKER.IE :D:D (joke)

It seems like allot of hassle, I obviously don't know much about cars so I see Dublin dealers as a safe haven, if there are any problems I don't have far to go, whereas going up north in warranty period wouldn't be worth the saving of 4-500 euro. What do you think?

If you can find a car for me up the north, bring it down and do all that has to be done, I'll give u cost+€200;)???

cormie wrote:

If you can find a car for me up the north, bring it down and do all that has to be done, I'll give u cost+€200;)???

no thanks got bigger fish to fry but at least u understand not paying more than 4500 for one although if u insist on black u will b limiting urself. anyway good luck
    :)

wow? haha, I thought €200 was an unrefusable offer, ok, I'll stop being lazy and get on it myself! I'll post when I get a new car anyway, it's gotta be black :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I dunno' if anyone else has this experience. Black cars are the worst I ever owned. Swirlies impossible to polish out, primer underneath grey, every stone chip shows up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thats a pretty high price for the mileage.
    I had a look at one before I got mine a '99 1l polo in Carlow and it was 5100 there was only 30k on the clock.

Shop around check buy and sell,the newspapers and the garages and you will find a good deal:)

Advertisement