Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos - Everyones got one now

Options
  • 21-01-2005 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Now that the more and more of us are getting tattoos does anyone agree that its taking away from it. I used to think if you got a tattoo you belonged to a particular group, you were different. Same with Piercings, only not everyone gets certain areas pierced. What do ya think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

ether wrote:
    Now that the more and more of us are getting tattoos does anyone agree that its taking away from it. I used to think if you got a tattoo you belonged to a particular group, you were different. Same with Piercings, only not everyone gets certain areas pierced. What do ya think?

Hey, c'mon, you're making it sound like some exclusive club now. Just be happy that you got them done back when they were considered fashionable and rare. So many things that were unique a few years ago are being hoored and prostituted by society these days. As you say Tatts and Piercings are 2 good examples; others would be coloured contact lenses (which every knob has now, whether they need them or not), that david beckham haircut, shotgun jeans, oversized sunglasses etc.
    As much as I hate to sound maudlin, nothing is sacred these days. If there's money to be made, it'll be hoored.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

You're right, its just annoying thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

So what you're saying is everyone who got a tattoo years ago, is 'cool' whereas people that are only getting them now aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

No I'm not saying that at all. It just used to be something that not everyone did. Now that anybody has a tattoo it doesn't feel the same. I suppose it was just a matter of time for it to happen, same with everything nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I dunno. I think it's a bit shallow that you would get a tattoo just to be different.. and not be the same as everyone else. It's not an accessory.. like a haircut.. it is slightly longer lasting! And I think if someone wants to get a tattoo they really don't care about the general image of what they portray.. it's for themselves.. it's a personal thing. Between picking out a tat that is appropriate for themselves alone makes it unique for them, and not just a "hooring" thing. That's just my opinion!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

There was always people who'd get a tattoo just to "belong" - the only difference is they're not trying to belong to some sub-culture anymore because it's become mainstream. If you get a tattoo for any other reason than you like it and think it looks good (actually it should mean something to you too) you're a knob. Always were, always will be.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I actually dont consider a Tattoo as "fashionable" tbh.

The only reason people say they are more fashionable is because like Blitzkreig says they`ve become more mainstream.
    Tattoo parlours now are more like your ordinary shop-front type place and not as dingy as they were when I started getting inked 13 years ago.Back then I think most people were afraid to go near these places but now you can get one done while you`re out doing your Saturday shopping in Dublin--Temple Bar,Stephens green shopping centre etc and its done with the utmost professionalism.

Now all we need is a set of hygiene standards set down by the Health Boards to really bring the art into the mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Who cares what everyone else has got, as long as you're happy with what you have what does it matter, most of these idiots who get them for the sake of fashion will only end up getting them removed in a few years when they've gone out of fashion again. Besides, if it wasn't for these yuppies half the tattoo and piercing parlours mightn't have enough regular business to remain open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 padster

i remember on one occasion during a sitting when gettin my arm done this bird walks in off the street and says to the guy at reception "can ye's do does angle thigs tattoos ye know de ones dont ye's" we broke our **** laughin people are gettin tattooed more often for all the wrong reasons it should mean something like every orher girl you see has a peice of tribal on her lower back come on girls it dosent make you cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

ha ha ha soon i will be cool for not havin one!the minority will win!ha ha ha :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, personally I would never pick a tatto out of one of the books they have displaying them. Anything I'd have inked into me would be designed by me and would mean something to me alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Yeah, personally I would never pick a tatto out of one of the books they have displaying them. Anything I'd have inked into me would be designed by me and would mean something to me alone.

I only have one piece out of 14 tattoos that came from a book & even at that, it's a "one off design" of sorts by a world renouned tattoo artist from the Czech Republic...... everything else, I either designed or had a hand in designing....

Tribals have pretty much become the defacto choice of tattoo for the "fashionista" - which I tend to stay away from - as for piercings, it seems that tongue piercings, lip piercings, scaffold ear piercings, & belly buttons are the defacto piercing choices.....

My personal choices of piercings & tattoos would not be for the fashionistas as they're extreme by standard choices. One thing I have noticed is - that there still seems to be some element/stigma attached to both in Irish society. I was wearing an open shirt out on Friday nite in a bar & the amount of women who came up to grab peeks at my chest tattoos & check out the rest of my tattoos & piercings is pretty astonishing..... they might be more visible in our society, but I still think there is some element of shock still that is appealing to the "virgin skinned" majority....

::: ven0mous :::

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Celtic designs are timeless, and who cares if they came from a book, they are not original, they are distinctly tribal.

Yeah, I'm just uneasy with the idea of having something inked into my skin that's readily available as a pick and choose option to everyone else. Even a celtic design would be heavily customised and personalised before it went in my skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Yeah, I'm just uneasy with the idea of having something inked into my skin that's readily available as a pick and choose option to everyone else. Even a celtic design would be heavily customised and personalised before it went in my skin.

In this case my opinion is dont mess with the tried and tested, you gonna alter bits from the book of Kells?

Don't know to be honest. Celtic tattoos wouldn't be my first choice anyway but everything'd have to be custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

yeah i have been thinkin of some celtic work i have to ideas ethier a band around my wrist only slighty higher so it wont be visiable with a long sleeved shirt or a celtic cricle on the flat part of my forearm just b4 the joint

Advertisement