Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat pump and KW load

• 21-01-2005 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

We are planning on using a ground source heat pump to heat the
    UFH, the Electrician says that 12kw Heat pump would be way too high a load on our supply

We have UFH pipes upstairs and downstairs,
    > electricity supply is single phase(don't fully understand the
    > single/2/3 phase thing)........planning to use ground source
    > (Geothemal)collector pipes (but I am also considering Air to water)
    > total heated floor area is about 1800 sq ft.......

Anyone know about heat pumps and the Kw load?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Don't know much about pumps but thats nearly 55 amps which is quite a lot considering the main breaker on a domestic board is rated at 63 amps. If you had your pump cooker shower and a few other things on you would trip the board

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Marko - We are building a 2100sq ft house and are installing a 10kw heatpump.
    We are also putting in UFH upstairs and dowstairs.

12kw seems a little high, the higher the KW the bigger the cost of heatpump so I would be querying it.

Who u get the quotes off for both heatpump and UFH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mark0

Hi yop

We got quotes for both UFH and Heat pump from Aqutech in Cork
    (we installed the ufh pipes ourselves)
    Do you have any concerns about the 10 kw Heat pump and the load on your electricity supply?
    I must shop around the different suppliers for more info and quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 slayer92

You may have your figures mixed up.
    The 12kw refers to the amount of heat generated by the heat pump system. The actual electrical load is size of the electrical motor which powers the compressor on the heat pump. This motor uses anywhere from 1 to 2 KW in electrical power. Make to get the night rate meter installed by the ESB as well. This way you can run your system at night (at half price) to charge up the Underfloor heating.

Regards
    slayer92

Thanks slayer

I'll check out the correct kw for the heat pump motor.

Mark0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Marko - the 10KW is the heat pump.
    Doing the UFH myself, got all the materials for 4400k Euro so happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Mark0,
    Here is some detail on one of the Nibe heat pumps.

Electric input * 2.5 kW
    Heat capacity * 11.7 kW

So as you can see, your Elec requirement is only 2.5KW to get 11.7KW output.
    The info can be seen here.
    http://www.nibe.com/heating/produkter/mvp/F1110b.htm

Can't find details on the climate Master site in relation to input so you could look there also for more info.

Steve

Yes.....silly me thinking the output was the energy input.....(As the saying goes "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing")......I will be looking at nibe heat pumps tomorrow.

Advertisement