Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT have threatened that I will be "Charged"

Options
  • 21-01-2005 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

Today my father recieved a phone call from Esat BT.
    They instructed him to "stop downloading movies"
    Now I have used port 6881 quite a bit and recently changed it to port 49152.
    I'm on IOL NoLimits(the 56k version that isnt open to new users anymore) and freqeuntly leave my pc downloading stuff over night, patches and whatnot.
    They also knew my name, which since the account is in my mothers name and I never gave esat my name implies they were looking over my shoulder.

Has this ever happened to you or anybody you know? I have considered the possibility it was a prank but I don't believe it was.
    Thank you to anyone who can offer advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

Yeah, I'm leaning towards that. Plus I don't believe they'd have used the words "stop downloading movies" in a business call. My dad is down the pub and I haven't had a chance to talk to him yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Sounds like someone is winding u up

EDIT: If they were looking over your shoulder you could sue their asses off and drag them through so much in crap in the media they'd drown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

If the account is in your mothers name they would have asked to speak to her , not your father. Large pinch of salt needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sounds like someone is winding u up

EDIT: If they were looking over your shoulder you could sue their asses off and drag them through so much in crap in the media they'd drown.

`don't be so melodramatic. They're perfectly entitled to look at your usage if they receive a cease and desist notice from the RIAA, for example.

But I do think this could be a wind up, as you're a dialup user.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

eth0_ wrote:
    `don't be so melodramatic. They're perfectly entitled to look at your usage if they receive a cease and desist notice from the RIAA, for example.

But I do think this could be a wind up, as you're a dialup user.

If they got his name they must have sniffed his email or something- illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

If they got his name they must have sniffed his email or something- illegal

Or else it's your dad wanting you to stop tying up a phone line for 24hr periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

ESAT tried to ring me on Thursday but i can't be arsed to ring em back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Being a dialup user or not is totally irrelevant. As is switching/using random ports.

If esat didn't have your name as the bill payer and they asked for you, then it was a windup by one of your mates. Or one of your dads mates, trying to get you off the phoneline.

Advertisement