Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ confirm Radio 1 and 2FM changes

Options
  • 21-01-2005 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

The worst kept secret in broadcasting is out.....

New radio shows for Finucane & Tubridy
    http://www.rte.ie/arts/2005/0121/radio.html
    RTÉ Radio 1 announced on Friday that Marian Finucane will be moving to a brand new magazine style programme running on Saturday and Sunday mornings from 11am to 1pm.

The show will be a live, topical magazine programme. On Saturdays, it will focus on the week gone by and on Sundays on the week to come. The programme will be starting in September. Her daily programme will continue until the summer.

Speaking about the new show Marian said: "I'm really looking forward to it. A whole new challenge, delivering to a new weekend audience."

It has also been announced that Ryan Tubridy will move to RTÉ Radio 1, beginning with a new show in June in the summer schedule in the 9am-11am time slot.

Speaking about his new move, Ryan said: "I've had a great 3 years on RTÉ 2fm and have had a great reaction from the audience. I'm very excited about returning to RTÉ Radio 1. The timing is right and I'm really looking forward to getting started."

On RTÉ 2fm from mid-March, Ruth Scott and Rick O'Shea will present The Full Irish.

Adrian Moynes, Director of Radio, said, "We've been listening to the listeners. We're confident both channels are making the right moves at the right time. Marian's style and rapport with the audience will attract listeners to a new kind of weekend radio. And both channels are renewing their schedules, Monday to Friday."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I bet she's quietly crushed...Finucane has been ruderless since she got booted from Liveline. Joe Duffy is soooooo much better as a rule than she was by the end. She was still on a handsome salary as I recall though presumably two shows a week means a wage cut and a pissed off Brendan Balfe and Tom McGurk. As for Tibridy, two hours 5 days a week????????

Where does that leave Today with Pat Kenny? Or The boyo from Leeside?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

On Summer hols. He doesn't join Radio 1 until June, when Pat will get a well earned top-up of his coat of creosote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

It's a bit of a gamble for RTE, can you see the 18-35 age group switching over from Ray Darcy or local stations.I presume tubridy will be doing more current affairs stuff.

I dont think it will hit the provincial local stations, as they are already catering for the 35+ audience in the daytime...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think he will do well there. He did start out as a cub reporter on 5-7 Live so current affairs will not be a problem. His personality and interests are better suited to RTE1 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I would say marian finucane is foaming at the mouth having had her weekday show axed. was never a fan of hers since she left liveline anyway. Joe Duffy is marginally better than her, but he aint great at it either.

personally I enjoyed Ryan tuberdy on 2FM. I havent liked ruth scott since she started on live95fm in limerick, and I still don't like her.

mid morning will still be ray darcy for me, .

By all reports, Marian wanted the move. She wanted out of the Monday-Friday schedule. I used to like Ruth Scott on 2FM before, The press and other forums claimed it was an acrimonious split at the time, and I think the move to 98FM was a bad one.... national radio to local radio.... at least she has got back again. In Radio, you sometimes dont get second chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Who are these people and why on earth would I want to listen to them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Who are these people and why on earth would I want to listen to them ?

Ryan Tubridy? I think he used to be Plug from The Beano. As for the second part of your question, that's beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I don't understand the appeal of Ryan Tubridy. He's so ugly I can't even *listen* to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

DMC wrote:
    By all reports, Marian wanted the move. She wanted out of the Monday-Friday schedule.

Sunday morning 11-1 is an excellent spot for her. Not sure about the Saturday one.

Advertisement