Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthma

• 21-01-2005 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Anybody here dive with asthma. I am planning the PADI open water in the summer and I'd like to know if doctors feel asthma is a no-no.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

Some info here ...

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/index.asp

... but you would be best advised to talk to a doctor familiar with diving medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Here's a list of Irish doctors who maybe able to help you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1076666&postcount=12

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭del_c

i'd asthma when I went diving...quick puff of an inhaler beforehand will sort you.

PADI do ask for a dr. cert from you if you say you have asthma...i got one on holidays in thailand....i had got one a few years previously in germany too.

all in all, no big deal i think; friend of mine is an asthmatic doctor, who dives too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

I have asthma and dive all the time

i did my open water in Australia about 6 or 7 years ago, had to do a fairly long medical, which included breathing some gas mixture (cant remember what it was) for about 90mins, with breaks every 15 mins for lung tests.

once is passed the medical, my open water course was the same as everyone else.

Did the Advanced and Rescue course in Ireland and didn't have to do a medical.
    Did the DSAT Tech course in malta and didn't have to do a medical either.

i have gone to a max depth of 60m, done plenty of extended range dives and deco dives and have never had an issue with my asthma, i also have never used an inhaler before a dive.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Have to agree with Evil Phil........& As none of us here are qualified to give medical advise, can I also suggest that your GP contacts the Medical Commission of the Irish Underwater Council(CFT) for further info if required;

Chairman, CFT Medical Commission
    78A Patrick Street, Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin (Tel: 01 2844601 | confidential email: medical@cft.ie)

Benny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

you can ask your GP if (s)he is doing dive medicals. and it all depends on the type of asthma you have. Or try ringing one of the docs Evil Phil has linked..

also you can look at issued guidelines on asthma from the UK Sports diving medical commission to get an idea about yes and nos.

http://www.uksdmc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=2

Bottom line, its your health and only you can decide whether to go to an expert and accept the possible contraindication or to consult someone that may pass you, but doesn't really know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

I'm not an expert but I have asthma and dive. I can only offer you my experience but it is in no way a guideline.
    I went to my doctor to get his opinion, said it was fine with my type of asthma and what triggers it. I don't think I would dive though if I felt I needed my inhaler just beforehand. I had an incident not too long ago in the park where I didn't have my inhaler for 20 minutes and trying to make it home scared me enough to not put myself in that predicament under water, especially when I would have to stop for a deco for awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭denismc

Guys,
    This thread started over 6 years ago, Do you think the op might have it sorted yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Ack, blah.. zombie threads! I'm too easily confused.
    It has been much too quite around here too, everyone must be too busy diving to type about diving.

Advertisement