Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

practical lab notebook?

Options
  • 21-01-2005 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if youre expected to produce your lab notebooks as part of your grade for the L.C in either biology, chemistry or physics?

one of my teachers is saying we do and some of mine are probably too sloppy to be accepted

i couldnt get an answer on google so an answer would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

When I did physics about 4 years ago we had to submit our notebooks for grading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

a new course came in afew years back as far as i understand it,they _can_ ask you for your practical logbook but they only ask a relitivly small %age of overall students

however if you dont produce it they have the right to not correct your written paper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Theoretically they should all be written up, but what we did was wrote up the ones we did in 5th year and start of 6th year then as year got busier we left them, so if inspector had said they were calling to check them we would only have to write up a few over a few days. As already stated they check a tiny number of them and by checking they don't give you a grade or anything that counts towards LC its just to make sure you're doing them (silly really cause you can write them up without doing them) but there ya go. Don't worry too much about them unless ur teacher tells you they're checking them cause they mightn't correct your exam if they can't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I know of two schools in Cork City that are being examined over the next few weeks. I am pretty sure you would have heard by now if they were examining yours. You get up to 8 days notice. 8 school days I think that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

problem is i was worrying about having to go through the hassle of re-writing a good few experiments

it is stupid grading people on the lab books as they dont at all reflect your knowledge of the material

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

It's not part of your grade, but if you can't show them to an examiner you won't be allowed sit the Leaving Cert. A few months ago some examiner's came to my school and asked for all the Biology students to have their experiment write ups in. They give you a warning in advance, if you haven't got them you get a second chance, cos they hang around for a few days. You'll also get asked a few questions, a few of my friends had to do an experiment infront of them. But it's not too big of a deal if you don't know stuff. It really doesn't happen that much so maybe you shouldn't worry bout it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Petal

When in 6th year last year, Biology, an examiner came out to check our lab work books. I think its just to check you did all the practical work. I never handed one up. I dont think it counts towards your grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

thanks everyone for clearing that one up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I had an inspector arrive a few years back looking for the lab books for my physics class. We got less than a week's notice - notified on Monday that he was arriving on Friday. Fortunately I always insisted that experiments were written up on a continual basis.

At the time, there was a figure going around that only something like 5-10% of schools were targeted. However I have heard that there is a determined effort being made to increase it to around 50%.

Marks are not awarded for the lab books, however the inspector is well within his/her rights to insist that the experiments are done. They are mandatory in each syllabus and they can insist that they are done.

The one thing that I do remember is that the inspector went through the notebooks fairly carefully. He was able to comment on the equipment being used as the results were not ideal.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

The lab book does NOT effect your grade at all, your just rtequired to have it done.. kinda stupid, cos it has no effect on your over all grade...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

for things like physics it really is important otherwise you could just grab the notes from some grind school and get an A in physics

if you tried going to collage to study it and you dont know what the fcuk your doing in the labs you really would look like some goon (seen it happen at the start of the year in ucd ;) )

Advertisement