Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing in Dublin?

• 21-01-2005 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Since we're all talking about functionality in martial arts, does anyone know what the story is with boxing clubs in the Dublin area?

Are they open to beginners, do they let you just walk in off the street and sign up? Are they more interested in serious competitors or do they have guys just training to keep in shape.

There seems to be plenty of martial artists inviting everyone along to their clubs, does boxing have the same kind of attitude?
    Does anyone have positive or negative experiences of them??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭paul moran

Hey Mikel,

In my experience boxing clubs, like any other "functional" fighting systems are most welcoming to all. They are always looking for members to add to their numbers as the more varied the membership the better for all those training in the club. Alot of clubs will only focus on those who are interested in competing, although paying your fees and training is always an option. Training in a boxing club = lots of cardio, core training, skipping, shadow boxing, pad work, bag work and sparring. Lots of wtare and tee-shirts required. Best to bring gumshield and handwraps, also own bag-mitts if you have them.

Some club are better run than others, the real difference you'll notice (if you are coming from a MA background) is the high standard of coaching. All boxing coches have to hold a coaching badge, something that will eventually be mandatory in all sports in the near future. Ireland are \bout 10 years behind the rest of Europe!!

Best thing to do is visit www.iaba.ie for your loacl club. Give them a buzz and arrange to try out a session. Don't worry about been dragged into the ring on your first night, but in my experience some coaches like the baptism of fire approach, don't be too afraid to say "you need a while to get to grips with the fitness levels required, the combinations, guard, footwork etc."

Most coaches like to offer some sparring kind of like a courtesy. After all if you trained with a soccer club, you'ld play some ball?!?! If they have some experienced boxers available to spar with, give it a go as they will be very respectful of your level and will take it easy, they will work on their footwork and defence as you work on your combinations and guard.

"boxing along with muay thai and bjj are all something that should be experienced by all Martial artists!"

Paul Moran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Thanks for the reply Paul, boxing seems to have a very low profile on this board for some reason.
    I saw an advert for Phibsboro boxing club last week, thats not too far from where i work so i might give them a shout, the ad said beginners are welcome.
    I was hoping to pick peoples brains about which clubs are more appropriate for raw beginners, or maybe its just a matter of shopping around.

Have any of the fighters here got any experience of boxing? Are there good and bad things i should watch out for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Mikel,

I had the good fortune to work in the IABA High Performance Division for 3 months last year, training with Andy Lee before he fought in Athens.

Basically all I can say in Boxing is good. Personally I'd prefer if during the training sessions there was more sparring and less bag/pad work, but striking styles seem to enjoy this method. I would definitely recommend you go down to that club and give it a shout.

Maybe you could post your experience here for more people to read?

Peace Out,
    Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

where you livingin mikel, what age and weight are you and how serious are you about training in boxing?

can help you out when you let me know a wee bit more bout yourself, thanks

Hi Paddy, I live in the west dublin area, and work on the northside. I'm 25 and around 13 st, im not interested in competing or anything, just looking to train a couple of times a week for fitness and learn the basics. I dont tend to get in fights so im not worried about becoming a killing machine! :p

The bread and butter of throwing, taking and avoiding punches will do me, plus even some of the fitness those guys have would do nicely!!! :)

Cheers

• Advertisement

Mikel

where on the n side are you working, there a boxing gym right beside arbour hill prison, they not bad and i think it suit you there, all times are displayed there but i think its at 6pm most nights of the week...

At 25 they aint gonna take to much interest in you especially if you never trained b4... no boxing gym will :) But if you prepared to train in the corner for a few weeks then i am sure that they will take you on and start to show you things, they are very nice lads in there and i dont want to give you the wrong impression but thats the way proper gyms work... fighters come first.

They keep and eye on you but you have to prove t them that you wanna learn b4 they start training you.

give it a go. paddy

Thanks for that Paddy, I don't want to be wasting anyone's time, once or twice a week on the simple stuff would suit me. I know the bridgestone let you take a class and pay a few quid, a boxing club like that would suit me down to the ground. No point pretending to be a contender if I'm not!! :)

aye give the aul boxing a shot man, i train in bstone and there loads of lads in there standing in the corners watching :p dont be afriad to try it ouy, but ddefinitely with the number of boxing gyms etc etc i sure you aint got any difficulty finding somewhere

all the best paddy

Advertisement