Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Higher Diploma in Psychology (H.Dip.Psych.)

• 21-01-2005 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

woooops, a slightly serious thread i know but does anyone know anything about this new post-grad course starting in october 2005?? as usual there's not a mention on the graduate studies site and only a half-hearted bit on the psychology dept website.... maybe some psychology undergrads know something? from what i gather you don't have to have an undergrad degree in psychology to do it?? and does it give you the same recognition as an undergrad degree for thr purposes of further study/work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

If I understand it correctly it's the same thing they offer in UCD - two-year post-grad course for people with non-psychology undergraduate degrees, enabling you to go on and do further study in the field - so when psychology post-grad courses say you must have whatever it is, a psychology degree 'or equivalent', the HDip would be the equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

ah good stuff thats what i was thinking, i guess theres so little info on it cos its a new course. grrrrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

As claire h said, it will give you the equivalent qualification as a primary undergraduate degree in psychology and also membership to the PSI. If it's anything like the UCD HDip, you need at least a 2.1 honours degree and some relevant work experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Its a conversion course to Psychology for dosser classics and philosophy students who don't want to flip burgers for a living.

http://www.tcd.ie/Psychology/HDipPsych.html

Probably be slightly harder to get into than UCD's

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

woooops, a slightly serious thread i know

we cant have this going on here? whats this? The su boards?

I emailed the department and found out a little more about this course

1) You actually have to have your degree when you apply (and closing date is around end of march) so you can't just go straight from your degree into this postgraduate course in the same year.

2) The fees are €7900 per academic year.

3) It is a highly intensive course (covering 3-4 years of coursework in 2 years).

4) You don't have to have an undergraduate degree in psychology to gain entry, as long as you have a BSc or a BA Honours degree with a high result (2.1 at least).

5) It gives you the same accreditation as an undergraduate degree in psychology. (ie. Graduate membership to the Psychological Society of Ireland, and access to postgraduate courses in psychology)

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sigmund

:D hey everybody
    I know I am probably in the wrong place to be asking this, i am a new user and i am finding it hard to comprehend all the studies and degrees you need to be a psychologist. As a career i am highly interested in being a psychologist but i do not know where to start. I am doing a ten week diploma course in child psychology but to my dismay i found out last night it is only accredited by the college itself. after forking out a lot of money i am beginning to tear my hair out. i live in limerick too and cannot travel , having a little three year old boy means i cannot study full time. anybody know what i can do? and where can i go in limerick to find the right course?
    also what is the difference jobwise between a psychologist and a psychotherapist?
    cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Psychology is a general degree. If you want to work as a clinical psychologist (which BTW is a career of HUGE demand in ireland) you unfortunately have to do a postgraduate qualification in addition to the undergraduate one.

Sorry.......

You thought about Open University? Saves the hassle if you have to stay at home and travelling is not a good option for you.......

Be careful with the OU degree, as far as I know it's not accredited by the PSI which will make your life difficult when applying for postgraduate courses. (Which will more than likely be required for a career in psychology) unless you plan on going to the UK to do the postgraduate course as I believe they are much easier to get into over there..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

thanks a mill for that Repli although i have applied this year for october admission and am only doing my finals this year. I emailed them to check cos i know for the ucd equiv you have to actually have your degree when you apply, and they didnt mention anything, plus the dept sent me an email asking me for my reults when i get them in the summer from my finals, so maybe this is ok??

anyway thanks again

thanks a mill for that Repli although i have applied this year for october admission and am only doing my finals this year. I emailed them to check cos i know for the ucd equiv you have to actually have your degree when you apply, and they didnt mention anything, plus the dept sent me an email asking me for my reults when i get them in the summer from my finals, so maybe this is ok??

anyway thanks again

I'm not sure about the whole 'needing your degree before you apply' issue. Keep me updated about how you get on =) I won't be applying to this course until around Jan/Feb of next year because I'm not sitting my finals until next May.
    Just one other thing regarding the fees (€7900) I heard the government fund SOME higher diploma courses in the same way as they fund degrees (which would mean only having to pay the capitation fee of €700 or so per year) but I'm not sure where to find information on which courses they fund.. anyone?

Advertisement