Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Vs Villa (May contain goals)

• 22-01-2005 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

Rio should return, Giggs should start, Smith still out. United would go 2nd with a win until Sunday (at least). Prediction: 2-0 home win.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

cant see anything but a united win.

3-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

on RTE today

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm praying for a draw, but I think it's unlikely, although we gave them a good run for their money at Villa Park over xmas. I'd imagine O'Leary will go for 4-5-1 again, and with Hitz the hammer set to return maybe he could bang in one from 30 yards to give us a draw, although he could play Cole out on the left again. Come on the Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Carroll, G. Neville, Ferinand, Silvestre, Heinze, Fletcher Keane Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney, Saha

Subs: Howard, Brown, Giggs, O' Shea, Fortune

Sorensen, Delaney, Mellberg, Ridgewell, Samuel, Berson, Solano, Hendrie, Davis, Barry, Angel

Subs: Hitzlperger, Postma, De La Cruz, Cole, L. Moore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

1-0 Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Villa looking crap in defence. Fletcher is completely anonymous for Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

half time 1 - 0 man utd.
    Ryan Giggs should be taken on in second half. United have no width whatsoever. Villa defending well on wings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Terrible passing from United, with Keane surprisingly being the worst culprit. Ronaldo and ridgewell are lucky that the ref had some sense, i've seen players sent off for less as both players raised their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Villa looking crap in defence. Fletcher is completely anonymous for Man U.

shame on you dissing fletcher
    :mad:

• Advertisement

1-1 Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

2-1 and then 3-1 to Man U.

Villa have totally crumbled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Villa need some new players quick, some of those young lads looked completly lost out there. Ridgewell and Davis will never be premiership players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Villa need some new players quick, some of those young lads looked completly lost out there. Ridgewell and Davis will never be premiership players.
    Didn't Davis get MOM on his debut?

Ok maybe I was being a touch harsh, I just got so worked up watching him give away the ball needlessly during the match. He tries to play his way out of tight spots when he should just boot the ball into touch. Ridgewell was all over the shop, we need Laursen back desperately.

They are both young lads and should be introduced slowly to gain confidence. As Doug won't dip into his pocket, these two players have been thrown in at the deep end and look out of their depth.

while villa have a squad down to the bare bones its nice to see young players given a chance where as most clubs in that position have average foreign imports to throw in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Laursen please get fit quick, our defence needs some help, I didn't want O'Brien to sign, but now I'd get my right hand for him. Davis is very good but still young and as O'Leary has said he'd rather not have to play the young players so much but the squad is tiny.

I can't understand why we didn't sign Faye, we need to buy badly, Mellberg is solid as a rock all he needs is a decent player along side him and we would be very hard to break down.

On a side note I'd love to play against Heinze just so I got him a elbows back, he was using him arms all game and while Solano was wrong to tackle him from behind I can't blaim him.

Good point, Heinze has joined the list of players who make my blood boil. I have only seen one or 2 Man Utd matches this season, this game was the first that he has cought my attention. He's one of those rat bag players, who's constantly niggling at attackers. Trying to pull them off the ground when they are injured, shoulders going everywhere and just generally being a tosser. How can players keep their temper in check with him carring on like that? Fair play to Solano because if I was him I'd have been sent off for breaking his legs.

solano lost it, heinse has left full sewn up in premier league team of the season

super player :p

Good display by Man U this afternoon. Pity about that conceded goal though. It was good to see Saha scoring even if it was deflected.

What about Wayne Rooney though, its about time he started to show why we splashed out so much money for him. He had a great chance at the beginning of the second half and scuffed it yet again. Only downside of the afternoon was Roy Keane getting booked and now misses the cup game against 'Boro next weekend

• Advertisement

Ok preformance from United. Just did enough for the win. Roll on Wednesday and Chelski. Guys you're looking at the new Carling Cup champions. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Good point, Heinze has joined the list of players who make my blood boil. I have only seen one or 2 Man Utd matches this season, this game was the first that he has cought my attention. He's one of those rat bag players, who's constantly niggling at attackers. Trying to pull them off the ground when they are injured, shoulders going everywhere and just generally being a tosser. How can players keep their temper in check with him carring on like that? Fair play to Solano because if I was him I'd have been sent off for breaking his legs.
    Heinze is just a typical south american defender, his style is the same as i've seen as all south american defenders over the years playing in Italy and Spain. They are niggly and petty and throw 100% into each challenge but they do just enough to stay on the right side of the ref(most of the time). It can be infuriating to watch if your team is playing against one but i'd rather have a no nonsense south american defender in my team anyday than most of the typical english defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Alright performance from United, 3 points was the most important thing, but they laboured at times against a very poor Villa side defensively.

Did anyone notice both George Hamilton and Jim Beglin commenting on Saha around the 75minute mark? "He just lacks sharpness, he really needs a goal", lads he scored only a few minutes previously.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Not 3 bad of a performance, nothin if u compare it to the type of football that Chelsea are playing these days but we are still winning.
    Heinze no doubt will be in team of the season and Uniteds player of season.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can someone tell me why on RTE 2 the commentator calls Angel, Ongel???
    CAn they ever get it right

because they are oirish they pronounce things different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Heinze is a legend. Absolutely class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good win for United. I'll happily settle for laboured 3 - 1 wins every week. Heize is an absolute class player. what a buy. He's a tough physical all arms type, he must be a nightmare to play against.
    We're up to second now which is excellent. Chelseas look impossible to catch but a few slip ups and united are ready to pounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nice win, very disappointed to be scored on, was very upset, even though I knew we were gona win.

This is a joke at this stage,
    Chelsea have won the last 9 games now?
    United can't catch up, if they keep this up, they will end up on 103 points :)
    Lunacy, lets hope Chelsea get knocked off course after going out of the league cup, then going out of the CL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

They look absolutely unstoppable. They are absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Villa need players quick, but it looks unlikely now with even O'Leary admitting he's "not confident" of bringing anyone in before the end of the month....

The way Villa is being run is an absolute farce at this stage... Ellis is on 3 weeks holiday in Australia during what should be the busiest time of the year for him. This is O'Learys 4th transfer window since he took charge - summer '03, January '04, summer '04 and now January '05 - and he hasn't been backed once in the transfer market by the Chairman. 4 players have come in for minimal fees during a period that has seen 19 players leave the club.

Ellis keeps harping on about how we don't have money but that's complete bullsh*t. We got £7.9m in Premiership prize money for last seasons 6th place finish, £2m for the sale of Peter Crouch to Southampton, we have new sponsorhip & kit deals with DWS Inverstments and Hummel respectively, and the running costs of a club with only 14 senior professionals can't amount to much, especially when we've a 43,000 seater stadium to help cover it...

Davis is doing OK actually, he didn't have a great game yesterday but he's done very well in others. Ridgewell is a complete liability, and I don't know what's happened to Sorensen. His handling over the last month has been abysmal, he's flapping at crosses now aswell which is something he never used to do....

Dark days indeed for Villa fans

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I was at the game. Fair play to Solano my a*se. He was repeatedly coming in late from behind on Heinze. Some of his tackles were appalling, eh should have been put off. Though Heinze can be quite dirty too, I don't deny - his use of the elbows as stated in particular can be quite dubious, but to say Solano was right to start doing what he did is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Leonard wrote:
    Good display by Man U this afternoon. Pity about that conceded goal though. It was good to see Saha scoring even if it was deflected.

What about Wayne Rooney though, its about time he started to show why we splashed out so much money for him. He had a great chance at the beginning of the second half and scuffed it yet again. Only downside of the afternoon was Roy Keane getting booked and now misses the cup game against 'Boro next weekend
    I know what you mean about Rooney, but I think people need to remember he's only young. People go way over the top or else...er...way under the bottom (??) with players like this. It's not his fault he cost what he did. He's only 19. He's being repeatedly played out of position (left and right wing yesterday). Now I know he totally messed up when he had that chance, but I think it's a bit soon to be saying he must justify his fee. Say he stays with the club for 10 years - even 5 - and is a first team regular through all that time. Do you really think he won't justify his fee? I personally feel he needs a bit of a break, and am hoping to see Ruud and Louis up front once Ruud is back. I think they looked like forming a good pairing the few times they had the chance to play together. In the long run I think Wayne will be a first choice, but for now a break would do him good. I just think though, it's too early to judge. He's 19, has made a big move (presumably his first time living away from his folks) and he's only been playing with teh club since September. That's 5 months. Give the poor lad some leeway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

I thought we'd romp it after the opening 10 minutes when we looked like we could open their defence up at will. By the end I was happy with 3-1 though 'cause we looked really lethargic at times.

Shocking atmosphere at the match - really one of the worst I've come across at Old Trafford. It wasn't helped by the stewards being over officious with the United fans in the East Stand close to the away support. Any time people got up and started a chant they were told to sit down straight away. They tried to throw a bloke a few rows in front of me out for looking over at the away fans too much! :rolleyes:

Funniest thing of the day was the Villa fans chanting 'next year you'll be chelsea fans' and then cheering the Chelsea scoreline and HT and FT as loud as they'd cheered their own team all night :)
    Good point, Heinze has joined the list of players who make my blood boil. I have only seen one or 2 Man Utd matches this season, this game was the first that he has cought my attention.

You've only seen 1 or 2 United matches this season and Heinze is annoying you that much already :eek: He's really developing cult status at OT, very tough defender IMO. I've noticed he does tend to use the shoulder a lot to knock opponents off the ball though, he was pulled up for it in this game and it's something I'd like to see him cut down on.

Advertisement