Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for paypal guidence

Options
  • 22-01-2005 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I am looking for information on selling with pay pal. I find their site realy user unfriendly for hiding content.

I will be selling an application on-line shortly. Its a time limited demo that can be activated with a serial so the user can download the application straight from my site. What they purchase is the serial number.
    I have set up the page and the basic information on pay pal. Its a single sale button i have.

Is there anyway that i can set up that the customer automatically receives the serial number in the pay pal receipt?

Does a customer have to be a member of pay pal to purchase?

I seen something on the site about pay pal not accepting purchases under €750 from an unverified member. Yet i have made purchases under that before and i am not verified. Did i interpret it wrong and what is the story with it?

I am unable to use my credit card for another couple of weeks so i cant test the set up. When a customer makes a payment do i get a mail notifying me of the transaction and it is then up to me to forward on the relevant product/serial?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Alan

You need to be a member of Paypal to make payments to another paypal member. If you had a US paypal account you would be able to offer the CC payment option, but that isn't open to Irish accounts

With regard to sending particular information to users on purchase, this is possible, but you'd have to do something via the paypal API.

There are a number of scripts for software downloads etc., that hook into the paypal API over on Hotscripts.com that might help you get a few ideas.

If you are going to be processing any amount of cash with this I would recommend you look at something else, as the membership thing is a real problem.

HTH

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Thanks Michele,
    What other options are there that dont involve a full merchant account?
    Are there any software gateways that sell software like this for you and take a (small) cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

Did you have a look at Endeavour, they're reasonably priced. Have a look at this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=212356

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

As a normal PayPal user, you can set up subscriptions or sales, but the buyer will have to log into or create a PayPal account. I’ve had no problems to date with transactions below €750 as an unverified premier member.

Account transfer to an Irish bank will cost you €1 for amounts below €100 (free for larger transfers) and take about a week and a half. You’re limited to withdrawing €750 per month up to a total of €2,250, until you verify your account.

The fee on a CC transaction is 3.4% + €0.35 (unless you’re a verified merchant). To accept CC payments you need to have a premier / business account - free apart from transaction fees and the only difference between them (that I can see) is that with a business account a buyer will see your company name and with a premier account they’ll see your name on their statements.

With regard to integration, it’s simple enough - all your purchase details are put in an encrypted form field. There are a number of options open to you, including forwarding them to a URL depending upon a successful or unsuccessful transaction. Of course, how you handle verification that someone didn’t just cut ‘n paste a URL into their browser to get to your download page is another matter.

Finally, a few other free options include:

iKobo
    Moneybookers
    StormPay

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Cheers for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement