Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Credentialism

• 22-01-2005 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

On the bus the other day, I heard some people discussing how their friends were studying for a degree in "Property Economics". It appears that you now require this qualification to sell houses, or at least that must be the intention of the colleges that offer the qualification.

When I went to college I obtained a Certificate in Journalism - this took two years. I thought at the time, and still think, that the non-filler parts of the course could have been taught in around one month. That course has since mutated into a degree in journalism (a *degree* in journalism!).

I sometimes wonder how far this credentialism can go. I picture legions of callow youth obtaining degrees in Leadership With A European Language, and the plump children of our rulers graduating in Marketing With Politics.

Also, does thinking that all of this is absurd make me a crank?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

No i would agree but only now has it been associated with the *clever* jobs, for instance apprentieships 5 years to be an trademan :eek: 12 months would be more like it.

Would a college make more money extending the span of the course?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

The skill required to do a trade takes time to develop. If you had any sort of perspective you'd realise this. I think I'd enjoy watching you wire a factory or put together a cabinet (fit for sale) after 12 months in an apprenticeship.

By contrast, I'd say you could go pass a 1st year Psychology university exam after a month of preparation. That's assuming you have the brains for so called "clever" subjects.

Back on topic, I think these ultra specific subjects are the product of a 3rd level education system that's more about employment than learning.
    I think it's a shame, but at the same time, most people I know are doing their degree purely for the status and financial gain their degree should offer them when they go about finding a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭monster_fighter

KdjaC wrote:
    No i would agree but only now has it been associated with the *clever* jobs, for instance apprentieships 5 years to be an trademan :eek: 12 months would be more like it.

Would a college make more money extending the span of the course?

kdjac

H, ha.
    Try telling a cabinet maker that!
    It takes 10 years to get the skillz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The skill required to do a trade takes time to develop. If you had any sort of perspective you'd realise this. I think I'd enjoy watching you wire a factory or put together a cabinet (fit for sale) after 12 months in an apprenticeship.

By contrast, I'd say you could go pass a 1st year Psychology university exam after a month of preparation. That's assuming you have the brains for so called "clever" subjects.

Back on topic, I think these ultra specific subjects are the product of a 3rd level education system that's more about employment than learning.
    I think it's a shame, but at the same time, most people I know are doing their degree purely for the status and financial gain their degree should offer them when they go about finding a job.

Bricklayer/painter/plaster 5 years apprenticeship.
    All the theory is done in the 1st year in most trades plumber/ electrician have learnt all they will need to by then , then its on site for 4 years. Must be hard to learn all those skills in 4 years.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

KdjaC wrote:
    Bricklayer/painter/plaster 5 years apprenticeship.
    All the theory is done in the 1st year in most trades plumber/ electrician have learnt all they will need to by then , then its on site for 4 years. Must be hard to learn all those skills in 4 years.

kdjac

I'm not sure I understand you, but you seem to be comparing the 5-year apprenticeship to a degree. However, surely it is more accurate to compare the degree to the "theory done in the 1st year"? After all, someone with a degree also needs to do the time "on site" to be considered fully competent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement