Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend Racing (Jan 22/23)

• 22-01-2005 2:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Yay, it's the weekend, where we get races with things like "Grade 1" or "Listed" in the race-name rather than "Class G4" or "Class Mickey-Mouse-H9" or whatever. :)

Yet in saying that, I'm finding it hard to pick out some winners. Odds-on favourites like Inglis Drever (1:10 Haydock) and Trabolgan (2:40 Haydock) almost look like good things but I'd be wary of taking short prices on either. Heavy ground can produce some shock results and it's not as if their opponents are pushovers.

I think my only bet on Saturday will be Ashley Brook (1:55 Uttoxeter). The Racing Post Forecast has him in at 3/1 third favourite behind Contraband and My Will but I think Ashley Brook could go off as favourite. He has only won two Class C novice chases so far whereas the other pair both won Grade 2 races last time out (the same class as this race) but I still think he can lead them a merry dance and run them into the ground.

Sunday sees some good racing at Leopardstown, highlighted by the Irish Champion Hurdle (2:45). Macs Joy is favourite after his impressive win here at Christmas and there is no reason to suggest that he won't run as well again. Brave Inca was second that day and is still my fancy for the English Champion Hurdle in March. As in his last 3 races, he won't be relishing the soft ground but will keep battling and stay on to the end. Hardy Eustace and Accordian Etoile would also both prefer better ground but should still run well enough. Solerina will obviously love the soft ground, will front-run (duh! :p ) but as usual, will find it difficult to burn off such classy horses over 2 miles and will just set it up for the others. So who's going to win it??

Eh... I don't have a clue! This means that I'll be backing the one horse that I didn't mention yet - Georges Girl - the outsider of the six. She's also a soft-ground lover, she finished 5th behind most of this lot at the Christmas meeting but that was just her season pipe-opener and she finished 2nd in this race last year (admittedly in a below-par race). So I think she has a bit of a squeak and that at a double-figure price she might be worth a small investment. (Hrmm, I really don't sound too confident at all here, do I? Probably because I'm not.)

I've just realised that people looking for tips for the weekend's racing will be very disappointed by the time they reach the end of this post. Sorry! :)

Good luck all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I'll throw up my bets, no doubt they'll all lose, but it's good to share

12.35 Baby Run - [came in second]
    1.10 Inglis Drever - [won at low odds]
    1.25 Napolitian & Dom Dorgeval (RForecast) - [Dom won it, Nap not placed]
    1.30 Shalako - [nooooo]
    1.40 Patriarch Express & Blue Canyon (RF) - [nooooooo]
    1.45 Cheese N Biscuits [yes]
    2.05 Roschal [noooo]
    2.10 First Gold E/W [2nd]

and Ashley Brook of course [nooo] ;)

Lost a bit from above, some unwise RF bets, luckily I put what I did get back on Always Waining, 3:00 Hy I believe and managed to come out up 80% for the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I didnt post any tips today cause I find when the ground is like it was today and class horses like therealbandit etc are pulled out it spells trouble and that means wait and see what horses are being backed. Examples being Christopher, headlander etc...These days are tough so they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

racing at leopardstown today sunday

5 races on irish tv

my bets

ned kelly
    incas
    brave inca
    arteea
    holly lass

e.w lucky 31

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Ive gone for 3 Barry Geraghty mounts.

Scarthy Lad
    Asian Maze
    Macs Joy

3 singles, 1 treble.

I'm going for a Macs Joy / Brave Inca forecast :)

• Advertisement

chump wrote:
    I'm going for a Macs Joy / Brave Inca forecast :)

well done,you had a bit o luck though :D

More than a little alright, although I've had a few very near winners over the 2 days so I think I deserved that... not a great day for the bookies!

If anyone has any special tips for the weeks racing... be sure to post them up!

here's what happened

ned kelly (ran a good race for 3rd)
    incas(still had a squeak when fell)
    brave inca(beaten in photo)
    arteea(thought timmy could have had him a bit closer to the pace)
    holly lass(pulled way too hard-nowhere)

e.w lucky 31

my saturday bets were
    hand in hand -nowhere
    rathbawn prince 12/1 winner so i did ok over the 2 days :)

Advertisement