Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting A Custom Tattoo?

Options
  • 22-01-2005 2:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting my first tattoo, and it's going to be something that won't be available on sample things they have. So I was wondering, how do I go about it, I obviously bring in the drawing that I want, but what size, roughly the size I want the tattoo, or as big as possible?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

As big or as small as you want,the tatoo artists will be able to do pretty much anything you want,he/she might make a few modifications depending on what kind of design but they will only be small modifications if any.
    The one thing you might have to worry about when it comes to size is how much you are willing to spend. The average tatoo parlour charges 80 eurons per hour working on the tatoo(thats in dublin,dunno about limerick - more than likely its cheaper) so size counts if your poor:)
    Im sure a few people here could direct you to a decent tatoo parlour in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Another very important point is that tatoos tend to smudge over time so the smaller the tatoo the more of the detail will be lost, in otherwords don't waste your time getting something you could fit on a postage stamp, years later it'll look like an ink blob a shrink would show you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Danny Bullman in limerick is supposed to be excellent I know a few people who have been to him. I think he's based in thomas street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

farohar wrote:
    Another very important point is that tatoos tend to smudge over time so the smaller the tatoo the more of the detail will be lost, in otherwords don't waste your time getting something you could fit on a postage stamp, years later it'll look like an ink blob a shrink would show you.

Hmmm, is this true, it was going to be the autobots and decepticons logo side by side on the inside of my arm. Small enough to only be noticed by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Dave wrote:
    Hmmm, is this true, it was going to be the autobots and decepticons logo side by side on the inside of my arm. Small enough to only be noticed by me.
    I was told this both times I went to get custom tattoos done, and by looking at the ones some older people I know have I'd say it's true enough as the lines and details have clearly blurred a bit. An example Karen gave of a bad size was all the girls who go getting the tiny little rose on their hip/lower back, so if you're planning something of that size it might be worth considering getting it done a bit bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I got a custom tattoo done in Sacred Art, and while I had originally wanted it a little smaller, the advice of the guy there was to get it larger, to avoid the blob effect in years to come.

It's four years old now, and I'm pleased with it. It's on my shoulder/upper arm, and is a stylised version of the triskels at Newgrange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

What happens if it's shaded? Will the blob thing still happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Majenta

hay any dudes that are like 14 or 15 around here into piercings and stuff? xxx steph!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Dave wrote:
    What happens if it's shaded? Will the blob thing still happen?
    if its shaded it will blob faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Dave wrote:

Aw man, brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Danny Bullman in limerick is supposed to be excellent I know a few people who have been to him. I think he's based in thomas street.
    Correct, he's located around the corner from Brown Thomas on Thomas St. I got my tattoo done there. I'd recommend him, very friendly atmosphere there too which kinda helps ya rerlax a bit.

If its a custom tattoo you want bring it in, (the exact size ya want), and discuss your options with him.

While on the topic of custom tattoos, I was thinking of getting another one done, I want soething related to my Self Defence training, maybe Korean writing, or a black figure of a guy doing a jump kick. I useless to draw though, so could someone PM me with a sketch. I'd much appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I actually know someone who has the 3 Korean characters for Tae Kwon Do tattooed on her leg, it looks really good. I don't have a picture, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

memphis wrote:
    While on the topic of custom tattoos, I was thinking of getting another one done, I want soething related to my Self Defence training, maybe Korean writing, or a black figure of a guy doing a jump kick. I useless to draw though, so could someone PM me with a sketch. I'd much appreciate it!

just found this, but it's a bit a the small side

08-025-sm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

just found this, but it's a bit a the small side

08-025-sm.jpg
    Yeah, had something like that in mind, that's the general idea anyway. As for size, thats exactly what I'm looking for size wise. Thanks.

Yeah, Kirby, was considering that too, just donno where i'd like it, on the leg just above the ankle sounds kinda cool. Maybe, I'll do it when I get my black belt, have a few more years to go.

Advertisement