Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Holoduel (Another Vid By Me)

• 22-01-2005 2:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

I meant to post this a long while ago but here's a short vid i made with my little brother over the christmas. Please excuse the dodgy camerawork, most of it is my little brother and he's only 9 :P Although he has a fairly steady hand...

Enjoy :-)

http://homepage.ntlworld.ie/stevetrek/the_holoduel.wmv

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

No bad, actually I'm rather impressed. What did you use for the Effects at the end? I like the fire on the door, looks quite real. Couple of edits that's I'd leave till later, just so it flows together smoother, like when you are walking down the stairs into the living room, I'd wait until you are further out of the shot untill cutting. Then again some people have a style of cutting early. One of the guys I work with does it, it really annoys me, but I see where he's coming from.

Are you intending on getting into Media? What age are you? Anyway, nice job.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Erm well yeah It's one of the options I think I'll look into in the future, either that or keep it as a hobby. It's the pity that the dv camera I was using was only a loner. For the effects I used a free copy of particleillusion se that I came accross on the cover disk of a media magazine. Was quite a find actually seeing as I couldn't find a copy of it on the net, real or otherwise.

Ohh... and I'm 17 by the way :P

Did anyone else watch it then?

Slow day!

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

lol, I watched it... better than the ones before it anyway.
    I've done a fair few shorts, but as much as I think they're cool, I wouldn't have the balls to upload them for love nor money :D

What about you lump? you made any shorts? surely you must have some ultra-embaressing clips in your editing portfolio or whatever :)

• Advertisement

Shorts? Yea Made a few... Most back in Ireland. I only have the longer work I did. Actually at that I only have a vhs copy of a 90 minute thing I did at Uni, and a dvd Copy my Final Project..... I might rip a bit and stick it up. Where's good for a decent amount of free webspace?

John

Thanks santa hoe. Lump ya might wanna check out https://panel.dreamhost.com/signup/?current_step=Index&next_step=Domain&plan=1&yearly=1

Enter the promo code 777 (only lasts till tuesday) and they knock $110 off, so that's a 2 gig server with ftp access and a FREE domain name for $9. Can ya pass that up?! NOPE!!

Or you could start a thread on feedback asking for the boards attachment limit to be raised from 100KB to 500MB ;)

Tut tut santa. Arfter me uploading it, you haven't even looked/commented. I hate you :P

Decided to get that 2 gig thingy. Seems decent enough.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Oh, thats pretty good. Tension built nicely. Music worked. Not bad effects.
    Well done.

• Advertisement

Lump wrote:
    Tut tut santa. Arfter me uploading it, you haven't even looked/commented. I hate you :P
    lol I didn't even see that thread :D
    I've spent the last 5 mins in this thread going "hmm wtf he talking about?" :rolleyes:
    Downloading now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Very nice Achilles, I really enjoyed it! Nice effects also.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Lump wrote:

Decided to get that 2 gig thingy. Seems decent enough.

John
    Isn't in 9 per month? Isnt that a bit pricey?

No it's $119 for the year... which is reduced to $9 due to the offer.

John

Thank you all for your nice comments :) And yes, the offer is a great deal, i just aquired www.stevetrek.com

It's gonna become a multimedia website showcasing all of my vids...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

hey, another well done piece of work.
    true, i have no idea how you create those special effects... i can hold a video camera.. so beyond that, im lost at how you do these things. =)

still, im impressed, thanks for sharing -keep up the great work! ~Beth

Thanks beth. There's a video tutorial on the site now showing you how to do your own transporter effects if you wanna check it out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

hi Steve, I watched the holoduel. It was very good work. Inspiring.

The dramatic bit of music keeps it going.
    Will watch more on your site soon.

have a look into sorenson.com to get your vid file sizes down and play through flash --- just an idea

well done

Believe it or not i've actually considered that idea before but with the video files highly compressed and on top of all that playing through flash, alot of pixel fragments etc can be generated, and the music and stuff itself tends to get very whinny. The reason for this is that you're encoding from lossy format to even lossier format, so you're loosing almost twice as much data as you'd normally loose when just converting to the lossier flash format from an uncompressed avi.

Anyways thank you for your kind comments about the website :-)
    Very much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

• Advertisement

That's not done in flash tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not bad! I thought the audio mix was strong. Clear, crisp music reproduction and not overwhelming the dialogue, ambient sound and effects.

Mike.

Cheers mike,
    I'll be putting a new vid on the site today that deals with omega. I've been trying to upload it the past few days but i've been having trouble with my ftp. Anyways cheers for the good feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

quite good Achilles, I really enjoyed the outtakes aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

that was great, had a look at your site too, just having a look at some of your other vids at the mo!

Cheers man, you might wanna check out the follow up too, the Holoduel 2. It's in another thread here but here's a direct link (it's not on the main website yet tho... haven't been arsed updating yet)

http://www.stevetrek.com/movies/the_holoduel_2.wmv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Achilles wrote:
    Cheers man, you might wanna check out the follow up too, the Holoduel 2. It's in another thread here but here's a direct link (it's not on the main website yet tho... haven't been arsed updating yet)

http://www.stevetrek.com/movies/the_holoduel_2.wmv
    Um...cool. You can definitely see a progression each time you post a new vid. Much less seams this time, much more "believable". Except for your spelling mistake at the end, "Cassified"? :)

Good sound, good use of music too.

I know dude i know... it was like 2am when i finished off the credits, you must forgive me. I would re-encode it but i can't be arsed :P

Advertisement