Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southampton-v-Liverpool (Will Contain Scores)

• 22-01-2005 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Predictions anyone?

I'm not expecting much of an upset, but Saints usually tend to surprise me so it could happen.

"Southampton will give an immediate debut to new signing Nigel Quashie, who will partner fellow new boy Jamie Redknapp in midfield.

Antti Niemi has recovered from injury and Jelle van Damme is back, but Kevin Phillips, Fabrice Fernandes, Graeme Le Saux and Marian Pahars are out.

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard is a major doubt with a groin injury.

New signing Scott Carson is expected to start from the bench as cover for goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek."

Quote of the week: Geoff Shreeves: "John Arne Riise is a doubt. I've seen him a bit this morning and he seems to be walking rather gingerly"

And yes it was intended.

" C O M E O N Y O U S A I N T S ! "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Pool dont win this, I'll dispair....

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

NEWS JUST IN:

Nigel Quashie was denied a debut at home to Liverpool today.

The new £2m signing tweaked knee ligaments in training on Thursday and was immediately ruled ot of today's game.

Saints had hoped to keep it quiet to avoid alerting Liverpool as Harry Redknapp shuffled his pack to a likely 4-5-1 formation with Peter Crouch as the libe striker.

Saints: Niemi, Telfer, Lundekvam, Davenport, Higginbotham, Nilsson, Prutton, Redknapp, Delap, A Svensson, Crouch. Subs: Ormerod, Jones, Jakobsson, Oakley, Smith.

Liverpool: Dudek, Carragher, Pellegrino, Hyypia, Warnock, Garcia, Hamann, Gerrard, Riise, Morientes, Baros. Subs: Sinama-Pongolle, Raven, Biscan, Traore, Carson.

Watch out for Kenwyne Jones if he comes off the bench: 7 goals in 7 out on loan to Sheffield Wednesday. Not bad for a centre back !!!

Liverpool team

Dudek,

Carragher, Hyypia Pellegrino, Riise,

Garcia, Gerrard, Hamann, Warnock

Morientes, Baros.

(the formation is my guess)

SUBS: Carson (GK), Traore, Biscan, Raven, Pongolle

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

now if we can only push traore down another notch and out of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

mike65 wrote:
    Liverpool team

Dudek,

Carragher, Hyypia Pellegrino, Riise,

Garcia, Gerrard, Hamann, Warnock

Morientes, Baros.

(the formation is my guess)

SUBS: Carson (GK), Traore, Biscan, Raven, Pongolle

Mike.

Thank God Bambi is not playing. No Finnan?

I fully expect us to win this game. The rise in fortunes starts here.

• Advertisement

Still injured...Riise on the wing, Warnock in defence.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

1-0 Prutton

ahem

Listening to fivelive....Southampton seem to belive they can win this...

Mike.

Spoke too soon, Pellegrino messes up, 1-0 down, not even 5 mins on the clock! Come on Liverpool!

• Advertisement

watch us blow it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Come on the pool, we cant loose this after two really poor results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote:
    Listening to fivelive....Southampton seem to belive they can win this...

Mike.

They are not alone. Liverpools defence is all over the place. One way traffic at the moment anyway.

Thats it we've fvcked...the worlds slowest defence...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

2-0 Crouch :eek:

Great goal, liverpool are awfull though....

2-0, you beauty.

galwaydude wrote:
    Come on the pool, we cant loose this after two really poor results.

you're going to need to score 3 so as its now 2 0 to southampton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

sake Benitez :D what happened to pass and move

Half time, words can describe how angry I'm feeling right now. That was a pathetic performance by Liverpool. No way are we going claw back two goals, let alone win this game, with Southampton squeezing the space in midfield.

Can't understand why Benitez decided to break up the Hyppia-Carragher centre back pairing, Pellegrino having a mare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ardent wrote:
    Can't understand why Benitez decided to break up the Hyppia-Carragher centre back pairing, Pellegrino having a mare.
    Finnan and Josemi are injured...

• Advertisement

We stole it on you by the looks of it.

Come on lads, credit where its due. We are killing you with our attractive brand of football!

I'm surprised Benitze didn't bring on Traore at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Baros misses by an inch, stevie G hits the crossbar, Big Sami goes off looks like a hamstring injury :( Raven on as replacement. Southampton deserve their lead liverpool were abysmal in the first 45. Could have easily been 3-0.

Intertoto cup anyone?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

mike65 wrote:
    Intertoto cup anyone?

Mike.

lol there is no need for that lol

they won 4 european cups you know

If Everton beat Charlton today they go 10 points ahead of Liverpool with the same games played. :eek: After the FA cup Everton then play another home game against Norwich while Liverpool play another away game against Charlton. The top 4 are breaking away. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Absolute Shambles...

Oh you and your Liverpool. Doesnt seem as if anyone realises the terrible situation Southampton are in at the moment and what an incredible performance that was considering that we hadnt won in 10 league games. Prutton was unbelievable, Redknapp was sensational and Peter Crouch did incredibly well up front. We still have the top 4 to play at St. Marys so performances like that are going to be essential if we are to stay up.

Boo Hoo to all you Liverpool supporters moaning that you might miss out on the Champions league, and lose out on however many millions it is. The fact is that the world doesnt revolve around Merseyside.

I make it at least 9 games in a row you've had televised now, make that 10 on Tuesday. Oh you do have it tough dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Luis Garcia is really starting to piss me off now.

I only saw the second half but everytime he got the ball he either tried to overdo it and failed badly or just plain gave the ball away.

As someone pointed out before he never chases back after losing the ball.

I know there is few alternatives but he really needs to be dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Just to point out also. Southampton were robbed of a penalty in the last 10 mins for a push on Crouch by that young full back that came on for Hypia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'm laughing, but it's a laugh of despair.

Crouch hit the floor as if he was shot. @ Kulgan FSP did well on the right when he came on. He might be given a run out on the wing, cant do any worse than Garcia does as of late.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Oh you and your Liverpool. Doesnt seem as if anyone realises the terrible situation Southampton are in at the moment and what an incredible performance that was considering that we hadnt won in 10 league games. Prutton was unbelievable, Redknapp was sensational and Peter Crouch did incredibly well up front. We still have the top 4 to play at St. Marys so performances like that are going to be essential if we are to stay up.

Boo Hoo to all you Liverpool supporters moaning that you might miss out on the Champions league, and lose out on however many millions it is. The fact is that the world doesnt revolve around Merseyside.

I make it at least 9 games in a row you've had televised now, make that 10 on Tuesday. Oh you do have it tough dont you?
    Eh, their team just lost the third game in a row, you hardly think they're going to be all smiles.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Crouch hit the floor as if he was shot.

But he was PUSHED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Leonard wrote:
    Just to point out also. Southampton were robbed of a penalty in the last 10 mins for a push on Crouch by that young full back that came on for Hypia.
    I never new football was a non contact sport.

• Advertisement

I think first place is now beyond us :/

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

oh dear oh dear. watched it, terrible by pool, the front 2 got no support from midfield, gerrard didn't look fully fit, garcia is too lightweight but then we've no-one else to play there so not much can be done about that. dudek played well, southampton played well. thats about it really.

;)

at least for the foreseeable future
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Dear oh dear that was awful, Pelligrino is appalling and Morientes looks v rusty and the normally dependable Stevie G is either not fit or has put his foot off the gas. Redknapp was excellent today and so was the very underrated Prutton.

Gerrard was a major doubht before the game and carried an injury into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

;)
    What's this??? A realistic liverpool fan???

Dissapointing result for liverpool... If they want to make top 3->4, they have to beat relegation contenders such as southampton. Fair play to saints though, they seem to have deserved their 3 points today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Gerrard was a major doubht before the game and carried an injury into it.

And Benetiz still played him??? Thats a bit odd. You would think that if a player isn't 100% and you could risk him even further by playing him, that he shouldn't have started???

Seriously.. my 'liverpool mission impossible theory' is looking more and more likely every game.... benetiz is gonna whip of a face mask and its gonna be houllier underneath it... ;)

Seriously.. my 'liverpool mission impossible theory' is looking more and more likely every game.... benetiz is gonna whip of a face mask and its gonna be houllier underneath it... ;)

excellent
    :D

Second place is still clearly reachable. Just need a ladder is all..

From what is cming through the proverbial wires, Hyppia has twisted his hip.

it would have to be a ladder on the back of a fire brigade ;)

The amazing thing is after the worst week of football in a long time, Liverpool are still 5th and 7 points behind Everton...the fact Gerrard had to play today underlines just how thin the teams resources are. Rafa will HAVE to find a good midfielder in the next 9 days.

Mike.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Eh, their team just lost the third game in a row, you hardly think they're going to be all smiles.

We won 7 games in 2004 and I'm smiling ! We dont all support a team who wins the league year in year out and only have the Glasgow derby to look forward to.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well done Southampton, Baros had a great game though, unlucky not to score.
    Some shambles now on Anfield, I hear Houllier is still free?? Couldn't do any worse could he??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Heard an astonishing stat yesterday. Morinetes last goal was in August. :eek:

Pool have serious problems - the lack of pace at the back is obvious. Anytime Soton got in their half they looked dangerous and no disrespect to Soton but they are not that good. ;)

Watford must be rubbing their hands in glee at this. What price them midweek.

mike65 wrote:
    The amazing thing is after the worst week of football in a long time, Liverpool are still 5th and 7 points behind Everton...the fact Gerrard had to play today underlines just how thin the teams resources are. Rafa will HAVE to find a good midfielder in the next 9 days.

Mike.

I cant believe that Liverpool are so dependant on one player. He's a good player but to think he can boss the midfield support the defence and score the goals that will see liverpool succeed is not very fair on him. He must fell he is under hugh pressure. I am sure he will get out this summer in fact there arfe rumblings on teh groud that his move to Chelsea is a done deal. Liverpool fans can only hope that Benitze spends the money generated by his sale wisely, if not the future looks bleak at anfield.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement