Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New music, please

Options
  • 22-01-2005 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

I seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut lately, music-wise. I haven't really branched out into anything different, just listened to more of the same. My tastes are somewhat eclectic, but basically I enjoy anything with a bit of depth and darkness, so no NME-type trash please. My most listened-to bands are (in pretty much preference order): Placebo, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Opeth, Incubus, Jeff Buckley, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Sarah McLachlan, PJ Harvey, Nightwish.

Something along the lines of the above would be fine, but perhaps something a little different would be in order. So, any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Leonard Cohen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Whipping Boy (90's Alternative rock band that should have been bigger Smashing pumpkins even ripped off one of their songs get the album heartworm)

Gang of Four (Post punk pioneers that a lot of modern bands have ripped off get the album Entertainment!)

The Stooges (Credited with creating Punk, Metal and Grunge this may be an exaggeration but they were still a great band get the album raw power)

The Mars Vota (their new album Francis the mute is quite possible the most off the wall pretentious album ever released containing a 33 minute track but its absolutely amazing mix punk-prog-jazz and electronica it sounds awful on paper but amazing on record)

Mission Of Burma (early 80's Boston band that recently reformed and released OnOffOn as least as good as their fantastic debut Vs. from 20 years earlier)

McLusky (recently split up but left behind 3 great albums of indie punk McLusky do dallas was one of the best albums of the 00's)

Belly (band fronted by Tanya Donnelly who was also in the breeders and throwing muses great Indie rock preformed together with radiohead a few times)

Bloc Party (latest band to be trumpeted by the music rags but dont hold that against them the best of the recent post punk revivalists debut album out this month)

Kyuss (the precursors to QOTSA featuring most of the band members at one time or another amazing riffs)

Shellac (Fronted by Steve Albini the legendary alternative rock producer they have released some great albums that are as loud as hell post hardcore saw them live I almost went deaf but it was worth it check out At action park to start off with)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Try these:

The Mars Volta - Listen to Goldfish - these guys are good, although possibly a little too happy for you.

Lacuna Coil - Goth with nice operatic soprano vocals over the top. Coma Lies is definitely a recommended album.

Cradle of Filth - Goth metal, possibly a bit too heavy for your taste, but really quite good, particularly their new album.

Rammestein - These guys have a genre all of their own, just listen to them, you'll either like it or you won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

The Polysics. Brilliant Japanese techno rock craziness. Plus they dress like robots. What more could you want?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Pet wrote:
    My most listened-to bands are (in pretty much preference order): Placebo, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Opeth, Incubus, Jeff Buckley, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Sarah McLachlan, PJ Harvey, Nightwish.

Hmm... If you like Opeth, then you might want to try out Enslaved, especially the album Below The Lights. Wouldn't compare them too much to Opeth, but they've got the same prog-rock leanings.

You might also want to check out Green Carnation, who are a bit more straight prog-rock than anything metal. The album Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness is quite phenominal, it's just a 1 hour long song. Breathtaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The Decemberists
    Menomena
    65daysofstatic
    The Postman Syndrome
    Cat Power

..and of course the old favourites:
    Onesidezero
    Strata
    Dredg
    Dispatch
    ...more Pumpkins.

In fact, just look here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Definitely listen to Kyuss, I know you'll like them. Have you heard the Melvins at all? Some of their stuff is excellent (some not so excellent). The new album with Jello Biafra is deadly and for classic Melvins try Houdini.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Try out any of the following, all of which are really cool bands..

Anathema, Katatonia, Green Carnation (as Karl Hungus pointed out already, are a must.. 'Light of Day, Day Of Darkness' and 'A Blessing in Disguise' being the best albums. They were amazing live last year in Eamonn Dorans & even more so the set in Tower Records the night before the gig)
    Tristania, Moonspell, Lacuna Coil - all really cool bands, in the same vein to Nightwish and the likes
    The Tea Party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Barryoh2004

Oceansize's album Effloresce-Like a merging of Tool and Radiohead into one, but with their own sound. Lots of nice shimmery soundcapes and big riff guitar noise.

Tortoise-Millions Now Living Will Never Die or TNT
    Very whacked out instrumental band, but never boring. like a big fusion of rock, jazz, electronica and general coolness with many crazy instruments (vibes, keyboards, marimbas etc.) alongside the usual rock instrumentation.

Explosions In The Sky -The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
    Brilliant instrumental band, makes those big epic songs with chiming guitars and crescendos that bring a tear to your eye :D

my music taste was very similar to yours about a year and a half ago, so you should like those bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Porcupine Tree are another great band to check out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I can't think of anything original, but Kyuss, Lacuna Coil and Porcupine Tree are all definitely worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

If you like goth metal ie Nightwish, then you may like to check out Elis, Erben der schopfung, within temptation, lacuna coil, moonspell, theatre of tragedy, xandria, leaves eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Pet wrote:
    no NME-type trash please.

NME = Real Music = The Libertines weekly = Never slag off NME = Long live NME = Best music weekly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

A great gothic band are Without Face. I think they're from Hungary. But anyway, they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

NME = Real Music = The Libertines weekly = Never slag off NME = Long live NME = Best music weekly

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Just like the Sun is the best for financial news!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I'm pretty sure he was joking. Because nobody could say that and be serious..

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, guys. Based on the most frequent suggestions, I'll have a gander at: The Mars Volta, Lacuna Coil, Kyuss, Enslaved, Green Carnation and perhaps Tristania (although what I've heard from them so far isn't exactly to my liking)..

*Snip*

Please read the charter
    Karl.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Needless to say, if you don't have anything by them, get some black sabbath and led zeppelin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The album Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness is quite phenominal, it's just a 1 hour long song. Breathtaking.
    I strongly support this product and/or service :)

John2 wrote:
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Just like the Sun is the best for financial news!

Yeah the Sun is actually great for the old financial news.

The Sun = No. 1 for financial news

I prefer to base all my music purchases on MTV's awesome, cutting edge weekly show; "MTV RECOMMENDS!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

just go listen to some pink floyd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Barryoh2004

get Catalyst by Oceansize, Good Morning Captain by Slint, and The Only moment We Were Alone by Explosions In The Sky.loverly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Queen Adreena, from what I have heard of them they are probably to your liking.

PiE wrote:
    I prefer to base all my music purchases on MTV's awesome, cutting edge weekly show; "MTV RECOMMENDS!".

Gonzo Gonzo Gonzo Gonzo Gonzo ....... watch Gonzo!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

Old Man's Child
    Queens of the Stone Age (new album in march)
    Nine Inch Nails
    Velvet Undergound
    Patti Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Pet wrote:
    I seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut lately, music-wise. I haven't really branched out into anything different, just listened to more of the same. My tastes are somewhat eclectic, but basically I enjoy anything with a bit of depth and darkness, so no NME-type trash please. My most listened-to bands are (in pretty much preference order): Placebo, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Opeth, Incubus, Jeff Buckley, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Sarah McLachlan, PJ Harvey, Nightwish.

Something along the lines of the above would be fine, but perhaps something a little different would be in order. So, any recommendations?

There's a good band out at the mo called Strawhorse. *Snip*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Gonzo Gonzo Gonzo Gonzo Gonzo ....... watch Gonzo!

That show is a load of arse and your namesake is a total dingus. Sorry, but its true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

*Snip*

Evilution wrote:
    That show is a load of arse and your namesake is a total dingus. Sorry, but its true.

?

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote:
    Well the album of the year is coming out soon on the 25th of feb. Dl it now and buy it when it comes out. It's by the Arcade Fire and is called Funerals...... you heard it here first
    I don't get the hype about them :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement