Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

COM Port Numbers Problems

• 22-01-2005 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

My Friend got a USB-Serial Data cable for his Sharp GX10i. It doesnt work on his laptop or his girlfriend's PC. He tried it in work and it worked after he tried another USB port.

So its not the phone or cable at fault, It windows and some setting. The laptop and pc are XP Home SP1 AFAIK and the work pc is XP (dunno what version or service pack).

The only thing I can think is that the work pc assigned another COM port number when he changed USB port but he's laptop only has one and I tried changing com numbers manually with no luck.

What am I overlooking to get this cable working properly on his laptop? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

i had that very problem with my gx10i, if i remember rightly, the software i got with it only read up to com port 4, but my usb was assigned as port 5 or 6,if changing the port number doesnt work then he may be stuck,havent used the cable in a while, but i will check it out later and see cos i cant remember how i got it working in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I was looking at the com port the handset manager was looking at and the com port the cable was assigned, they were the same but it couldnt connect.

Do get back to me on that one, any help is appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Uninstalled Norton Antivirus and everything works fine now

Advertisement