Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Primera Opinions

Options
  • 22-01-2005 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting a 1.8 niassan primera, anyone have any opinions of it or experience with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

heavy depreciators, a bargain if second hand. NEVER buy new :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As already said, they seem to depreciate more than your average car in this class. Great saving as a used car, the 1.8 can be bought for the same price as a 1.6 used but it has more toys as standard. Avoid the 1.6 at all costs as it is gutless. Typical Japanese reliability and it is supposed to be a good car to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

bazz26 wrote:
    it is supposed to be a good car to drive.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :mad:

Is there a self destruction button you can press when you get bored with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

They're quite hard on petrol. I've got a very old model (91). Still going great but quite costly on fuel compared to other cars. My uncle has a newer model (01) and he says it's also quite hard on fuel.

any mid level saloon is heavy on fuel. ie 405/406/ avensis/ passat etc etc
    if u want excellent fuel economy buy a vw golf with a small engine. my 1.4 gives 45mpg with exceptional refinement although no power. the latest fsi engines up the power without afffecting economy.

• Advertisement

Not to get side tracked but the FSI engine is only available in 1.6 and 2.0 here, no 1.4 FSI Golf in Ireland.

bazz26 wrote:
    Not to get side tracked but the FSI engine is only available in 1.6 and 2.0 here, no 1.4 FSI Golf in Ireland.

well spotted its available as u probably know in the uk which is where im buying one soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

I've an opinion on it........... IT'S HORRIBLE!!!! :eek:
    But each to their own if everyone drove classics ,sports cars and future classics I'd probably want to drive a primera too!
    At least it's not an Almera they seem to magically make their owners into incompetent fools as soon as their hands touch the wheel! :p
    .........Rant rant isn't web anonymity great!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

My mams boss has one, i thinks its a 1.6, and I remember her saying he was getting rid of it cause he couldnt keep tyres o nthe front of it.

My uncle was also telling me that the place where he works, they have a load of them nissan pathfinders, and they have the exact same problem.

A bit of a design flaw??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

They are a nice car to rent - at least you know its not going to be with you too long :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

Hi,

I have a 2000 1.8 EX 5 door. (EX is high spec, climate control 6 CD changer etc).

Good points:
    - feels good to drive.
    - loads of elecs
    - really comfy seats
    - huge boot

Bad points:
    - interior build quality not up to scratch
    - bumpers damaged easily
    - poor turning circle

All in all I actually like the car. I've got the 5 door silver with spoiler and I think it looks nice. It has nice really nice seats (the EX anyway) and a nice black interior with fake metial, white dials (EX only). It's reliable too.

If you want a realiable car with an good drive, for not much money. Then get one second hand.

I'd consider selling mine if you are interested. Have 3 cars, need to get rid of one.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

my inlaws have a 2004 version and although there's loads of gadgets and a cool consolve and dash, it feels very cheap and plastic. Not a big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

honestly i hate it,i've had a 1.6 03 one on loan from a garage for the past month while my car is in the garage.Maybe the 1.8 would be better but in the 1.6 any slight incline is a huge effort.in the wind and rain the car slides all over the place and any cross wind makes handling very tough.the interface for the radio / A/c is VERY annoying and hard to use while concentrating on the road.I really wudnt recommend it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

yes, I drove a post 02 style one and hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I also dislike the current Primera. Nissan lost the plot big time with this one, The old Primera was an honest, reliable, no nonsense car which looked reasonably good and drove very well for a FWD. The new one is horribly ugly, heavy and gimmicky. It probably has more space and is undoubtedly safer than the old one but apart from that I'd prefer the old one. IMO Nissan should have aimed to replace the old car with something more akin to the Mazda 6.

BrianD3

Renault own a major share of Nissan these days and had a major influence on the design of the current Primera. The next Almera is suppost to look very similar to the current Megane also. Nissan also have a new mini MPV called the Tone which is based on the Renault Modus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

bazz26 wrote:
    it is supposed to be a good car to drive.

The old one (square, bland) was always considered a good drive but the current one (ugly, identical front and rear) is horrible to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrianD3 wrote:
    The old Primera was an honest, reliable, no nonsense car which looked reasonably good and drove very well for a FWD

Owned one for nearly 3 years and fully agree. I averaged about 30mpg in mainly Dublin (commuting) traffic. The old model is from '90, so obviously looking its age now
    bazz26 wrote:
    Typical Japanese reliability

Not quite. The car is built in the UK. I had several issues with mine in relation to electrics / mechanics. Considering I bought the car when it was only 3 years old and sold it at 5.5 years old with only 62k miles on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

I recently purchased a 05 primera and I'm very impressed with it...console's a doddle to use once you get the hang of it...I've carried several people in it all of whom were very impressed with it..was competing with the 407 but i hated the inside..thought it was very poorly setup..the colour reversing camera is a godsend and should be standard on all cars..petrol economy is around 35mpg which is normal for this size car..all in all a good car..however the size of the diesel 2.2l option is very poor compared to other cars such as the mondeo and 407

Advertisement