Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!Best Practice 4 small office net

Options
  • 22-01-2005 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hey all,

Situation is I need to set up a small office network. I have two laptops and a pc all of which will be on the network daily. There is another pc which is occasionally used. I also would like to network the printer.

Have 'Eircom' broadband (I know), with the standard eircom provided 4 port modem/hub.

I think what I need is to get a seperate hub perhaps with built in firewall to connect the computers and then connect the hub to the eircom modem. I run zonealarm and avg on each computer I'm basically looking for the easiest cheapest solution. i don't mind spending €50 on a hub (komplett) but would like to keep any other cost to a minimum.
    The goal is to have a reasonably secure office network where files and printer can be shared, with all computers able to access the internet.

I'm running xp pro on all computers (one of which I bought through boards!).

Suggestions and help greatly appreciated. The spare pc is a pentium 2 although it had a few curries spilt on it, it works.
    The others 1. Black PC Dell Pentium 4
    2. Dell Laptop Pentium 3 833mhz (I think)
    3. and centrino 1.4m dell laptop...
    Thinks thats all the info ye will need thanks a million in advance.

Advertisement