Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My dips are ****. What bulbs are best??

Options
  • 22-01-2005 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

My dip lights are complete ****.
    Yes there washed, and alligned properly, and still ****e.
    The headlights are ok, as in there actually driveable with. But the dips might as well be parkers.

I have seperate bulbs for dips and heads. Twin headlights or whatever u call them.

I wudnt mind changing the heads aswell, as most of my driving is on regiona land country roads.
    Should i get them Philips vision plus bulbs or the Xeonen ones?? I like them blue tinted ones, but dont want anything illegal or too strong. Not 100w yokes anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

never put bulbs of a higer rating in ul fry the electrics. i got some bulbs from a motor factor and he gave the wrong ones. i did a quick check on the web and if i had put those bulbs in i would have fried the electrics. vw golfs are v sensitive to anything above the ratings

osram silver are the best about 30euro for 2 buy em online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Are these the sort of things i should be looking at:
    they seem rather expensive. Can anyone eccommend me decent blue tinted bulbs??

And how strong is H4 and H7. I think H4 is the dims, and the heads are H7 in them sets?????

5800K PEUGEOT 306 WITH TWIN HEADLAMPS XENON BULBS H7
    [HTML]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72235&item=7949008064&rd=1[/HTML]

or

PEUGEOT 306 MK2 XENON BULBS (SET) HEADLAMPS
    [HTML]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72240&item=7949229629&rd=1[/HTML]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

55W dips is the legal requirement I'm sure. However, 55W Long life bulbs are dimmer than ones like the Osram Silver, etc. which due to the higher operating temp, have a shorter life.
    I'm sure you could push it to 65W. But is your lens are carp..... 100W will not improve your vision and generally piis off everyone coming against you.
    A pair of well aimed focus beam spots may be the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Those blue 'xenon' bulbs are complete $hite. Their only good for showing off. I tried out similar one's around a year ago... utter crap. I'm now on my second pair of H4 Philips Vision plus bulbs, their the best going bulbs IMO, far better than average bulbs. Their crystal white rather than the average cream yellow.

You really notice it on the back roads, I'd be driving behind another car but I'd be lighting up the road ahead better than the car infront :D

When I first got the bulbs they were in the €40 yoyo mark but they've really come down, €17 or €18 I think in consort. If you go with the xenon bulbs I guarantee you'll be taking them out of your car within a month

Here's my focus with those xenons in them:

bulbs1.jpg

I still think they look good but their diabolical for night driving

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Either the Osram Silver Star or the Philips Vision Plus are a good choice. I've got the Philips bulbs in both my and the missus' and they're great.

Got mine from http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/ rather than trawling round the motor factors. Ordered at 13:13, dispatched at 13:24, delivered two days later.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. Wont be getting the Xeonen blues then, but they do look class allright. Especially on a silver car like Ando`s focus there. My yokes silver too, but im more interested in decent light than looks.

Its a diesel 306 btw, should handle them ok? Ive fog lights too, but dont want using them all the time, tho they are handy on country and some regional roads.

ando wrote:
    Those blue 'xenon' bulbs are complete $hite. Their only good for showing off. .....

Agreed.
    Fake "Xenon" with blue filters on the glass are not the way to go.

Brighter filiments with no filters, such as the other ones mentioned are better value for your $.
    What would real Xenon replacements cost ~ $500 or more?.

What about the "Osram cool blue" bulbs. Ive taken a liking to the blues :D Are these blues any good? Better than the fake Haleigon Xenon ones??

Or would the Osram silvers/white lights as mentioned above be better. Or the ones below there. Hmmmmmmmmmm, im not sure which i want/need!

Osram Cool Blue bulb replicates the HID 'Xenon' systems that are found in most modern executive cars by producing a crisp white light on the road, whilst oncoming traffic see a distrinctive blue light as they approach your vehicle.

This product not only gives you a fantastic styling effect for your vehicle but also increases the light output on the road whilst driving. The product uses Xenon gas, as opposed to Halogen gas which is found in most standard auto bulbs. The Xenon gas produces a much whiter beam and makes the filament work more efficiently, therefore requiring no extra wattage. This has the added benefit of ensuring the product has the same life expectancy as a standard bulb, as no extra pressure is being put on the filament.

1 Ultra Cool Blue-distinctive light
    2 High performance upgrade
    3 Directly interchangeable with your current lamps
    4 Legal for road use throughout Europe
    5 A quality product by an OE manufacturer

The way I'd look at it is.... No filtered bulb envelopes. After that, cost. I'm not going to pay a premium for something that is marginally better. These items lend themselves to the law of "diminishing returns"
    I usually get a few seasons out of the Xtra-Vision or whatever they are called, then I simply change them as a pair.... blown or otherwise.

I think the Cool-Blue are filtered also. maybe some day I'll try them for a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Hi again, I haven't tried the Osram cool blue but I have tried their competitor’s equilivent, the Philips ultra Blue Vision. I'd have to say, for their lighting up the road ahead, their quality is just below an average bulb, but they do have a light blue tint, hardly noticeable IMO.

• Advertisement

Hi lads.

What about these:

New H7 Philips GT150 Super Bright and Blue -Road Legal!
    [HTML]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72235&item=7949161054&tc=photo[/HTML]

Can anyone reccommend me a decent H7 blue tinted headlight bulbs?

ANd a H4.

And a parker light bulb too.

All in blue.

thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

This link has details on all those bulbs , also gives overall beam distance ..

Enjoy ! ;)

Thanks for that link Sharkman, and to the others that gave feedbk. Im not sure which of the 2 below to go for, the normal or the blues? Does anyone know if them particular blues are filtered? What exactly does filtered mean?And, whats the actual difference between a H4 and H7. Ive a phase II 306, is that a H7??

Im grateful for the advice,,, i want to order them tomorrow and want it right as there expensive.

Im debating between these 2 philips:

Philips VisionPlus
    Rating *****
    Price: £24
    Output: 1,590
    Power: 57.2W
    Geometry: OK
    75m: 34.5 50m kerb: 57.7
    50m centre: 28.6
    Overall beam: 155.4

The original '50 per cent extra' bulb can certainly justify the claims. It places massive amounts of light on the road in all areas. We saw the difference in the tunnel, and you will on the road. Well worth buying.

OR OR OR OR

Philips BlueVision
    Rating ****
    Price: £25.64
    Output: 1,409
    Power: 57W
    Geometry: OK
    75m: 34.3 50m kerb: 57.2
    50m centre: 23.6
    Overall beam: 149.3

Yet again, Philips is our pick of the blue bulbs It was less 'white' than its rivals, which may explain the better result. It really scores at 75m where its superiority is clear.

I've been reading quite a bit on this and would tend to stay away from the blue bulbe , I tried them in my Puma and while they looked the bizz they were not as effective as the vision plus . I even fitted one of each and covered alrernative lenses ( Not while driving :D )

I like the look of the Philips GT150 H7 ..Look HERE

I'll take this as the output in Lumens;

Output: 1,590
    Power: 57.2W

So the higher the lumens and the lower the W, the more efficient the bulb.
    Price ea or per pair.

Here is somethign interesting, note the life shortens as the brightness (temp) increases.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/Products/ProductComparison/default.htm

Well Rander , which did you go for .

I've put some Philips GT150 H7 in my Passat and they are the best I've tried so far ..

Howdy,

I didnt actually get any yet.
    Im trying to get a set of fog lights wired up now. I dont have much time.

Them GT150`s are the ones i more or less settled on, just didnt get round to ordering. I was going to get the blue ones. Are yours the blue,,,, or are they available in norma aswell????

My cars a H4.

AFAIK they only come in White , they have a blue cap on the bulb wher as most have a black one . The light is very white and very strong giving great overall coverage on the road ..

Das dem allright !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

There described as being described as superblue??

Advertisement