Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used Car - No Tax Book

Options
  • 22-01-2005 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Just bought a used car that was missing the tax cert/book. The owner genuinely didnt have it, but i have a reciept of the purchase(with reg). Wasn't going to allow that upset the deal. How easy/hard is it to obtain this from the local tax office and what all do i need.

The car was new from a dealer, and has service history and NCT(all in my possession).

I'd imagine there may need to be some change of ownership form or something.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Right, sussing this out from oasis.

I need a replacement Vehicle licensing certificate

Which will be used for Change of Ownership.

Once i have that, and insurance, i can then tax the car.

Question is, Can i get insurance for it Monday, and drive until i've the rest of the stuff sorted (1 months grace)

tax was up on it August 04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

oh that happened me a few years back , i had to get this form off the guards and get it signed by this accountant for some strange reason , took me a while to sort it out but thats because the tax office really screwed me around with it , cant remember the exact ins and outs except i really wanted to petrol bomb the house of the guy where i bought it in the first place , was jus a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

legally he couldnt sell it without one. i know as my bro lost one and had to reapply. the previous owner should apply for it on moday as if he still owns it. there is a small charge associated with this. then in a week when he gets it he should then sign it over to u.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

receipt from garage is not much as register owner still has right to the car.You can go after the garage but technically registered owner has the right to the car. Take the receipt and go to local garda station , they will give you name of the last owner if you explain what happened. The you can just do form between you and last owner which cuts lots of crap

i have learned it the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Ratchet wrote:
    receipt from garage is not much as register owner still has right to the car.You can go after the garage but technically registered owner has the right to the car. Take the receipt and go to local garda station , they will give you name of the last owner if you explain what happened. The you can just do form between you and last owner which cuts lots of crap

i have learned it the hard way.

ratchets right there is no other way the registered owner still legally owns that car altough there are seperate legal obligations ie each party has a contract. the original owner still can reposess it at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Get a duplicate book. The tax office will only deal with the person named on the book. So get the previous owner to get it. Hint: people change address's while they own cars.

Advertisement