Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do english televisions work over here ?

Options
  • 22-01-2005 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭

I remember years ago, when moving back to Ireland from England, we had to get our tv modified to work with the cable system over here.

Is this still the case ? i.e. if I order an LCD tv off www.unbeatable.co.uk, will it work when I plug it in over here ?

thx :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Yes all its needs is Coaxial Scart S video etc:

I remember they didnt work but cant remember why exactly.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

UK Tv' used be et up to receive UHF frequencies. I don't know if this is still the case. RTE broadcasts AFAIK on VHF frequencies, as a result the tuner won't recieve them. However, if it's on Cable/satelitte, then you should be fine. Also I'm not 100% sure if uk TV will only recieve UHF, as I say that's the way it was a few years ago.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lump wrote:
    UK Tv' used be et up to receive UHF frequencies. I don't know if this is still the case. RTE broadcasts AFAIK on VHF frequencies, as a result the tuner won't recieve them. However, if it's on Cable/satelitte, then you should be fine. Also I'm not 100% sure if uk TV will only recieve UHF, as I say that's the way it was a few years ago.

John

Nail head hammer :)

99% of all tvs can pickup VHF and UHF. LCD tvs normally work off RGB Scart S video composite etc:

Coaxial is the poors mans input.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭monster_fighter

KdjaC wrote:
    Nail head hammer :)

kdjac

Nail hammer thumb.

RTE/TV3 terrestrial is UHF.

Most cable transmission is VHF.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

RTE/TV3 terrestrial is UHF.

not everywhere RTE still uses some VHF

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Just to clear up completely, Cable TV and RTÉ in certain areas use VHF, and since the mid 80's not all tellys from the UK have VHF (Band III) tuners, they are normally UHF exclusive. TV3 and TG4 are transmitted on UHF only, RTÉ is available on the 2 bands. Any Telly produced for the Irish market must be able to receieve both UHF and VHF. That is not the case for the UK market, so, there is no guarantee it will work over here.

As its an LCD screen... I'd check if there does have a Band III tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

so if I plug in the ntl coax cable, it will be picked up by an english lcd tv ?

I'd check the specs, first. If it doesnt say, then probably no. Make and model?

Reception:
    Multi Standard Tuner

is all it says in the specs, guess i'll fire off an email to toshiba, its a 27LW46 i'm looking at

Multi Standard Tuner... a bit vague... I looked at the Toshiba site too... just ask them if it can recieve (VHF Band III) or see if any Irish stores are selling that LCD screen. If Irish stores sell it, then I'm 99.9% sure it will work*

*not a guarantee :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

SO I was right then?

John

Almost John.... erm... Analogue Cable here is almost all on VHF. CNBC, Channel 4 and E4 on NTL in Dublin are on the UHF band, but the rest of them are on VHF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Their website does not differentiate between the Irish and UK model so I assume they are alike. The spec in the user manual at Toshiba reads:

Receiving Channels:

VHF Band I ch 2-4
    VHF Band III ch 5-12
    UHF ch 21-69
    Cable TV ch S1-S20 / S21-S41

So it seems this set will work fine here. I think the increasing availability of Cable TV in the UK has made VHF tuners in TV's a necessity as UHF over cable is an expensive and tricky proposition to begin with.

ZEN

excellent work ZENER. thx :)

You're welcome !!

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

ZENER wrote:

So it seems this set will work fine here. I think the increasing availability of Cable TV in the UK has made VHF tuners in TV's a necessity as UHF over cable is an expensive and tricky proposition to begin with.

ZEN

UK cable tv exclusively uses reciever boxes so it's availability makes no difference to the specs of tvs fotr the UK market. There is no VHF reception on the UK.
    More products are built multi-standard as it is cheaper to make one production run that can be programmed to fit different markets than to make several different models to suit every system but this is no guarantee that all will be.
    Any TV bought in the UK needs to be checked for tuner compatibility for VHF.

John R wrote:
    UK cable tv exclusively uses reciever boxes so it's availability makes no difference to the specs of tvs fotr the UK market. There is no VHF reception on the UK.
    More products are built multi-standard as it is cheaper to make one production run that can be programmed to fit different markets than to make several different models to suit every system but this is no guarantee that all will be.
    Any TV bought in the UK needs to be checked for tuner compatibility for VHF.

Agreed, but the specs I quoted are directly from the manufactureres User Manual for the appliance where they go on to say that not all colour/audio systems are supported by all models, that this depends on the country the set is destined for.

By the way what bands do the UK based cable providers use or is it all digital? Just curious!

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

UK cable is mainly digital now but there are some analogue areas left. They do use VHF but both analogue and digital are encrypted so direct reception with a tv was never an option, a decoder box was always required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Havers

Hi,

I ordered a DMRE55EBS Panasonic DVD-RAM Recorder from Amazon- unboxed it and set it up as per the instructions. My tv is a Panasonic with q-link so I set up the DVD to download the channels but it could only find E4 and each channel on the DVD Tuner is now E4. Tried changing around scart connections and every possible maneouvre until I rang Panasonic and they said the Irish model is the DMRE55EBL which has a UHF tuner. Like a muppet I no longer have the packaging and Amazon are stonewalling me on a refund- does anyone know if it's possible to convert from VHF to UHF or if I could use my exisiting Panasonic VCR to route the channels to the DVD recorder.

Any help here would be really appreciated..

Thanks,
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You should be able to use the VCR to decode the channels then pass them onto the DVD recorder.

You would go Aerial>VCR>DVD-R>TV

• Advertisement
Advertisement