Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graham Poll is at it again

• 22-01-2005 8:04pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Richard Dunne scored a wonder goal from a free kick from just outside the box. GP disallowed the goal because he said that he had not blown for the free kick to be taken. TV replays show that Poll has his whistle in his mouth. A bit harsh if you are a Man City supporter. Even the WBA players assumed that it was a goal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

And the difference between that and Henry's is...?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Brian017 wrote:
    And the difference between that and Henry's is...?

Exactly!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Did he ask the referee if he wanted to take a quick free kick?

Did he ask the referee if he wanted to take a quick free kick?

No. The referee had just finished lining up the wall, and ran across the front of the wall and put his whistle into his mouth. Just as he did, Dunne left fly into the top left hand corner I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i assume he missed the re-take? (havent seen the city score)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fkn joke to be honest, he said on MOTD that "there is a quick free-kick where the taker asks if he can take it quick, then the ref allows him to take it quick, there is the slow free-kick where the ref tells the kicker to wait for the whistle to go"

So slow free kick is what city got, BUT did you not see the ref put the whistel to his mouth??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

the man is obviously an idiot, why is he allowed to continue refereeing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

yop wrote:
    Fkn joke to be honest, he said on MOTD that "there is a quick free-kick where the taker asks if he can take it quick, then the ref allows him to take it quick, there is the slow free-kick where the ref tells the kicker to wait for the whistle to go"

So slow free kick is what city got, BUT did you not see the ref put the whistel to his mouth??

I agree. At the time of Henrys free kick we were told that there is no rule to say you must wait for the whistle to take a free kick. If this is the case what is Poll taking about, is he making up rules to suit himself as he goes along .

Another intersting point I noticed. In his statement above Poll says that the Player has to ask him can he take it quickly. Yet after Henry scored from a quick free at Chelsea Mr. Poll was pressured to explain his decision to allow the goal , This is what he said
    "The whistle doesn't need to be blown. I asked Henry 'do you want a wall?'. He said 'can I take it please?' He was very polite. I said 'yes'," said Poll.
    Link

He clearly states that it was he who asked Henry if he wanted a wall. That's not right in my mind as Poll who is supposed to be impartial is the one doing the asking. Inferring Do you want to take it now or wait until the wall is formed ? Henry admitted this in the same article.
    Henry told BBC Radio Five Live: "The ref asked me if I wanted 10 yards or if I wanted to take it straight away and I said that I wanted to take it straight away. He said to me, 'go'.

That is interfearing with the game in Arsenal favour and is very wrong IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

As GP said" He raised his arm for henry which means take it , and he didnt blow his whistle for dunne which now means take it"

Great strike tho.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

well its fairly simple really.

If the player wants a 10 yard wall, then they MUST wait for the whistle. Dunne did not wait for the whistle, hence it being disallowed.

If the player doesn't want a wall, then no whistle is needed and they can take it anytime they want, as henry did. The one at fault then was Gudjohnson for getting out of the way, he should have stood on the ball till Henry asked for a wall.

The ref bashing has gone out of control this season.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote:

If the player wants a 10 yard wall, then they MUST wait for the whistle. Dunne did not wait for the whistle, hence it being disallowed.

If the player doesn't want a wall, then no whistle is needed and they can take it anytime they want, as henry did. The one at fault then was Gudjohnson for getting out of the way, he should have stood on the ball till Henry asked for a wall.

I accept what you are saying, but when the free kick was taken, the ref had moved out of the way and had his whistle in his mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Leonard wrote:
    I accept what you are saying, but when the free kick was taken, the ref had moved out of the way and had his whistle in his mouth.

He raised his arm as he said himself raising the arm means take it.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4177039.stm# < interview with him.
    kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The Muppet wrote:
    That is interfearing with the game in Arsenal favour and is very wrong IMO.

I agree , but do you have a crazy conspiracy that involves David Dein to go with that ? ;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

raising his arm would mean he could take it if it was a quick free kick, like it would anywhere else on the pitch.

If the team taking the kick wants 10 yards, then they HAVE to wait for the whistle.

Big Ears wrote:
    I agree , but do you have a crazy conspiracy that involves David Dein to go with that ? ;) .

You too eh?
    ;)

The Muppet wrote:
    You too eh?
    ;)

I think he's really in charge of the FA's disciplinary panel , now wheres my tinfoil hat ;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

astrofool wrote:

Exactle.

I fail to see the controversy here, so can someone explain to me?

Dunne waited for the ref to get the wall back, and then took the free before the ref was ready. Im sure the keeper was caught off guard as Im sure he was also waiting for the whistle. With Henry, he impeded himself by taking it before the wall was back, the ref had no influence on getting the wall back so Henry could take it when he likes.

Henrys should have beeen allowed, Dunnes shouldnt. Seems simple enough to me.

the simple answer to all this is that teams have to be clever when defending free kicks. a player not involved with directly defending the kick (in the wall, marker) should stand in front of the ball, thus stopping a quick free kick . if the player asks for a wall, which he'll have to or lay it off, then it gives everyone a chance to react. Managers should be wise to this. Otherwise they should not complain because its starting to happen and a couple of dodgy free goals from quick free kicks could mess up their season.

I fail to see the controversy here, so can someone explain to me?

Spot the Difference

Graham Poll

there is a quick free-kick where the taker asks if he can take it quick, then the ref allows him to take it quick,

Henry
    Henry told BBC Radio Five Live:[ "The ref asked me if I wanted 10 yards or if I wanted to take it straight away and I said that I wanted to take it straight away. He said to me, 'go'.

Now my question is why would an impartial ref ask the player if he wanted to take a quick free seeing the opposition were not yet organised?

Dunne waited for the ref to get the wall back, and then took the free before the ref was ready. Im sure the keeper was caught off guard as Im sure he was also waiting for the whistle. With Henry, he impeded himself by taking it before the wall was back, the ref had no influence on getting the wall back so Henry could take it when he likes.

As per my above post, i agree where the fault lies, the only difference in the two kkicks was that henrysshot would never have gone in if the keeper was ready and only did because he was hugging the opposite post. Dunnes one would have gone in imo. anyway its irrelevant because it wouldnt have made a difference, they still would have lost. It wasnt a game changing decision like the mendez goal for spurs.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    Spot the Difference
    Now my question is why would an impartial ref ask the player if he wanted to take a quick free seeing the opposition were not yet organised?

I think the obvious is being missed by everyone here, Poll is a Utd fan. Utd had a lot to gain from a Chelsea - Arsenal draw, they needed to catch both teams. Also Dunne plays for City so theres an obvious dislike there. the truth is out there. :D

The Muppet wrote:
    Ah I see your point now. Couldnt make out what the fuss was about.

Personally I dont really see a problem. You would swear that this is the first time that a ref asked a player did he want ten yards. Who is to say that he didnt ask Dunne did he want ten yards? Perhaps Dunne said yes but then took it before the ref let him, hence it being disallowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Stekelly wrote:
    I think the obvious is being missed by everyone here, Poll is a Utd fan. Utd had a lot to gain from a Chelsea - Arsenal draw, they needed to catch both teams. Also Dunne plays for City so theres an obvious dislike there. the truth is out there. :D

you are having a laugh, everyone knows he is the only premiership ref who doesnt follow utd

Perhaps Dunne said yes but then took it before the ref let him, hence it being disallowed.

Is it the Ref's job to ask a player does he want to take a quick free kick. According to Poll's statement yesterday the player has to do the asking.
    Henrys admission that Poll asked him did he want to take a quick free could leave Poll open to allegations of cheating.

The Muppet wrote:
    Is it the Ref's job to ask a player does he want to take a quick free kick. According to Poll's statement yesterday the player has to do the asking.
    Henrys admission that Poll asked him did he want to take a quick free could leave Poll open to allegations of cheating.
    I think you are being a bit dramatic there. And it would be very naive to think that this is the one and only time a ref has asked a player does he want his ten yards.

If anything were to come from it, it would be ludicrous. There are far bigger issues facing refereeing and the standard of it.

=

If anything were to come from it, it would be ludicrous.

Why? What would be a bigger issue than the referee actively assisting one team score agains another ?

The Muppet wrote:
    Why? What would be a bigger issue than the referee actively assisting one team score agains another ?
    `
    I think you are being a bit dramatic there. And it would be very naive to think that this is the one and only time a ref has asked a player does he want his ten yards.

`

So you have nothing to back up you argument apart from your opinion that perhaps it happened before. Surprisingly enought that is not enought to convince me that there is not somethiing wrong here.

Even if it did happen before its still wrong . Henry may not have consideed taking the quick free until the ref was kind enough to remind him.

I'll say it again Poll himself said yesterday that it is up to the player to request the quick free . Why did he feel it was his duty to suggest it to henry?

The Muppet wrote:
    So you have nothing to back up you argument apart from your opinion that perhaps it happened before.

Even if it did happen before its still wrong . Henry may not have consideed taking the quick free until the ref was kind enough to remind him.

I'll say it again Poll himself said yesterday that it is up to the player to request the quick free . Why did he feel it was his duty to suggest it to henry?
    But Poll didnt suggest to Henry to take the free quickly. He just asked him did he want the wall back ten yards.

• Advertisement

But Poll didnt suggest to Henry to take the free quickly. He just asked him did he want the wall back ten yards.

Henry told BBC Radio Five Live: "The ref asked me if I wanted 10 yards or{b] if I wanted to take it straight [/b]away and I said that I wanted to take it straight away. He sa]d to me, 'go'.

Did you even read the relevant quotes I posted before you started arguing against my point?

The Muppet wrote:
    Did you even read the relevant quotes I posted before you started arguing against my point?
    Yes, I read what you posted. I didnt look at the link because I trust the integrity of your posts.

What you said was:
    The Muppet wrote:
    "The whistle doesn't need to be blown. I asked Henry 'do you want a wall?'. He said 'can I take it please?' He was very polite. I said 'yes'," said Poll.
    Now that looks to me like Poll asked him did he want the wall back, and Henry asked him could he take the free.

Yes, I read what you posted. I didnt look at the link because I trust the integrity of your posts.

What you said was:

Now that looks to me like Poll asked him did he want the wall back, and Henry asked him could he take the free.

That was Polls quote . I also posted a quote from Henry in the same post in which he made the above admission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

flaming heck, the muppet and jivin turkey are taking over the thread

hands up who appreciates graham polls referee skills

The Muppet wrote:
    That was Polls quote . I also posted a quote from Henry in the same post in which he made the above admission.
    But the two were inconsistent, so who do we believe?

Personally given Polls better grasp on the English language, Ill go with him.

But either way you are making something out of nothing IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Althought eh free kick was a great strike, I see no inconsistancy in the goal being disallowed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

"I think he's really in charge of the FA's disciplinary panel , now wheres my tinfoil hat "

Aye, will be interesting to see if Mr Toure is suspended for his blatant elbow into shearers head, caught on camera. Me thinks it will not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i havent seen dunnes freekick but it sounds like he was wrong. even before the whole quick freekick debate, a basic rule of defending a free kick is to stand on the ball until the keeper, wall, ec are ready. managers and players should just get used to it.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The thing was that everyone was ready. Poll even had the whistle in his mouth. He looked like he accepted the goal when it went in and then suddenly changed his mind. Even the West Brom players thought it was a goal.

By the way, fair play to Ronnie Wallwork. It looked as though he enjoyed his first goal for WB especially against City. :D

yop wrote:
    "I think he's really in charge of the FA's disciplinary panel , now wheres my tinfoil hat "

Aye, will be interesting to see if Mr Toure is suspended for his blatant elbow into shearers head, caught on camera. Me thinks it will not.

Im a Newcastle fan and I think anything more than a yellow for that would be extremely harsh .

Advertisement