Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Vodafone branded 6230

Options
  • 22-01-2005 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

I'm on o2 and I have an unlocked 6230 on the Vodafone network. Does anyone know if it's possible to get rid of the Vodafone startup logo thing and also the little red vodafone logo on the bottom right of the screen (used to connect to the Net)? If so how? Software of something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

for bottom right logo go to settings, personal shortcuts, right selection key.

to get rid of operator logo i went to a website and downloaded a blank gif as a logo.

there all over the place, try google

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Stupid Vodafone thing comes up saying goodbye when I turn the phone off as well!!! Any links for where I could download a blank logo I'm in a very lazy mode today....

I'd assume you'd need to get the firmware reflashed to the stock Nokia firmware???

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is certainly the case with Motorola, Sagem and SE phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Karsini wrote:
    I'd assume you'd need to get the firmware reflashed to the stock Nokia firmware???

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is certainly the case with Motorola, Sagem and SE phones.

Is there some place I can go to get this done or could I download this firmware off the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Giles wrote:
    Any links for where I could download a blank logo I'm in a very lazy mode today....

You don't have to have a Data cable. You can do it using WAP as follows:

1. Press Menu
    2. Scroll to Services
    3. Choose Go To Address
    4. Enter: http://www.jhonny.org/wap/kuvat/blank.nol
    5. You will get 'Operator Logo Received'
    6. Press Show
    7. Press Save

Thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

That wont clear the startup or shutdown logo, only the word "Vodafone"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

As far as I'm aware, ALL vodafone phones that have bluetooth are crippled - so that you HAVE to download content over WAP instead of using BT as you would normally (they get more money that way)
    For example, some phones that allow mp3 ringtones? You HAVE to download the ones that have been signed by vodafone - so they get money for the download, and the ringtone itself

I'm working on a game on my 6230 for my 4th year project in college, and I bought a new one with cold hard cash - I'm glad I never went for a vodafone model, as it would have been useless for me due to their ingenuity :(

I'd recommend you bring it into the phone shop near Elveries just off St. Stephen's Green in Dublin. Get it flashed to the latest firmware, and insist that you do NOT want the vodafone version, but the actual Nokia version!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You can get your phone reflashed with a non-Vodafone firmware version.... I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you where (I don't think the Carphone Warhouse etc do it, though I could be wrong)

Edit: Zoro said the same thing... I must be asleep :D

PM me if you need it done

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Zoro - Just to correct you. The only European phone I can think of that has its Bluetooth purposely crippled was the Sharp GX30. No Nokia phones to this date have been crippled. In fact, Nokia have resisted phone customisation as long as possible. A drop in market share forced them to finally offer this service thus gaining favour with networks like Vodafone.

In relation to the Nokia 6230, I've used both O2 and Vodafone customised versions. Both phones can be "cleaned out" with a firmware update, although you would also need a new cover for the Vodadone 6230 if you'd like to get rid of the remaining Vodafone logos ;)

Btw, if you're in Dublin... http://www.telephonecentre.ie/ ;)

- Neil

• Advertisement

Interesting - MrPink on boards.ie has a new Nokia from vodafone, and it's crippled in just the ways I describe ;)

Hi,

In what way is the bluetooth crippled? I should be able to get my hands on a Vodafone 6230 this week to check it out. I have an O2 6230 beside me and that does everything normally.

- Neil

I had a vodafone 6230 in my hands 3 days ago, and it simlpy refused to let me install any applications on it via BT
    Nor would it let me download them from a wap site I set up

But it would happily download and install from the vodafone site :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

So you reckon when getting the firmware updated always ask for the vanilla nokia one? does the telephone center do this?

Any Nokia service point should have a clean Nokia flash
    Also, generally if the phone is under warranty, they should do it free of charge. However, they are probably not obliged to give you the unbranded flash. Normally, they only carry out this operation to upgrade if there are bugs etc in the firmware

Im not getting what you said there wolfman. They do but they dont?

Basically, if you have the Vodafone software, you can't go in and DEMAND the nokia-only software.
    But if you're nice to them and not an arse, they might give you the proper one :D

Mine was free of charge, no questions asked btw

zoro wrote:
    Basically, if you have the Vodafone software, you can't go in and DEMAND the nokia-only software.
    But if you're nice to them and not an arse, they might give you the proper one :D

Mine was free of charge, no questions asked btw

getcha now. Got mine flashed to 5.24 a few weeks ago, so no need to get it done atm. Ill bear it in mind next time Im getting it done though.

Hi,

Just to clear up the issue with Vodafone's customisations of the Nokia 6230. The MP3 DRM "addition" they make to the phone is well known. My Vodafone 6630 has that issue too. A firmware update removes that. So, I can only assume maybe the same limitation applies to Java games you download (ie. they must be Vodafone sign) - although have a look around for security settings on the phone - I couldn't find any on the O2 6230 I have here beside me.

Anyway, the bluetooth is not crippled and that's the important bit. Verizon Wireless in the states did something like that with a certain Motorola phone and now there's talk of legal action but some customers ;)

- Neil

Advertisement