Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Name one thing thats good about......

• 22-01-2005 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Name one thing thats good about living in ireland, you can't!
    Discuss

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

home of guinness.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

No War! No Famine! No Drout!...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

being quite well educated,
    being in a country that stays out of trouble on the majority of ocassions.
    being irish alone is good becasue we are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

1) It's not horrendously over-populated. Compared to somewhere like the Netherlands, Ireland is a paradise. You can get in a car and drive to the middle of nowhere in a few hours.

2) The average income of an Irish worker is quite high. We also (apparently) have one of the best standards of living in the world.

3) During summer, we aren't overcome by heatwaves.

And that's just to name a few things...

I love when you're out of the country, and you meet people from ireland...instantly you're the best of friends with them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

The People... There's lots for But I can't be bothered entertaining this way of thinking :P

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

[complain]well in my opinion its a ****e country(excuse my language) i've lived here all my life and its getting worse and worse, everything is too expensie(and i mean everything) half the drivers on the roads are useless drivers, the roads are a total discrace(you hit more pot holes when driving than a tennis player would hit a tennis ball in his lifetime), the country is being wreaked by scumbags and knackers[/complain]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Totally agree with Moderater.
    Ireland is a ****hole. During the world cup, I wore the opposing team's jersey for every match Ireland played. I just can't wait til I finish college (such a leech!) and **** off to the east coast of USA.

I actually know more words of the US, Canadian and UK national anthems than I do of Ireland's

ye i dont know any words in the national anthem, i dunno why we never learnt it at school, im a bit like snapscan im waiting til i finish college then im getting out of here, even if i can only go to england it'll be better than here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

LOL - Ireland is a class place. My whole family are rarley home all at once. Everyone is abroad at some stage working or whatever and they all say Ireland is one of the best places in the world.

1.Everyone is friendly
    2.We know how to have a laugh
    3.Educated people
    4.Country is rich at the moment
    5.Its a nice place to live
    6.Its not bilt up like so many countries.

Jaysus the list goes on......................if ya hate the place so much leave.
    Bet ya you will miss it.

• Advertisement

Ye id miss it but id still like to live somewhere else where i can have a happy life

1.Everyone is friendly
    (like all the scumbags who mug people for a living, and if you notice whereever you are out drinking any weekend night you always see fights)

2.We know how to have a laugh
    (ye we all know how to get pissed off our face)

3.Educated people
    (our leaving cert is ****e, is doesnt help people from different walks of life)(colleges are pretty good though)

4.Country is rich at the moment
    (im not rich, anyone else here rich, so if you wantewd you could go off and buy yourself a house next week no probs)(also if its so rich how come the roads are so ****e)

5.Its a nice place to live
    (no its not its way to expensive)

(it will be eventually)

Done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Ireland is a ****hole. During the world cup, I wore the opposing team's jersey for every match Ireland played. I just can't wait til I finish college (such a leech!) and **** off to the east coast of USA

you really are some di€k to be saying $hit like that. Lets see how long you last abroad

YOu're not rich because you're a student. Tough ****. You can't hate some where because of what it may become in the future. IE Built up. Have you been to america or worked there? Is it better? I'm sure more people get mugged, killed on the east cost of America then do in Ireland... even per head of Population. To me you sound like some one who would moan about where ever they lived. move to London... Then you'll know expensive.

John

if your so pi$$ed off moderator, f*ck off and stop complaining

Nicely put!

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I like Ireland, people great, savage night life (Dublin anyway), and wouldn't change my nationality for any other on the planet....... but so many things annoy me about living here.... like driving insurance costs..how do you all afford it ffs!!! petrol/fule costs, rent is disgracefull unless you want to live in the sticks, im nearly 22, and no way i'll be able to move out in Dublin untill im around 30!! But if you move to sticks you have to drive, bloody catch 22, all towns are filthy...too many knackers everywhere, (im from d4 goys for focks sake!), Irish girls seem to think they are 10 times hotter than they are (/me knows he's threading on thin ice), but if you go to the states or anywhere and chat to girls when you're out they're always polite regardless of wheter they would want to pull you or not...here if you chat to semi-decent lookin girl when your out, she's full of attitude as though her sh!t don't stink! Recks my head even more when im not even interested in scoring her! we get crap weather all year round.....the government annoy me SO much the way they fook everything up, there's to many industries monopolised like transport, communications, mobile and domestic...all this makes everything even more expensive, blah, blah, blah i can't go on or i'll be in a bad mood later!!!
    But im deffenatly gettin out of here when i finish college, New York is where i'd love to move to,or anywhere in the US, everything is so cheap, and i love big cities, great weather etc., but i havn't a clue how i would get a green card without entering the GC lotto....no way i'll get one from there, but will probably end up somewhere in Britain...would like London, but it has a lot of the same problems Dublin has.

if your so pi$$ed off moderator, f*ck off and stop complaining
    **** off yourself, if your not going to discuss then GTFO

I bet no one here could afford to buy a house and have 3 children and still be well off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moderater wrote:

I bet no one here could afford to buy a house and have 3 children and still be well off
    Define well off.

never really having to worry about money and run a good household

Moderater wrote:

dont have time, going out

Done

• Advertisement

anyways finished my rant for tonight, just one last question
    If you could live anywhere in the world would you choose ireland?

I certainly would not, id defo come back and vistit often though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Moderater wrote:
    anyways finished my rant for tonight, just one last question

I certainly would not, id defo come back and vistit often though
    No, but I'd like to live somewhere where clubs close later than 2am. Seems too early to close really :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Ireland is a ****hole. During the world cup, I wore the opposing team's jersey for every match Ireland played.

If I was a dictator of this country I would have you shot , luckily im not(yet , be very careful :mad: ) so you're ok for now . Seriously thats fairly ****ing pathetic , did you really get yourself a Saudi Arabia jersey or did you wear a Germany jersey once while the world cup was on and just made up a story ? .

Its hard being Irish though , to find our equal we have to talk to God .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

id say the relaxed lifestyle in ireland is quite important, id say on general most people are very laid back about things. I myself would be reluctant to go somewhere like the US to work because of all the law suits, compensation claims. However give us a few years and i'd say we wont be far behind america for that kind of nonsense, if we arent already.

still, i think the culture in ireland means there are a lot of decent people around who would lend you a hand and people arent as self obsessed as other parts of the world.

just my opinion tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We've had invasions,wars,failed rebellions,famine,failed rebellions,sligtly more successful rebellions,seen the demise of our language,partition,civil war,The Troubles,a peace process and we're still standing after all that!

We've also made an amazing imrpint on the world at large despite our small size.

Quite frankly if you don't like it here,then leave.
    Personally,I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Moderater wrote:
    [complain]well in my opinion its a ****e country(excuse my language) i've lived here all my life and its getting worse and worse, everything is too expensie(and i mean everything) half the drivers on the roads are useless drivers, the roads are a total discrace(you hit more pot holes when driving than a tennis player would hit a tennis ball in his lifetime), the country is being wreaked by scumbags and knackers[/complain]

go to russia all of eastern europe and check how great their roads are :/ , then head over to america and check out there gun crime out knackers are harmless by and large.

• I don't particularly like Ireland and my friends always get p*ssed off with me moaning about it and say I'm a negative cow but I can see it's an alright place to live. I think some of the people on here are gonna get a nasty shock when they move to wherever they think is great, and it turns out to be a craphole. I think every place has the same about of problems, just different ones. I really don't agree with a lot of the things people say about Ireland though, especially the friendly people. OK, some are great but in general I've found people to be friendlier in Spain, Greece and the Asian countries I've visited. I've met more than a few Irish people who were downright rude, snotty and ignorant. There's an obsession with money and class here which I hadn't experienced living in England. But I'll save the negative stuff for another thread, here are some positives:

- Beautiful landscapes. You can drive less than an hour out of Dublin and see mountains and gorgeous scenery. Everything is so green and alive. It always impresses me and I'm not an outdoorsy type.

- Good music - just think how many famous acts are from Ireland, not even including crap like Westlife. It's pretty impressive for such a tiny country.

- Decent pubs - Nice and cosy, very welcoming.

- Ryanair - everyone is always moaning about them but thanks to them I can go to loads of European cities cheaply, it's opened up a lot of doors.

- Lack of crime - OK we all know that sh*t happens like everywhere else, but in general, it isn't a dangerous country like the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

We've had invasions,wars,failed rebellions,famine,failed rebellions,sligtly more successful rebellions,seen the demise of our language,partition,civil war,The Troubles,a peace process and we're still standing after all that!

We've also made an amazing imrpint on the world at large despite our small size.

Very fair point, it makes my earlier posts a lot more whingy than was intended, and believe me, i'm so proud of where i come from, but i just amn't as happy here as i think i would be somewhere else where, all be it, material things and luxurys are more accesable to a guy like me, but maybe i'm dillisioned, maybe i'll come back with my tail between my legs.......who knows, your right though, i could be coming back to a much worse place....i could be from the north side or something! lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Moderater wrote:
    id defo come back and vistit often though

Why? I thought the place was shít? Why would you come back to such a shít place? Tell me, are you an idiot?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

mayordenis wrote:
    being quite well educated
    The quality of spelling and punctuation on Boards.ie tells a different story.

In this particular thread even...

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Moderater wrote:

Yes

A few things you should consider about moving to the US when you graduate:

1) Can you? unless you are entitled to US citizenship you won't be allowed

2) 24th highest crime (murder) rate in the world, Ireland is 55th

3) The US has 12.7% of its population living below the poverty line, Ireland has 10%

4) Murders with firearms (per capita) for the US is 8th highest in the world, Ireland is 26th

Also, if you do manage to get a visa or somesuch and a job in the US, you better not have any bad accidents or get sick because you will probably end up spending a long time working to pay off the hospital bills.

I could go on but this is boring me.....can you seriously say that you can't think of one good thing to say about Ireland :confused: have you lived some kind of sheltered existence? surely you must be aware that there are places in the world where people have to face poverty (Zambia), murder (Colombia) oppression (North Korea), Corruption (Bangladesh). You are either a fool or possibly the most ignorant person I have ever heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

dahamsta wrote:
    The quality of spelling and punctuation on Boards.ie tells a different story.

In this particular thread even...

adam

What's your point? None? I thought so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Moderater wrote:
    Name one thing thats good about living in ireland, you can't!
    Discuss

its home. doesnt need to be discussed really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

Nukem wrote:
    LOL - Ireland is a class place. My whole family are rarley home all at once. Everyone is abroad at some stage working or whatever and they all say Ireland is one of the best places in the world.

This is the most obvious reason Ireland isn't the best place. Practically every Irish person wants to get the hell out! Most of your family choose to live elsewhere, but think Ireland is the best place in the world?

I personally think Ireland is pretty good, although I live in Canada. I would probably live in Ireland for good if I grew up there. I was born in Ireland, but spent most of my life in Canada, although I did spend the last couple years over there.

-Ireland is much safer! The cops here have bullet proof vests and carry guns. There are shooting every day on the news and the US is 5 times worse!

-The nightlife is much better in Ireland. Boo hoo the clubs close at 2. Try going out and its all gangsta rap played at every place. Every guy is trying so hard to act tough and cool, you can't talk to them. The girls are much less down to earth, and only care if you drive a nice car or use steroids. There is also about one 10th as many places to go out. Do you enjoy your local? Well you won't have one over here... it will be a bar and grill like TGI Fridays.

-The people in Ireland are more likely to call a spade a spade. Everyone here is so fake, and you can live somewhere 20 years and never talk to your neighbours. There's no snese of community. Dublin even feels like a nice small town compared to the cold uncaring landscape of North America.

-I'll admit that Ireland is far too expensive and the gap between the rich and poor is disgraceful. I think its going downhill a lot of ways. Losing the thigns that made it great, like its people and gaining the money grubbing attitide. Everyone is not rich. Its just the rich who are getting richer and buying up all the property so they can walk allover the less well off. I left Ireland when I was 26, as I could not afford a place in the next 10 years, and wouldn't even consider driving a car. It was great that my boss drove a beamer and was buying his 3rd house though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

This is the most obvious reason Ireland isn't the best place. Practically every Irish person wants to get the hell out! Most of your family choose to live elsewhere, but think Ireland is the best place in the world?

this might have been the case before the eighties in the days when those who were fortunate enough to find work were paying enormous income tax, hardly the case now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

All I can say is I lived in the US for 18 months, couldnt wait to come back, I travelled all over the place when I was there too, landmarks etc, people in Ireland are just much friendlier, in the US you wouldnt just walk up to someone and start having a chat, you had to drive everywhere, my school was like 10 miles away, and closest shop was 2 miles (this is in Seattle, suburbs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It depends on yourself personally, if you like Ireland, live there. If not, move. It's all a matter of opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭shelly04

Moderater wrote:
    also if its so rich how come the roads are so ****e

(it will be eventually)
    first point:
    how much more tax would you be willing to pay?
    personally i think they should sort out health before the bloody roads, although the goverment does seem to be an utter joke.
    I do agree that the roads outside of dublin are awful though.. just think more import. things to sort first.

second point:
    why would it get built up if its such a dump??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Moderater wrote:
    Name one thing thats good about living in ireland

Ok. Its not america.
    Moderater wrote:
    ...you can't...

Just did.
    Moderater wrote:
    Discuss

I've been to america. Ireland isn't as bad as it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Moderater wrote:

If you think there is scumbags in this country wait till you get to anywhere else. Loads of sick twisted bastards in other countries
    Ireland is a ****hole. During the world cup, I wore the opposing team's jersey for every match Ireland played. I just can't wait til I finish college (such a leech!) and **** off to the east coast of USA.

You dont know your national anthem because you havent made the ****ing effort to learn it. Noone is going to do it for you. You seem proud of you world cup achievement, im surprised you didnt get a bottle into the back of the head, if I saw ya, its exactly what you get.

Personally, I do want to see the world when im finished college before i settle into a career. I would most likely return to ireland but the likes of hawaii or las vegas would be a nice alternative :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Ireland is good because 1) Friendly people, 2) No evil american style file-sharing suits, 3) Skangers don't have guns and assault rifles.

Ireland is bad because 1) The prices are higher than Mount Everest, 2) the corrupt government doesnt give feck all about the rest of the people except the rich corporate fatcats, 3) the damn censor office shut down Forbidden Planets anime DVD section because they didn't have irish censor stickers.(They were the only place doing TV series anime) :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well number 2s the same everywhere. Expect in socialist countries, but you wouldn't want to live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Moderater = Future news article about irish man found shot by super cuddly freindly homeboys with Mac 10s.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

I hate the fact that people here wreck their own country/city the amount of
    litter on the side of the road is a Fukking disgrace.
    it sickens me that people get pissed,stand up for the national anthem(cos they are so proud ) & then cant hold on to a fukking empty kebab wrapper for more than a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

What more can you say... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Ireland is awful because :

(1) Government is a joke: lets not kid ourselves people, if there was a general election tomorrow, Bertie wouldn't get in.

(2) EVERYTHING is too expensive

(3) Priests can't be trusted due to numerous abuse cases.

(4) Transport system is on a par with a Third World country.

(5) A small percentage of the population has all the wealth, probably tied in with Bertie and Co.

(6) and worst of all , WE TAKE IT !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

I used to allways moan about Ireland!I mean crap weather, prices and all!But since visiting other countries alot more im starting to see many advantages of living here and i can honestly say now i wouldnt wanna live anywhere else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

BolBill wrote:
    (1) Government is a joke: lets not kid ourselves people, if there was a general election tomorrow, Bertie wouldn't get in.

Recent polls put his popularity at above 50% (Not that this is my opinion)
    (2) EVERYTHING is too expensive

Compared to the US our health system and legal system is not as expensive
    (3) Priests can't be trusted due to numerous abuse cases.

This is not unique to Ireland, and besides I don't trust anybody who is a member of any religious order, its just a personal opinion but I think that there must be something mentally wrong with a person who unquestionably devotes themselves to these organisations (I am going to get flamed for that one)
    (4) Transport system is on a par with a Third World country.

Don't exaggerate
    (5) A small percentage of the population has all the wealth, probably tied in with Bertie and Co.

I agree, in fact a lot of the above posts seem to indicate that the biggest problem with Ireland is Bertie & Co, but thats easily remedied come election day
    (6) and worst of all , WE TAKE IT !!!!!!

I agree, there is not enough civil disobedience in this country

BolBill wrote:

Well he managed to get in twice. You think the American government isn't a joke? Yea... Right. I wish we had bush as President.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

and worst of all , WE TAKE IT !!!!!!

i agree but as a nation less than 100 years old with very little infrastucture we do alright & hopefully things will improve i hate people who rubbish this country & go on about how great it is somewhere else
    (go back then if its that good)
    its a pity that we (collectively) consistently vote the same shower of gombeen men into power.& I Include the oposition parties in this too.But perhaps thats because succesive governments lower & raise peoples expectations to suit theyre long term political needs.
    Corruption is not exclusive to Ireland nor is it exclusive to politicians.Someone who gets a tenner extra in their change & says nothing is just as corrupt as some politician getting a backhander in my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement