Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EU licence on the way.

• 22-01-2005 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭

Just heard that the European Parliament passed legislation to introduce a single licence across the union. A credit card size (finally) with drivers info on the strip. No dates yet. Some proposal that over 45's will have to take a medical test.

Licence will be a ten year one for car and motorcycle drivers and 5 years for HGV's.

Tony

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Does this have any implications on how long it will take me to get a test for a full license do you think? When are they to be introduced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Considering the legislation has just been passed, and the EU seems to be as slow as our lot about getting anything done, it could be decades. But in the grand scheme of all things European, that really doesn't matter.

As for driving tests? I doubt it will make any difference to our situation. I believe we are unique in that matter.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

DubTony wrote:
    Just heard that the European Parliament passed legislation to introduce a single licence across the union. A credit card size (finally) with drivers info on the strip. No dates yet. Some proposal that over 45's will have to take a medical test.

There has been a credit-card sized version of the EU licence for some time now, that countries have the option to use. Germany and the UK have had them for a while now. Does this proposal alter the standard in any way or is it just a way of forcing the rest of us to adopt it?

Dermot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

What about my case where I have both a car and HGV licence (i.e. differing validity periods) ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I don't know why Ireland can't just introduce Credit Card style Licenses anyway. In too many ways Ireland is so backward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

If this comes in, what would happen in an instance where a driver has been banned in one member state years ago but has moved to another member state and is driving there?

ie. would this thing be retroactive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I don't see how that could happen unless someone holds more than one driving licence...I know that we had a German come look at a house to share with us who was planning to go to the county council and get a new licence in Ireland without the benefit of doing an Irish driving test - he didn't have his German licence any more because it had been taken off him due to a drink driving conviction. We told him they'd probably make him do a test at the very least if he didn't have a licence to exchange, or a statement from the German authorities that he was entitled to a fully qualified driving licence, and I assume there was no way he'd get the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

I don't see how that could happen unless someone holds more than one driving licence...
    Well, what if the original license was irish, then driving offences commited in another member state - then the individual returns to ireland and has a second copy of original license issued.

Now, would that individual be liable for driving misdemeanours - which occurred a number of years ago in another member state - once this new license comes into effect (given that they have returned to ireland and reside there)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Very interesting point sam.Perhaps they'll stipulate that a ban previously enforced by a particular member state will still apply in that state only and to be caught driving in that state would result in your EU licence being taken from you completely. That would be a serious deterrent, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

u cannot get another eu license on exchange without presenting the one from the other state this is then cancelled and sent back to the original state. the only way of legally holding 2 eu licenses is to sit a new provisional license in the new country and sit a test.the problem is when the original license lapses at 10 years say u cannot renew this unless ur resident in that country unless u 'lie'

Advertisement