Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help: Slow surfing with Eircom BB

• 23-01-2005 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey everyone,
    I have an eircom broadband connection and live in South Dublin.
    recently surfing using internet explorer has become slower than with a dial up connection. taking ages for most pages (eg. hotmail) to open with some graphics and banners not even opening at all (just a red x symbol appears)

Yet if I download a file the download speed is normal and when I click on the connection icon on the lower right hand side of the screen the connection speed says 10.0 mbps.

I called eircom's expensive tech support and they told me to scan for spyware which I did using spybot and microsoft's new anti spyware beta but it didn't show up anything.

Can anyone help me?
    I am getting really frustrated with this!

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Try using another browser . That will at least tell if the problem is with IE or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

10.0 mbps
    kbps, surely...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

That's the speed of his/her ethernet connection perhaps.

If you can download stuff at high speeds but web pages take forever to load it's most likely a DNS problem. I.e your machine can't resolve domain names quickly. I'm not sure if this is an Eircom DHCP problem or where it lies, but I've had the problem and I know others who have had this problem too. The solution is to put in the Eircom DNS server settings on your PC (if you go to the properties of your network connection in the Control Panel you'll find the relevant section). I think the IP addresses are on Eircom's broadband web site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

If he's using the eircom router, then the dns servers are in the config on the router and then they're passed onto the local pc when dhcp kicks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 thesav

I've been having a similar problem from last week. Up to that everything was great. The only thing I changed was to install the following option in win XP in Add remove programs\networking services: Peer to Peer, RIP Listener, Simple Tcp/ip services/UPnP User interface. Afte istalling these components I noticed an immediate slow down to uninstalled but got no joy. Response rates still slow.
    Tonight I have added the Primary and secondary DNS addresses from Eircom to my connection properties and lobehold my speeds are back to normal. My router is a netopis 3346 with DHCP enabled but didn't seem to d anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement