Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Vs Newcastle (scores)

• 23-01-2005 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

Big game today for Arsenal, with United overtaking them and Chelsea pulling 13 clear they can ill-afford to lose.

Its a game I think they will win, they traditionally do well against Newcastle, and Lauren and Campbell agreeing new deals during the week will be a big plus. If they want to stay in touch they need to start building some momentum and I think it start here, so Im off to PP now to put some down on a 3-1 win.

Shearer back for Newcastle will cause some problems so I cant see Arsenal keeping a clean sheet at the back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

tricky game for arsenal, newcastle are extremely poor this season but still have the ability to get something out of this.

arsenal are hitting a bad patch, they cant keep up with utd, never mind chelsea. both utd and chelsea are hitting solid form and at full throttle, arsenal havn't hit it yet.

they now find themsleves under pressure to keep ahead of utd, it wasnt too long ago they were quite a bit ahead of utd. i'll go with 2-1 arsenal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

yeah a bit ahead, i think it was 13 points back when they were the invincibles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

smemon wrote:
    tricky game for arsenal
    You might almost say its a "banana skin" tie for them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Is shearer playing? If he is I wouldn't be surprised to see newcastle win but their defence will need to on their game.

The Muppet wrote:
    Is shearer playing?
    Yes I think so, I saw the teams on Sky but cant find them on the net to copy and paste.

Bellamy is out though, so is Ljungberg.

• Advertisement

You might almost say its a "banana skin" tie for them ;)

exactly, a mid-table side, unpredictable, can roll you over at any time yet on paper should be an easy win. like a m'boro, everton, man city....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yes I think so, I saw the teams on Sky but cant find them on the net to copy and paste.

Shearer is the sole striker, He's getting on a bit for that. Bellamy is not in the squad and he doesn't look very happy about it. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

1-0 arsenal great finish from bergkamp. the man still has it. Surely if shearer is looking for a reason to extend his career bergkamp is the maan to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Still 1-0 some how.....

Great game though :)

Good performance by Arsenal, really should have put the game away though. Given played a stormer, kept Newcastle in the game.

It was the type of performance Arsenal need with the United game around the corner, they really need to be on top form going into that because if not United could well turn them over.

Vieira was outstanding, Reyes played well too. Flamini also looked decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

good performance by Arsenal, forwards a bit off their game but Berjkamp is there as always to slot one home. Well deserved win.

P.s. I think amiodbi is ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Arsenal played the type of football that we'd come to expect of them and if this is the dawn of their return to form we may yet see a push to the finish for the title (3-way).

That said, what about Shay Given?!!! That has to be one of the best performances by a keeper this season and if Wenger is in the market he can't but be impressed by what he saw.

I had wondered if Shay was beginning to lose form but if Arsenal had something to prove, Shay seemed to aswell. Bodes well for October I hope ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Great to see Given do so well. Did he get MOM?

yeah givens too good for newcastle.

theyre just going round in circles like spurs and will never win major honours. if he's to further his career, nows the time to go when he's basically a choice between utd and arsenal.

his shot-stopping ability is 2nd to none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yes indeedy, I want given, and I think Utd can get him.

Why? Part exchange deal for the ****load of extra players that Newcastle would really like to have :)

perhaps a swap deal for o'shea would tempt newcastle. plus utd did them a favour with the butt deal, slightly underpriced so that will go in utd's favour no doubt.

however they'll need a keeper obviously so unless they can get an instant replacement they wont let him go without a fight.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Given was brilliant, best one for a long time.
    Ameobi is pure pants alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Arsenal created many chances but still seem a little rusty when compared to the start of the season.. Boumsong played a good game I thought, as did Given of course..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Henry:
    “It was a better performance – and if Shay Given wasn’t there it would have been a lot more goals for us.

“One goal is enough to win the game. It’s better to put one or two more in, but sometimes goalkeepers have great games. It was one of those days for him.

“When other strikers don’t score it doesn’t matter, but when I don’t it does matter.

“It’s not only down to me. Everyone was going forward together, and sometimes that’s the way it is; you hit the post and goalkeeper has a great game.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

PHB wrote:
    Yes indeedy, I want given, and I think Utd can get him.

Why? Part exchange deal for the ****load of extra players that Newcastle would really like to have :)

I think Newcastle may still me wary after butt ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

smemon wrote:
    perhaps a swap deal for o'shea would tempt newcastle. plus utd did them a favour with the butt deal, slightly underpriced so that will go in utd's favour no doubt.

however they'll need a keeper obviously so unless they can get an instant replacement they wont let him go without a fight.

Yeah, amazing deal, sell Newcastle a player carrying an injury who's now out for the season.... Oh please Manchester United bestow some more of your benevolent gifts upon us!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Yeah, amazing deal, sell Newcastle a player carrying an injury who's now out for the season.... Oh please Manchester United bestow some more of your benevolent gifts upon us!!!

"Cough" woodgate "cough"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

"Cough" woodgate "cough"...

Real knew Woodgate hadn't kicked a ball in three months when they bought him, Butt was supposed to be fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Its debatable if real knew the full extent of the injury,but then you could argue a good doctor would have spotted it!
    Likewise butt would have to have undergone a medical and so a good doctor should have spotted any such injury !

Advertisement