Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i stop text alerts?!

Options
  • 23-01-2005 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

about a year ago, i signed up to manu text alerts on rte teletext.

i dont need or want them anymore and want to unsubscribe. have the number of the alerts but cant seem to unsubscribe or dont know how to.

any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

u shoud have gotten unsub details in ur 1st txt from the no. do u still have it?

try http://www.rte.ie/aertel/ to see if anything there

other than this try your mobile provider / comreg - they may be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

u shoud have gotten unsub details in ur 1st txt from the no. do u still have it?

try http://www.rte.ie/aertel/ to see if anything there

other than this try your mobile provider / comreg - they may be able to help

no, dont have it. i know the UK have a general message to unsubscribe like 'STOP' i think. theres nothing like that here no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

may have to buy a new sim

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tell us what you signed up for, and we'll see if we can find a code to stop it...

the_syco wrote:
    Tell us what you signed up for, and we'll see if we can find a code to stop it...

manu text alerts. there was a list of all other prem sides and scottish too i think. it comes from an 086 num if that helps. plus it's an iTouch service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

lomb wrote:
    may have to buy a new sim

You will not have to buy a new SIM. If you replace your SIM and the number is still the same you will continue to receive alerts.

You need to unsubscribe. Send the word STOP as a reply to the next or last alert you received. RegTel has directed all service providers to have this STOP service.

However, if it is coming from an 086 number it is not a premium service and you are not being charged for it. If it comes from a 5 digit number starting with 5 you may be charged.

If you are un happy ring the provider iTouch. If no joy ring RegTel. www.regtel.ie

RegTel say that the largest number of complaints they receive is from people who are unable to subscribe froma text service. They have also indicated that they will suspend services if they don't introduce STOP commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

hi

just wanted to clarify something....so hope you guys may be able to help me!!

1. If I receive txt alerts from 086 or 087 numbers (which I have subscribed too by the way) can I assume correctly I will not be charged for receiving them?

2. If I receive txt alerts from a 5-digit number, usually starting with the number 5, I will be charged for receiving them?

I have just been receiving a lot of txt alerts from 086 and 087 numbers recently and I am 100% certain I have subscribed to them. I have forward the txt alerts to vodafone spam 50005 (free by the way) but I just hope I am not being charged for receiving them!!!

--laoisfan

BrianD wrote:
    You will not have to buy a new SIM. If you replace your SIM and the number is still the same you will continue to receive alerts.

You need to unsubscribe. Send the word STOP as a reply to the next or last alert you received. RegTel has directed all service providers to have this STOP service.

However, if it is coming from an 086 number it is not a premium service and you are not being charged for it. If it comes from a 5 digit number starting with 5 you may be charged.

If you are un happy ring the provider iTouch. If no joy ring RegTel. www.regtel.ie

RegTel say that the largest number of complaints they receive is from people who are unable to subscribe froma text service. They have also indicated that they will suspend services if they don't introduce STOP commands.

sent 'STOP' but it just came back "we are unable to detect the message you are trying to send...."

might have to ring regtel alright or i could just switch nums (ive an army of sims although a meteor one with over €50 crdt has expired ) however that's alot of hassle with friends, family etc.

i am being charged by the way, although just the normal rate.

Did you send the STOP command to a short code (eg 5XXXX) or a long code (eg. 08X XXXXXXX)?

Premium short code services are supposed to have the STOP command implemented by now. However, it does get complicated because there man be a number of different services operating on the same short code. So you might have to send STOP RINGTONES (or something along those lines).

You should not be charged for msgs. received from 08X numbers. However, there should be some unsub method available. You should check if did subscribe in the first place to these services before reporting as spam! If you did subscribe it is not spam!

Do you have the short code that you are unable to unsubscribe from? If you are being charged for msgs received it must appear as a short code on your bill.

BrianD wrote:
    Did you send the STOP command to a short code (eg 5XXXX) or a long code (eg. 08X XXXXXXX)?

Premium short code services are supposed to have the STOP command implemented by now. However, it does get complicated because there man be a number of different services operating on the same short code. So you might have to send STOP RINGTONES (or something along those lines).

You should not be charged for msgs. received from 08X numbers. However, there should be some unsub method available. You should check if did subscribe in the first place to these services before reporting as spam! If you did subscribe it is not spam!

Do you have the short code that you are unable to unsubscribe from? If you are being charged for msgs received it must appear as a short code on your bill.

no it comes from 086 nums so i dont have the short code (i sent the 'stop' msg to the 086 num) however is it possible the 086 num is also a short num like 5****??

i did subscribe to these alerts, so it's not spam, just unwanted trash!

• Advertisement

You should not be charged if they are 08X number. I suggest that you contact RTE and/or iTouch and say you want to unsubscribe.

Ir you subscribe to the service and no long want it, is not 'spam' as such so you should not report it to 50005.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

From BrianD
    "You should not be charged if they are 08X number. I suggest that you contact RTE and/or iTouch and say you want to unsubscribe."

Just to clarify, you will be charged Premium rates for messages received from 08x numbers. Most Premium rate numbers I know of originate from 08x xxxxxxx
    Both Premium rate (30c) alerts that I am signed up for originate from an 086 xxxxxxx

Maybe this is only the case for O2?

Nearly all premium services are MT (mobile terminate). This means that you are charged each time you receive a message from the service provider. So you send a message to 5XXXX and the respose you receive is where the charge is generated. The message you receive normally shows the short code it comes from.

I do recall from the early days that some networks and phones did display the long code instead of short code. This practice should have ended as it is not very transparent. Furthermore, your provider needs to have implememt the STOP command as directed by RegTel. To be honest you need to get in direct contact with the service provider. You should make a note of the first time you sent the STOP command and then ask for a refund for any messages received since.

Advertisement