Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Chester

Options
  • 23-01-2005 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Who is this guy and does he have a website? Is he the same Joe Chester from Ten Speed Racer? "Charlie for a Girl" is the debut single I think and sounds really good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Yeah he's the Joe Chester of Ten Speed Racer. Can't find a website for him, maybe if you check out Ten Speed Racer's site you'll have more luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

That clears up something for me anyway, thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

Playing Whelans on march 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

He also did some producing for FKOS if you're interested. Ye can add it to your Joe Chester CV. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Cheers, the CV so far according to MCD

"My tip for the top, as it were, remains as it has been, Joe Chester. His album is without doubt a joy to behold. It's perfect pop." - Tom Dunne, Today FM

Joe Chester has confirmed a show at Whelans on 3 March to coincide with the release of his début album, A Murder Of Crows, on the BARP label on 18 February 2005. Tickets on sale now from usual outlets nationwide.

The album was written over the last 2 years inbetween various periods of production work and band membership and recorded and mixed by Joe in Wexford and Dublin.

Seamlessly combining acoustic and electric instrumentation in a beautifully simple and affecting format, Joe (with a little help from a handful of musician friends) captures the listener from the opening bars of the lilting title-track right through to the final moments of the strings and piano finale of _Anyway_.

The ten tracks have a feel and a warmth that is all their own, but if you must have comparisons, think of classic Evan Dando, Neil Hannon at his most sublime, Fleetwood Mac and 10CC in their finest moments, Ben Folds at his absolute best_,

In the mid-90s Joe quietly released some records under the name The Sound Of Bells. At the same time he was a member of highly-rated Dublin-based guitar hopefuls Sunbear (_Sunbear make big, bold and very beautiful music!_ Hot Press).

He drifted into production taking on studio duties with a broad swathe of Irish artists including Future Kings Of Spain, Nina Hynes, Sack, Miriam Ingram, Nick Kelly, Dr Millar and Alazarussoul before taking to the stage again _ this time as a member of Nina Hynes_ touring band in the U.S.

While he was over in the States he bumped into another Dublin-based guitar band Tenspeedracer and after a meeting of minds took up a permanent position with them on guitar. That was in the year 2000 and the band quickly relocated to a farm in Wexford where they set up a recording studio. The band released 2 albums, 2 EPs and lots of singles on Red Flag Records which gave Joe his first taste of Chart Positions and crucial radio playlists.

Meanwhile Joe had also been using Wexford as a writing space for his own songs, starting work on a solo album in 2002. When Tenspeedracer split up in June 2004 he moved back to Dublin and, a concerted burst of activity, finished working on A Murder Of Crows.

Tracklisting: 1) A Murder Of Crows 2) How You Wish You Feel 3) Charlie For A Girl 4) A Safe Place To Hide 5) The Emptiness Inside 6) A Drop Of Rain 7) Bleed To Love Her 8) Pain, Relieve 9) I Always Think You_re Leaving Me 10) Anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement