Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unlocked meteor- now no network

• 23-01-2005 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

i just unlocked my meteor prepay 3100 and now im getting no network coverage with my sim.the phone turns on fine but no coverage .have i been nobbled by meteor?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

is the phone just new? you have to wait until all of your free credit runs out before inserting a different sim card into your meteor phone, or it will be locked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

yah i didn't know that. is the credit gone now

no its not gone, you have to ring up meteor and get them to unlock your phone so you can use it again. Its a precaution they put in place to stop people buying phones for free credit and then unlocking them.

L5 wrote:
    no its not gone, you have to ring up meteor and get them to unlock your phone so you can use it again. Its a precaution they put in place to stop people buying phones for free credit and then unlocking them.
    thank god for that.what happens now?i put back the meteor sim ring them up and they lock the phone again is that it?

well i dont think the meteor sim will give you reception either when you put it back in, the phone has been locked so no sim will work i think. You need to get a different phone and phone meteor and tell them to take the lock off it.

• Advertisement

thanks got it sorted with meteor .i put back the original meteor sim and they switch it back on .they say i gotta spend the first twenty(out of 80) euro and then i can use my own sim after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

ive never heard of that, meteor have in my knowledge no ability to block an imei number except on their network or block that sim which i know they do. if they screwed my imei as some networks do(by putting it on stolen list when it isnt) u bet ur bottom dollar id reflash rhe eeprom and change imeis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I had no problems with my 3100. Though I had used my credit before I got it unlocked.

what happened was i unlocked my new prepay meteor phone.the new meteor sim with 80 euro credit then wouldn't work .so i had to put the meteor sim bak in and ring them to get my sim working again

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I think it's the account they lock.

Happened to me when I decided I felt like using my meteor sim. I moved it from an old Trium to Nokia 8310. Ended up with more credit than I had originally expected so wasn't too displeased. :p (The credit had deactivated or something - around 1/1.5 years after I got the (free-AIB student account) phone)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A mobile phone can be locked to X number of operators. Some 5, some more, some less. Example, on some phones, if you type #0000# you get info on the phone, and if you navigate around it, you find what operators your phone is locked to.
    Firmware Version:
    *#0000#
    *#51x0# or
    *#9999#

View Serial No:
    *#92772689#

IMEI Code:
    *#06#

The above are some of the codes you can enter to get infomation off a 3100.

Yep, happened to me last summer. Got a new Motorola V300, unlocked it and put my O2 SIM in. Then I put the new Meteor SIM in a Nokia 3310 and they cut it off. Had to call back and keep the SIM in the V300 until I spent the first €20 of credit.

The phone wasn't barred, only the account got disabled.

Karsini wrote:
    Yep, happened to me last summer. Got a new Motorola V300, unlocked it and put my O2 SIM in. Then I put the new Meteor SIM in a Nokia 3310 and they cut it off. Had to call back and keep the SIM in the V300 until I spent the first ?20 of credit.

The phone wasn't barred, only the account got disabled.
    exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Airwaves

Does anyone know if Meteor still do this I rang them and asked if I bought an upgrade could I give the phone away and still grt the credit in another phone they said no problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

When upgrading you must use the upgrade handset with the number you gave in the store. The network recognises the handset through the imei and matches it with your number. Your sold the upgrade, under the pretense that your going to be using it with the number you provided. If you dont, you dont get the credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Nope, not exactly...

Firstly, lets make clear, the previous post & mine below refer to PrePay upgrades:

Just make sure that your SIM is the first to use the upgrade handset(i.e. make the first chargeable Call/SMS), then "Re-Register" (i.e. Register the upgrade) with Customer Care or online www.mymeteor.ie .

Once you have gotten your inital/up-front upgrade credit you can do what you like with the phone, you will still receive the monthly upgrade credit from there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 peaderfi

i work for meteor and it is something that is done by the people we get the phones off...basically you need to use up the credit that comes with the phone (not the €80 just the credit that is on the sim card when you buy the phone) otherwise it is pack split and therefore usless to anyone wishing to sell it on...it is a precaution which is used in order to prevent foreign people buying phones over here and sending them back to their own countries where prices for the same model of phone are significantly higher

blocking the account is just a precaution to stop them selling the sim card to other people seperately to the phone

and yes they can do this it is software that is put on most phones by the supply company to all the mobile shops in ireland

Advertisement