Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ide cables

Options
  • 23-01-2005 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭

Are the round cables any better than the normal ones. Ive read that they are, but then I remember reading that they are not good for copying dvds and cds on the fly so its a bit confusing.
    Is there any difference at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Better for airflow around your case and they look nicer, thats about it really. Theyre made to work the exact same as regular ones.

Ive heard one or two people saying they can cause errors but i dont know how sound that information is TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Col_Loki wrote:
    Ive heard one or two people saying they can cause errors but i dont know how sound that information is TBH.
    Another fantastic urban legend that one is. Y'know who makes these things up? The Anti-Overclocking lobby of the internet. The people who here things, never bother to look into them themselves and regurgitate it for the gospel for all to acknowledge :p
    The person who displays such knowledge probably has every ms cert known to man under his belt.

Kinda like the nerd who thinks he knows it all who tries to intimidate some poor lad looking for more frames from his games -- with such amazing false facts as, "the human eye can't see more than 30fps, so why would you need 60 or 100 you big nobbo you!? 30fps rules, anything else is retarded, I know it all" :D

back on topic: I used to chop my own flat ide cables then round them myself with non-conductive tape. If it was done correctly it would work. If it wasn't and I exposed or cut the wires -- it didn't work and you knew all about it, it never killed a drive either. They'd want to be some seriously crappy made ones if they did do that and even if it was the case, do you think folks like Akasa would be catering for us with them in every colour of the rainbow? ;)

The only benefit is airflow and looks if you have a window and you're bothered about matching colours or some such. If you're strapped for cash I definitely recommend trying to make your own, nice time killing stuff for a Sunday afternoon when you're hungover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

why would they cause errors?? they are made from exactly the same stuff?? no?? Same wires inside them, just different plastic encasing around them

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

They are made the exact same. Look at linke
    I know i showed this in another thread but seemed fitting. Thats all the rounded cables are really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

lol, yea i know there the same as ordinary cables.... im using them myself. Makes no sence to me why they wouldnt work perfectly and ive had no problems, was just saying what i picked up going through the boards in relation to the initial question. Think it was max headroom who brought it up a while ago.........

Good to hear its un-true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement