Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jikes or javac

Options
  • 23-01-2005 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

what is the difference in compiling with javac or jikes or does it even matter? surely if they both compile java they do it the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

jikes is an (open source?) compiler from IBM for java. javac is from sun, and is gospel. If javac does it then that's what is. Our software engineering lectuerer mentioned both and said the only real difference would be if you were compiling loads of classes. Severl hunderd (or thousand) class. Jikes would be faster then. That's all I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 leesong

Syth is right.

Javac is the "default" sun's implementation - however can be slow for most large projects.

Personally I use jikes for most development (professional and personal) because it compiles my code 5x-10x faster than JAVAC; Jikes also produces better error and compilation messages.

That said everything going into test is compiled with JAVAC.

Advertisement