Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Burke's fate to be decided.

Options
  • 23-01-2005 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

The former Minister for Justice appears before Dublin’s Circuit Criminal Court tomorrow facing a possible 5 year sentence for non-payment of tax. The man who the Flood Tribunal declared corrupt has paid over €600,000 in a tax settlement to the CAB, and faces a legal bill of €10.5 million. This corrupt former Fianna Fail member was appointed Minister for Foreign Affairs in 1997 by Bertie Ahern, and when he resigned as Minister in October 1997, Bertie Ahern said “I believe he resigned both as the strongest protest that he could make at the shameful treatment to which he has been subjected by certain parties in the is house and by certain sections of the media who cynically regard politics as a blood sport”

This former Minister had 5 off-shore bank accounts in which he hid in the region of €400,000 which he had received from corrupt payments. He continues to receive a generous salary of more than €80,000 from the taxpayer, a ministerial pension of €44,435 and a TD’s pension of €38,000.

I hope they throw the book at him! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

I was just reading an article in the newspaper saying tomorrow is mathematically calculated to be the worst day of the year - in Ray Burke's case - I certainly hope so! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd forgotten about Burkes "date with destiny". Did'nt spot anything in the papers. I bet he gets off with a fine and a suspended...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Well If ahern was to blame the media in 1997 for ray burke resigning then he should consider the shabby treatment he gave to the people who work in the media when he was doing dodgy deals concerning broadcasting licences in the late 1980s.

Personally I hope they throw the book at him....several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I hope the fecking book hits him straight between the eyes. Arrogant and ignorant tosser that he is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

mike65 wrote:
    I'd forgotten about Burkes "date with destiny". Did'nt spot anything in the papers. I bet he gets off with a fine and a suspended...

Mike.

I agree , he is after all Berties fall guy and if he were to spill the beans on all he knows ....well our beloved leader would be shagged !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

sharkman wrote:
    I agree , he is after all Berties fall guy and if he were to spill the beans on all he knows ....well our beloved leader would be shagged !

beloved leader more like corrupt dictator of a banana republic :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

lomb wrote:
    beloved leader more like corrupt dictator of a banana republic :D

Exactly !

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sharkman wrote:
    well our beloved leader would be shagged !
    But I hear he is getting some already. ;)

Advertisement