Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from ISDN to broadband procedure?

• 23-01-2005 7:40pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok apparently Monasterevin is not far from having broadband,i hope.
    Im on isdn the past 2 years,56k for 3 years before that.
    I dont know if im correct but i recall someone saying those on isdn need an engineer to come out and downgrade isdn back to normal phone line and then a few weeks wait until they can come back to install broadband.
    How much of this is true guys and what is the procedure exactly?
    Thanks in advance for feedback.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anyone ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

You will require an engineer install. Line needs to be downgraded from ISDN first. Not sure whether they do it all in one go though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

You should ring accounts the day before you order and get them to turn hunting off on the line. Otherwise you got to do that and ring them back anywhere up to 24 hours later before they can submit your order. I ordered recently and had to wait for that :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Can i ask what turning off hunting is/does?
    Also turning it off will i loose net access between the time its turned off and when they get round to installing broadband?
    I have isdn rental for eircom,if i go with esat broadband can their engineers uninstall eircoms isdn or do i need eircom to carry out this task?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Zoso

I've finally had my ISDN line coverted to xDSL in the last couple of weeks. An engineer did not come out to change anything. The line does need to be stripped back to PSTN though but afaik that can all be done at the exchange (in most cases anyway).

In my case ISDN simply stopped working around 11am on the date we'd been told for the DSL activation. Came home from work that evening, ripped off the old style ISDN NTU and wired line into a (spare) standard Eircom PSTN wall box, verified dial tone and then verified DSL (i.e. setup supplied DSL router).

As you've only had ISDN for two years you've most likely got one of the newer ISDN NTUs (old ones didn't have any PSTN ports) - if so then you can leave this in place if you want - just verify dial tone off one of the PSTN ports and then plug in a filter to split PSTN/DSL signals.

Of course if you request an engineer to come out and setup your DSL service then you can probably expect a delay between the time your line is activated and the date an engineer shows up..

ymmv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

good news for us isdn people so :P and i ahve the newer isdn pnp units :P

Advertisement