Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self service checkouts in Tesco Blanchardstown

Options
  • 23-01-2005 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭

I was just in Tesco Blanchardstown. They have replaced the 'Baskets only' checkouts with self service checkouts.
    The regular checkouts had large queues so I went to the self service ones (curiousity too). A Tesco employee watched over the checkouts, ready to assist as necessary.
    It was very easy. Items with barcodes were scanned as necessary and loose items selected from a list on the touch screen.
    After scanning items are placed in your bag on what appears to be a sort of scales beside the scanner. This presumably is to weigh the bag to ensure unscanned items are not added.
    You can pay by the usual methods. No cashback facility. Quite a pleasant experience and quite quick.

[I didn't feel that any of the 'Shop' fourms were appropriate for this thread]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

most stores in America have 3-4 self-service checkouts for about 3 years or so, same idea, just scan the barcode and put the stuff into the bag. Of course they are for 20 items or less. They said in a few states in America that it wouldnt catch on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Pataman

Tesco in Bloomfield Dun Laoghaire have had them for a few months now. Very handy, unless granny gets in front of you(not norally ageist, but when you are on a lunch break you dont want to spend it in Tesco). You get the impression there will be more and more of these. I wonder as staff retire will they be replaced or will there be more of these. Surprised the unions havent said anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

SuperQuinn in blackrock have had something like this for a while. You need to be a clubcard member, when you walk in you scan your card and take a hand held barcode scanner from the rack.

You can then do your shopping scanning the food as you put them in your basket / shopping bags. The screen on the scanner gives you a running total (which i think is excellent)

When your finished go the the self service check out, hand over the scanner and pay the girl on the till.

its a pretty cool system

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

tesco greystones has the self service also. cool, but a bit odd the way you've to put everything down on the scales... i was there with the girlf and we didn't have a bag, so I was picking things up as they went down... confused the hell out of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I used the one in blanch today - very handy and was out of tesco in record time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Yep I live right beside it and was great for getting beer on the laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I had a look at the one in Dunleary and thought about it but it was much too scary. But then I'm probably too old for that new fangled stuff.

Maybe my children will understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

whats to stop people abusing it by not scanning stuff in etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

they have staff monitoring that, in Navan anyway because if you make a mistake or whatever, they have to correct it and take security things off items like dvds and things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

They are now in Tesco Finglas (sorry... Clearwater :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

L5 wrote:
    whats to stop people abusing it by not scanning stuff in etc ?
    You have to put the scanned item into your bag which sits on a scales.
    Presumably adding an unscanned item to your bag will be noticed by the scales.
    They are now in Tesco Finglas (sorry... Clearwater :D )
    You mean Janelle :D - remember Crazy Prices? I wonder why they levelled that shopping centre instead of just gutting it.

Advertisement