Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aprilla RS125

Options
  • 23-01-2005 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I am about to look for my first motorbike and I am intrested in the Aprilla RS125, what are the advantages/disadvantages of this bike?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

This should b in motors but anyway,
    DONT go for the RS125, firstly and most importantly its a grp7 insurance bike - which means more than a cbr250 and just less then a 400cc sportsbike! If your over say 25 or 30 then the insurance will be not too bad, but in this country its just not worth it!!
    Secondly, their more tempermental then a room full of menopausal women! It has to be looked after very well..

Bascially, dont go near it, unless you live beside a race track and want to enter some sort of 125cc races, even then id go for the mito!

If your young - 18 - 20, then go for the Honda NSR125 Restricted bike, its a grp2 and is very insurable.. Ive got one and love it! They can get 80-85mph restricted and have good acceleration, and they look really good! Without doubt they are the best group 2 bike if your looking for sportsbike looks.. Of couse there are crusers, off-road etc..

They are e5,500 NEW, but for second hand go to www.buyandsell.net and search..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

RS125 are a nightmare. Always popping and parts are EXPENSIVE in this country.
    As stated before, the NSR125 is almost identical performance wise. If your young get a restricted NSR125... You could always de-restrict if yourself at a later date *sshh* :)

More importantly, its easy to work on and parts are easy to find. Because with 2strokes, you WILL be maintaining a lot, its what theyre about! I bought my NSR125 (not restricted, 27 BHP, easily hit the 100mph mark!) not just for fun, but also to learn about engines. Theyre a lovely, and reliable (for a 2stroke) bike.

I'm selling my NSR 125 in the summer due to an upgrade (car baby!), if your interested id be willing to let it go for peanuts as its just collecting dust in the shed! I'll even service her and polish it up for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Having driven the rs and owned an nsr, theres no worries of maintenance, unless you don't treat them correctly. Allowing them to warm before running and using fully syn 2 stroke oil. Bunch of us had nsr's and rs's, no one had problems whatsoever, in fact, i now own an rvf and its way more tricky to run than the nsr was.

At worst with the rs, you'll need new rings and gaskets after 10k to 15k. The nsr should never need these unless you are a moron and run it as such. Performance wise, neither are particularily fast. The nsr has less power, especially on top end but does have a more useable low power (for what little power a 2 stroke delievers down low)
    The RS weighs less than it, looks more up to date than it (the nsr has had that look for almost 10 years now, and its old)

Aprilia parts are NOT as expensive as honda parts, its a myth. If you break plastics on the nsr, you will pay thru the nose for OEM kit.

A restricted nsr will NOT do 85mph, at a stretch you'd be looking at 75....downhill, hunched over, with the wind behind you. At full power (all 29 of it) it will cleanly accelerate to about 70-75 and then crawl to an indicated 100, which is more likely a true 90-95.

Despite the bad name ppl slap on strokers, they treat you as well as you treat them and are some of the most fun bikes, especially to learn on....not the best bike to learn on now, but fun.

If you can afford either the rs/nsr, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

I like the looks of RS but NSR would be my choice ,very reliable.

Ratchet wrote:
    I like the looks of RS but NSR would be my choice ,very reliable.

Well.. as reliable as 2 strokers get :)
    It's all about a bit of TLC...baby

• Advertisement

The big point here is the HUGE insurance differience between the two, NSR - GRP 2, RS - GRP 7!.. Basically, the RS isnt worth the extra you will be paying to the insurance company..
    A restricted nsr will NOT do 85mph, at a stretch you'd be looking at 75....downhill, hunched over, with the wind behind you. At full power (all 29 of it) it will cleanly accelerate to about 70-75 and then crawl to an indicated 100, which is more likely a true 90-95.

Ive got 85mph on the speedo on mine planty of times and its restricted! (prob 80/81/82 tru speed!).. However, my bike is pretty new and is well looked after - best oil etc.. so that make a difference too..

Well oil is important, yeah but I got rid of all the restrictions on the NSR 125 RR (Aparantly the 'non restricted' model).

The NSR 125 R is the factory restricted one. Its CDI restricted so the only way to get more power is to replace the CDI.

The NSR 125 RR isint factory restricted, but there are restrictions which can be easily removed. The 3 I found were: Exhaust, Air intake & front sprocket.

The exhaust and air intake can be removed yourself, but you'll need to get new sprockets although I dont think its worth the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 aj3001

Ok thanks, I dont really like the looks of the NSR, and I am going to be 17, I have looked at the insurance and its affordable, I think for the tempromental issue I will just have to try one out before I buy to see what she handles like with me, thanks for the help!

At 17 your not going to be able to afford insurance unless your stinking rich.
    You can get insured on a 1.4litre car at 17 for the same price as an RS 125.

Chances if you buy an RS 125 your not going to get insured which will catch up on you eventually...

kev boy wrote:

Ive got 85mph on the speedo on mine planty of times and its restricted! (prob 80/81/82 tru speed!).. However, my bike is pretty new and is well looked after - best oil etc.. so that make a difference too..

If so, your speedo's knackered, big style. Or your engine isn't actually restricted, but knackered.
    Restricted the bike is only putting out about 12bhp, it physically can't do 80.
    All the oil in the world won't make it go that fast. Go find a speed trap on some road that reads your speed to a roadside sign, i seem to remember them being on the n4 from time to time. Let it tell you what you are actually doing. Better yet, find someone on an ns-1 and notice that you can't get away from him on top end!

• Advertisement

If so, your speedo's knackered, big style. Or your engine isn't actually restricted, but knackered.

What u on mate?? Im speedo's fine, and the engine is working perfectly.. I can get the bike to 75mph pretty easily with acceleration and then if the road is straight to 80/85mph sometimes... Fact is i have got my bike to 85mph on the speedo!
    The NSR 125 R is the factory restricted one. Its CDI restricted so the only way to get more power is to replace the CDI.

Dont know about that.. Not many, hardly any in fact, of the NSR's are CDI restricted.. Vast majority are basic intake and carb restricted!

kev boy wrote:
    What u on mate?? Im speedo's fine, and the engine is working perfectly.. I can get the bike to 75mph pretty easily with acceleration and then if the road is straight to 80/85mph sometimes... Fact is i have got my bike to 85mph on the speedo!

The fact you can equate that your engine with half power can still manage 85 is hilarious. Honda specs claim 75 for the restricted version, yet yours is special is it?
    Not only that, get to 75 pretty easily eh?
    Unrestricted you're likely to hit 60 in 5-6 seconds, restricted, its 11, a 150 scooter would murder you, a crap micra will probably do you to 60.

If you're bike goes over any of the above spec's, its either not restricted and probably ****ed, or you're talking out of your ass.

[PHP]The fact you can equate that your engine with half power can still manage 85 is hilarious. Honda specs claim 75 for the restricted version, yet yours is special is it?[/PHP]

Where does Honda 'specs' claim 75mph??! Ive never seen that before anywhere!
    The only way to shut you up is to get a video recorder and show the bike doing 85 on the speedo, its a bit stupid you saying that my bike "cannot do this" because your not the one riding it you muppit. And my speedo is working perfectly, checked it..And it is carb,intake restricted..

You=idiot

Go find an old BIKE magazine as you can't get the official honda spec's anymore as they don't sell the thing. Be amazed at the fact its top speed is 75 claimed. Be doubly amazed at the fact you know fu_ck all, i don't need to ride your bike, its a production motorcycle, yours isnt special, nor does it do 85mph.

As a reference, heres the specs from http://www.nsr125.com/derestrict.htm

But...of course, yours is a special bike, it doesn't adhere to the same rules as the other couple of thosand that buzz around the road thinking they're fast.

Checked the speedo eh, that it works like yeah, get it calibrated did you?
    Does your mammy tell you you're spechul?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Bikers eh ? :)

kev boy wrote:
    Dont know about that.. Not many, hardly any in fact, of the NSR's are CDI restricted.. Vast majority are basic intake and carb restricted!

None of the UK spec NSRs are restricted... but others (?) are

Lads.

Either stop the argo, OR GET A HORSE!

Be doubly amazed at the fact you know fu_ck all, i don't need to ride your bike, its a production motorcycle, yours isnt special, nor does it do 85mph.

Yes it does, and has done many times! Flat straight dualer tucked in ive hit 85mph on the speedo!! Dont care whatsoever if you dont believe me bugs!!

In fact i got to around 82-83 on the speedo with a friend on the back during the summer!!

Maby my NSR is special!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

JohnCleary wrote:
    Lads.

Either stop the argo, OR GET A HORSE!

would he do 85MPH ?:D

Ratchet wrote:
    would he do 85MPH ?:D

Only if you tweak his nipples!

• Advertisement

I give up, the internet has once again allowed someone to talk rubbish without the fear of a slap in the head. Ahh well, least i don't own an nsr125 i suppose, i can be happy about that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

There's only one way to settle this, Pistols at dawn!

Unfortunatly i can't play cos I'm a bit restricted at the mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

( sorry that was just terrible )

Advertisement