Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bellamy vs Souness

• 23-01-2005 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

So,Bellamy appareantly pretended to be injured,and then told souness he wasn't actually injured?
    This is why he didnt play today,and its because of Bellamy having a problem playing on the right.....Forgive me if im wrong,this is hear'say from sky sports news.....

Opinions/sidetaking,anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

But the thing is,if he is acting like he is gods gift,would anybody buy him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

No matter what a player does someone will always buy them.
    Van hinkydink went on strike at 2 clubs yet still played for 3 more.

Bellamy is gone but more than likley to a bottom club.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

He will be gone alright in the summer IF newcastle get a new striker to replace shearer.
    Might do an exchange Yakubu and Faye for Bellamy + cash or Mark Hughes might come in for him if he can get the money.

I'm a newcastle supporter and i know Bellamy is a pain in the a** but he has a much better goal scoring record than Ameobi, so why shouldn't he want to play up front?
    I don't understand why newcastle don't just play Milner on the right!

I don't think that Souness is the anwser for the team, he has to get some kind of team spirit going soon or newcastle will never go anywhere. We will be very lucky to qualify for europe this season based on the current run of form!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I have some sympathy for Bellamy. Souness wants him to play on the right but he is uncomfortable in that position. Bellamy says he hear a rumour that Newcastle were trying to bring in another striker. He was unhappy with that as he is being played out of position and they are trying to buy someone for the position he wants. He walked off the training pitch on Thursday claiming he was injured. He had a meeting with Souness and the chairman and on Thursday evening and was assured the rumours were false. He says he was happy with the meeting an assumed everything had been sorted. Bellamy trained normally with the squad on Friday and expected to play today. Souness had other ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

“There was an incident on Friday which led to me having to have a meeting between the chairman, the player and myself, and that will remain private,” Souness told Sky Sports.

“Craig Bellamy is not happy in the position we are asking him to play sometimes, and he’s gone about showing his displeasure in totally the wrong way. That’s why he was not involved today.

“Hew declared himself injured on Friday and walked off; then he was fit on Saturday. We’re trying to create a team spirit at Newcastle, and I’m only interested in having players at the club who give everything for the cause.

“Sometimes you have have to play in a position that you may feel is not your best – our supporters don’t want to hear the petulance of a player saying he only wants to play in a certain position.

“They want to see 11 players out there working their socks off for the cause. Unfortunately we’re faced with the situation where that’s not the case.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Aye Souness wont take any non sense....bellamy is a good player, too good for pompey imo.. the blackburn link is a good shout with hughes in charge dunno bout wages etc tho.....maybe a deal including stead or emerton??

anyhow cant see souness leaving newcastle anytime soon despite current results/league position..i reckon bellamy will be gone in the near future....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Ive no time for moaners!
    He is meant to be a pro so he should play where he is asked to play he is being payed enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

:(:(:( Bellamy has been our best player(when not fighting with Souness) this season , and I would be incrediably sad to see him go :( .

Craig Bellamy's main problem is he does things without thinking , this often leads to trouble , and the press especially go mental over his mistakes .

When Shearer was injured he really showed how good he is as a striker , linking up with Kluivert perticularry well .If it wasn't for Bramble the side might have picked up a lot more points furing that period .

I really don't want him to leave , and I think he should be given another run upfront , to prove to everyone what he can do up there .

johnor wrote:
    anyhow cant see souness leaving newcastle anytime soon despite current results/league position..i reckon bellamy will be gone in the near future....

I wouldn't be so sure. I'm a firm believer that a team should play to their strength and newcastle are not doing that . Souness is trying to play the chelsea system but doesn not have the players to do so. Chelsea have Robben and Duff two outstanding wingers which enables them to deploy the tactics they do with great success Souness equivalent is to play Bellamy out of position .

Thats a risky strategy, Newcastle have been dreadful anytime I have seen them this season and if that form continues it won't be long until tha fans are on his case and rightly so. I would not be surprised if he were shown the door in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Bellamy has just done an interview on Sky Sports news. Absolutely incredible! Bellamy has claimed that he was never injured and that Souness has went behind his back and deliberately not played him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He'll be gone before the transfer window closes.

Maybe Souness has engineered this new argument in an attempt to get Bellamy to hand in a transfer request?

He is a good player, but has to accept that he should play where the manager tells him to.

Imagine a player doing this at Old Trafford, he'd be out on his ear in no time.

It just seems to be a clash of personalities, and in these situations, it is never the manager that suffers in the short term. (Keane -v- McCarthy is the best example I can think of now)

Bellamy has just done an interview on Sky Sports news. Absolutely incredible! Bellamy has claimed that he was never injured and that Souness has went behind his back and deliberately not played him.
    Its interviews like that that have me watching Sky Sports news 9-5 whenever I'm at home. :)
    He is a good player, but has to accept that he should play where the manager tells him to.
    He says he would play anywhere for Newcastle. Watch the interview if you get a chance.

Freddy Sheppard said that Bellamy admitted to him and Souness that he told his teammates on Friday morning that he was going to feign injury. Bellamy never mentioned this in his interview and had some cheek to do the interview and call Souness a lier after that.

seansouth wrote:
    Imagine a player doing this at Old Trafford, he'd be out on his ear in no time.
    Beckham did miss training while minding his baby or something silly but i guess thats not feigning injury. he missed a game against arsenal for his actions tho, if i recall right..might be wrong tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Absolute classic from Bellamy this morning (or at least I heard it on the radio this morning)

“He (the manager) went behind my back right in front of my face!”

Now who says footballers aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed?!?! :D

BaZmO* wrote:
    Absolute classic from Bellamy this morning (or at least I heard it on the radio this morning)

“He (the manager) went behind my back right in front of my face!”

Now who says footballers aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed?!?! :D
    Yeah, he said that in the Sky interview. :D

Well after hearing Bellamy, Sheppards and Souness's comments over the last 2 days, Bellamy is definitely in the wrong and from an article I read in the Evening Heduld he sounds like a complete arsehole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Two idiots... One winner: Souness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Two idiots . . . One winner : Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Bellamy to Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

With FSP's (hopefully not too bad) injury last night this would seem like a very viable option. Not sure we've any money though...

fairly big rumours over bellamy going to liverpool in around the £6 million mark and we need another striker for the CL so . . .

mayordenis wrote:
    Two idiots . . . One winner : Liverpool

Oh the joy of being able to buy and buy and buy, and to replace injured players with proven internationals.

If it happens, I hope he gets injured.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    If it happens, I hope he gets injured.
    Are we allowed to hope players get injured on this forum? tut tut.

I think 6mil is too much to pay for him - he's injury prone (sounds ideal) and currently looking unlikely to play for Newcastle again. Guess we've only a short time til the window closes so we'll know pretty soon...

I dont think they should buy him, dont think they need him....Moirentes just bought in, Baros fit, Mellor fit. Granted Pongolle and Cisse are both injured but what happens when they become fit. liverpool wont be playing enough games to play all these players and keep them happy. Assuming Benetiz doesnt play 3 up front.

Ah I was only kidding.

Although I have to say I dont have a great deal of respect for people like Craig Bellamy, I dont really wish injuries on anyone. Liverpool would be doing a good piece of business to sign him for £6m, as long as they could keep him happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bellamy's an odious little ****ehawk and represents everything wrong with modern footballers. He acts with no respect for his team or supporters because he knows that that Newcastle can't afford to just dump him in the reserves and would rather sell him. Sadly there will be no shortage of takers, I just hope Liverpool aren't one of the interested parties.

for whoever it was who asked about what we do when everyone is fit, the answer is simple we play our strongest 11, would you honestly rather have mellor in the team than bellamy?? get real

• Advertisement

Here's the article I read in the Herald, taken from the Independant.co.uk:

25 January 2005

All footballers have egos but those of centre-forwards are sharper and more fragile than any others. Even when he was winning the European Golden Boot at Sunderland, Kevin Phillips's pre-match routine consisted of watching videos of himself scoring, just to convince himself he still possessed that instinctive touch.

Craig Bellamy has never seemed constrained by such bouts of self-doubt. Once, as his partnership with Alan Shearer began to transform Newcastle from mid-table irrelevancy to members of the Champions' League, he was told by a television interviewer that crowds at St James' Park loved goalscorers and if he kept this up he could become a hero on Tyneside. "But I am a hero already," came the instant reply.

Sunday afternoon at Highbury saw the Welsh striker in the decidedly unheroic role of spectator, muffled against the January chill, having declared himself unfit after being told he was playing on the right wing before changing his mind on the eve of the match. This impressed his manager, Graeme Souness, not at all.

If Bellamy, who, to the astonishment of his team-mates, got off the team bus at Highbury to give a television interview attacking his manager after being told that Souness had criticised him publicly, expected the waters to be smoothed over yesterday, he was mistaken. The Newcastle chairman, Freddy Shepherd, may have issued a statement denying he would be put on the transfer list but, as Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole discovered at Blackburn, Souness does not do conciliation.

The Newcastle manager denounced Bellamy, effectively calling him a liar and making it unlikely he could ever play happily for the club again. He said: "After Friday's press conference at St James' Park, I arrived at the training ground to find Craig Bellamy in the dressing-room with his boots off.

"He told me he felt his hamstring was a bit tight but my first-team coach, Dean Saunders, informed me that Bellamy had told other players in the dressing-room he was going to feign an injury. I took him to see the chairman on Friday afternoon at St James' Park and he admitted to both of us that this was true. I asked him in front of the chairman if he had feigned an injury. He said 'yes'.

"I told Bellamy that he had to apologise to the rest of the players but then I found out later he had not done so. That was on Friday teatime and that's when I decided he wasn't going to be in my team at Arsenal. If he had apologised, he would have been."

Souness stated that this was not the first time he had questioned Bellamy's desire to play for Newcastle. Last month he pulled out of a match with Liverpool after allegedly straining a back muscle warming up at Anfield yet was training the following day. This month Bellamy failed to turn up for training the day before a game against Southampton, claiming he was affected by a stomach bug but still played. Souness also accused him of attempting to unsettle his two new signings, Jean-Alain Boumsong and Celestine Babayaro.

"Bellamy said in front of Babayaro and Boumsong that this was a rubbish club with a rubbish manager," Souness said. "I asked him what all this was about and he told me he was upset at the speculation he was going to be sold or used as a makeweight in a transfer. I told him on Friday that I wanted him here but on my terms and those terms are that everyone is pulling together and not acting in a confrontational manner or sniping away all the time."

This is Souness's third run-in with Bellamy, who insulted his manager after being substituted at Charlton, which was then followed by a reported stand-up fight between the two men at the club's training ground. If Souness was brought in to discipline Newcastle, he appears to be failing off the pitch as well as on it. On his arrival, he was told the club was tired of washing its filthy linen in public; but this morning the soiled sheets seem to stretch the length of Hadrian's Wall.

It should not be forgotten that there were sound tactical reasons for Souness wanting to play Bellamy out of position at Highbury. As Arsène Wenger has noted with a certain weariness, most sides now play five across the middle and a lone striker to stifle his Arsenal side and this kind of containing operation must have represented Souness's best chance of success. Last month, when Arsenal were fortunate to grind out a 1-0 victory at St James' Park, Newcastle employed precisely that formation with Bellamy deployed on the right, a position he has regularly occupied for Wales.

Bellamy said yesterday he did not want to endure the same treatment meted out to Kieron Dyer, who was howled down when appearing for England at St James' Park a few days after telling Sir Bobby Robson he did not want to play on the right wing in the opening fixture of the season at Middlesbrough. After Souness's comments, it is unlikely the Gallowgate End will ever rise to him again.

If Shepherd holds the line for the last few days of the transfer window, then Bellamy, like Dyer, will exist in a kind of uneasy limbo with his manager until the summer. However, as Robbie Savage, another turbulent Welshman, has demonstrated, if a player is determined to leave there is little his club can do but exact the highest price for his services. "I know Graeme Souness is the manager and he cannot go, so it's possible they want to get rid of me and I'm on my way out," Bellamy said yesterday.

And yet amid all the furore, there must be a shard of sympathy for the boy from an impoverished Cardiff council estate, who has felt he has to fight for every scrap of recognition. The first Newcastle player to demand to feature in every match was not Bellamy or Dyer but Alan Shearer, who on the club's pre-season tour of Thailand greeted the arrival of Patrick Kluivert with an announcement he would not be part of any striker rotation. Yesterday, Shearer, who in Geordie eyes is an icon of selflessness, publicly threatened that players who did not fit in with Souness's policies would be sold.

When Robson, after paying Coventry £6m for his services, paired Bellamy with Shearer, Newcastle won 17 of the first 25 matches the two men played together, with the former's pace creating space in the penalty area that the Newcastle captain gorged himself on. Without that combination, it is debatable whether Champions' League football would have returned to Tyneside.

Had Shepherd not disregarded Robson and signed Kluivert, another ego, edgy, monumental and fragile, for a salary of some £3.5m a year there is no reason to suppose matters would have come to such a head so quickly. As Shearer is effectively undroppable, Bellamy found himself discarded too frequently for Kluivert.

The Amsterdammer would not understand the cricketing phrase, "flat-track bully" but that is what he has proved. Of his eight goals for Newcastle, half have come against the Arab-Israeli part-timers of Hapoel Bnei Sakhnin; of the rest, two were against Crystal Palace and West Bromwich Albion, while another against Liverpool was patently offside. In other dressing-rooms, they would have shook their heads and said nothing - but Craig Douglas Bellamy, the steelworker's son from the unpolished end of Cardiff, has never been one for suffering in silence.

I don't know how anyone would want this player in their team if he was given to them for free. To make matters worse his most recent comments are that he's out of Newcaslte, he won't apoligise because he did nothing wrong.

Update. Sheppard:
    "there has not been any major club express any interest in the player whatsoever"

One club has put a loan bid in, thats about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

^ somebody call the sig police

Only one enquiry so far = Stoke

I hope to god he doesnt go to Liverpool..

The Solution to Newcastle's problems: get rid of Sheperd ,Souness and Bramble , and have Bellamy brainwashed to not cause any more trouble and do his best for the club .

Sadly none of these will come through .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Look at it from Bellamys point of view. When he played up front for Newcastle this season he has generally scored or played brilliantly, he's easily been their best striker. He is then asked to play on the right wing, despite being their best striker, and why? Because Dyer threw a strop and refused to play in that position for Robson, had all his demands pandered to and is now playing central mid field, the position he demanded to play in (despite being nowhere near as good in central mid field as Bellamy is up front). Bellamy plays right wing without moaning then starts hearing rumours that Newcastle are after strikers, I'd throw a fit if I was him too. Not only that but apparently he and Souness plain don't get on and Souness has, I've heard, grabbed him and thrown him to the ground around two weeks ago in training (Not suprising, for Souness). Souness has a track record for alienating players and I think he's exaggerating the situation to try and make an example out of Bellamy who had every right to complain about the way he was being treated.

Plus, Bellamys a good striker and Souness is an inept manager. I know which one I'd rather lose if I was a Newcastle fan, though you can't have players running the show I suppose.

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:

Plus, Bellamys a good striker and Souness is an inept manager. I know which one I'd rather lose if I was a Newcastle fan, though you can't have players running the show I suppose.

I fully agree with your whole post, Souness will ruin Newcastle, he has had trouble with players at every club he managed but after the shabby way they treated Bobby Robson I can't help feel they deserve Souness.

OK, he has a right to be frustrated at being played on the right if he's good enough to play up front but this is about the 5th incident with Bellamy at Newcastle and he still fails to realise that what he is doing is wrong.

I can't believe after hearing the truth how much of his interview was a lie and how he thought he was going to get away with it. He said something along the lines of:
    "Why would I feign injury when we're going to Highbury? I've been played out of position around 20 times this season and said nothing, why would I do so when we're playing against the best players in the world?"

He really said it like he was lying to get out of a jail sentence. He also called Souness a lier for saying he feigned injury. He actually doesn't seem to cop on that Freddy Shephard and Souness were going to hear about his interview. Shepherd must have been watching it live as he rang up Sky about 5 minutes later to tell the actual truth. I honestly don't think Bellamy is the full shilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Who's to say Souness and Shephard are telling the whole truth? I wouldn't trust a bloody word that comes from Shephards mouth, how he got his job back at Newcastle defies logic for me, and well Sounesses track record with man management speaks for itself.

Bellamy is obviously no angel and has a record of being a bit of an idiot in the past alright but I have alot of sympathy for him in this situation, and I would have been very frustrated if I was him too.

Slash/Ed, read the article I posted. There is just no way Souness, Shephard and Dean Saunders are lying.

Whatever about Souness' track record, he seems to be getting a lot more patient with his players. A year or two ago and Bellamy would have been out on his ear in seconds.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Slash/Ed, read the article I posted. There is just no way Souness, Shephard and Dean Saunders are lying.

Ah! the "It appeard in the Herald so it must be true." defence. ;)

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    Ah! the "It appeard in the Herald so it must be true." defence. ;)
    Actually, the Independant (UK version). :p

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/newcastle/story.jsp?story=604244

Maybe a sinister character within the Newcastle squad told a lie to Saunders about Bellamy's pulling out of training. Along the lines of "Bellamy told me he is going to pull an injury..." then Saunders unwittingly perpetuated the lie in the direction of Souness. Only question is who would be dastardly enough to start the whole thing off - I'm blaming Kluivert in the absence of any evidence.

Liverpool are recalling Le Tellec from France so I'm guessing that's further cold water on a Bellamy move.

eirebhoy wrote:

THe Independent no less, That makes all The difference my initial sarcasm was obviously misplaced. :pback

I would guess that there is right and wrong on both sides but I do think Souness is happiest when at loggheads with his best players. Cole Yorke and Dunne spring to mind at Blackburn and they are not alone .

p.pete wrote:
    Maybe a sinister character within the Newcastle squad told a lie to Saunders about Bellamy's pulling out of training. Along the lines of "Bellamy told me he is going to pull an injury..." then Saunders unwittingly perpetuated the lie in the direction of Souness. Only question is who would be dastardly enough to start the whole thing off - I'm blaming Kluivert in the absence of any evidence.
    But not only would someone have to tell Saunders that but also Shepherd and Souness would also be lying to the media when they said "I asked him in front of the chairman if he had feigned an injury. He said 'yes'" (Souness) and "Bellamy admitted to Graeme and I that he had told the players that he was going to ‘fake’ an injury in training and walk off. He also agreed at that meeting to apologise to his team mates for his behaviour." (Shepherd). Bellamy would also no doubt have denied he said it but all he said is I've done nothing wrong.

I could only dread the thought of seeing him in a Celtic shirt (him and Hartson are close mates from their time at Coventry and Wales). :(

somehow I think Bellamy would be much better handled by O'Neil than someone like Sour-ness .

Big Ears wrote:
    somehow I think Bellamy would be much better handled by O'Neil than someone like Sour-ness .
    I'd have to agree and given that there is evidence that he can be useful (whoever it was that mentioned himself and Shearer spearheaded Newcastle when getting into the CL) O'Neill is an excellent man-manager for getting the most out of people.

Naturally there'd still be grounds to be nervous and it'd possibly be fitting if he got to a Championship team at best...

How to dismantle a premiership team, by Greaham Souness

1) Take control of a club with a decent if not brilliant squad
    2) Have argument with important player, as a result play someone else
    3) Bring in players from Scottish football
    4) Have stupid argument with best player, refuse to play him ever again and sell him
    5) Repeat process 4 until another premiership club shows interest
    6) Move to intersted club, start process over.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4213271.stm

I'd say point 4 is badly worded The Muppet but otherwise sounds good. Only badly worded because I'd dispute that the players he fights with are always the best players, almost always high profile players and, any Newcastle fans in the house? would you prefer old Bobby back?

Yes , I would , I never thought he should have been sacked in the first place , even if the mind is going a bit . Shepherd should have at least given him to the end of the season .Aswell as trying to get a good manager like Hitzfeld .

Just because Souness may be a gob****e, doesn't mean Bellamy isn't (...worse). :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement