Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a XP120 on an AMD 64

Options
  • 23-01-2005 10:58pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at the instructions for installing the XP120 heatsink on an AMD 64 (here) and they say cover both the cpu and heatsink with thermal paste. Do those instructions make sense to anyone? Surely covering both components would slightly decrease the effectiveness of the cooler?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

You only need to cover them with an incredibly thin layer. I just covered my CPU though, and it was enough. XP-90 and 120 are so smooth you dont need a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

depends on the paste i believe. Arctic Silver 5 only needs a tiny bit in the centre of the heat spreader. I had originally used too much and after re-doing my idle temps dropped 8 degrees.

follow the instructions that came with it and you should be ok. use a credit card to get a thin layer on the cpu.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ends up I couldn't use the XP120. Needs a backplate to fit Gigabyte boards (should have read up on that) plus the DPS on the Gigabyte nForce 4 Ultra board would be in the way. Thinking about picking up a different cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Go for it's smaller brother, the xp90, or the SLK98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

XP90 should do better. Dont think it has compatibality issues like XP-120 has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Is there much temp difference between XP90 and XP120?

Only 2-3C difference afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭SpooN_9k

neokenzo wrote:
    Only 2-3C difference afaik.

just wondering is that running at stock or overclocked and under load or idle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Do you need different paste for an AMD chip than what you would use on a pentium?

nope

"Arctic Silver 5" is one of the best out there if your looking for some

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Thanx SpooN

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i've wondered about this "tiny dab of paste" advice. Does ensuring that the complete surface area of the chip (and HS) not increase heat conductivity?

surely a smaller amount will only connect the surfaces less. hope this makes sense.

I just put a tiny bit of AS5 in the middle of the HS. I didnt even bother to spread it all over the cpu. Temps are great. 28-32C on idle :)

i always put as thin layer as posible on but at the same time ensuring i have the whole surface covered

I actually removed my heat sink and saw that even with the way I applied it, it spread all over the cpu by itself.

Advertisement