Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

No Internet after Hibernate

• 23-01-2005 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

When ever my laptop come back from hibernation my internet seems to stop working. Just get the cannot find server its the same in Opera, FireFox or IE. Email is affected too. A reboot will sort things out.

I connect to the internet through a Linksys wireless router and a Dlink ethernet modem. I can connect to anywhere on my local network after the hibernate - just not to the internet.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Internal controller, or PCMCIA? Does the controller require any special drivers of its own, or do the generic Windows ones work?

I have that difficulty with my machine sometimes too, but I find that removing and reinserting the PCMCIA card works fine, and isn't as drastic as restarting the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Intel Centrino 802.11b built in - using Windows drivers coz the Intel Pro Wireless ones were completely unreliable.

Will try to remember to try an ipconfig /renew next time it happends - see if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

failing that, go into device manager and disable the device and then re-enable it. i've had a similar problem with network cards when the machine would come out of standby the network cards would not wake up and restore the connection but i fixed this by removing the "Allow windows to turn this device off when entering standby mode" option in the device configuration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

This should work. Maybe it's a driver issue.
    Is there any network activity at all, or is it just not getting through your router?

Might be a driver issue - although Im surprised it doesnt affect local network communication - only when it goes past the router - 'outside' the local network.

Kdougy - will try your advice. Might see if I can find a later driver too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

The problem is likely the windows mangement of the card, please change it so that you are using the intel utility, trust me.

Be sure your running the latest one for your card, I think they're about a 14mb download but if you've wireless you've likely broadband.

Anyway, briefly, go
    start/settings/network connections
    right click & select properties on your wireless connection
    wireless networks tab
    de-deselect "allow windows to manage etc etc"
    reboot then install the intel utility, test your standy now

Turns out this wasnt a driver issue. I just noticed that the same thing happens on my new Media center pc that goes into standby when its idle.

Had a burst of inspriation and it turns out the problem is ZoneAlarm. A google seems to confirm that a lot of other people have this issue - now I have to work through them all to see if I can find a resolution. Manually closing and restarting zone alarm works - but thats not a good solution for my media pc. Might have to figure out how to automatically shutdown and restart zone alarm.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

EDIT: Turns out the solution is that the DHCP and DNS servers (my wireless router) needs to be in the trusted zone in ZA - which is obvious in retrospect

Advertisement