Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

wiper problem (and I now need a Limerick mechanic I suppose)

Options
  • 23-01-2005 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

Right. Simple problem (hopefully, I rate "simple" as "cheap")

Windscreen wipers stopped working last Friday night on me way to Galway. Which was a bit of an annoyance as it was raining at the time.

What appears to have happened is that it was a windy night, all of a sudden the wipers (which were on at the time) suddenly decided to take an extra lurch off the edge of the windscreen. So they're not working. I can move them by hand so presumably there's something disconnected somewhere. And when I turn them on I can hear the mechanism moving at the proper speed but obviously nothing's moving on the windscreen in a useful way.

So if possible I'm looking for ideas on what could have happened with a view to having an idea on what this is going to cost me.

And for Limerick heads I'm looking for a local mechanic type who can fix the thing at a reasonable cost (in other words: who knows stuff locally and is generally both good and cheapish?) as I haven't got time to take it homeward but I can find the time to take it somewhere this weekend.

Thanks folks. All competent suggestions welcome as I can find the engine and change the oil but that's about the limit of my ken.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Check out Ballysheedy motors (head out about 2-3 miles from the Ballysheedy roundabout, hang left at Spellacy's pub — just before the golf course — and second gate on your right). Bob & Mike Twomey, two straighter guys you couldn't hope to meet. Don't call on a Saturday morning unless you want to get in line behind every cabbie in town... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thanks peckerhead, sound like a fine recommendation.

Erm, where's the Ballysheedy roundabout then (or where's Ballysheedy) (I know I should know and it does ring a vague bell)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

If you can hear the motor whirring and move both of them freely in unison. Probably the arm between the pair of arm pivots and the motor crank fell off.
    I have seen this happen where the crank end pivot joint is a Ball & Socket. Took little more than a wire coat hange to snag the arm and click it back into place.
    But designs differ.... so some sweat may be needed.
    I'd question a new motor & assembly, if that is the diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

AMurphy wrote:
    If you can hear the motor whirring and move both of them freely in unison.
    Indeed and I can do both.
    Probably the arm between the pair of arm pivots and the motor crank fell off.
    I have seen this happen where the crank end pivot joint is a Ball & Socket. Took little more than a wire coat hange to snag the arm and click it back into place.
    But designs differ.... so some sweat may be needed.
    I'd question a new motor & assembly, if that is the diagnosis.
    Cheers for that. I was hoping it might be something as simple as that (given that I could hear the whirring) so hopefully you're right. Warning taken on being taken for a ride, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Good illustration.
    I think the "Connecting Arm 1" has come off at one end.... or check for that possibility first.
    If the crank gear had stripped (and it happens), it would not be easy to move the wipers and if you did it would usually engage for one regular swipe and off again.
    That happened my Fiat, so I put a "starter bungee" on the arm, just to engage the first tooth... worked that way for about another year.

Advertisement