Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onspeed broadband alternative

Options
  • 24-01-2005 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭

My parents saw an ad for a service called OnSpeed, www.onspeed.com , and asked me to check it out. It's £24.99 a year, and says that it is five times faster than dialup (our current connection) and needs no hardware installation; it is just a piece of software. To me, it seems kinda dodgy. I don't see how something like this could actually exist.

Has anyone heard or know anything about them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

"What impresses us the most about ONSPEED is the high quality of its compression technology."
    All it does is compresses the data, and this will only speed up traffic like web traffic. Downloading those MP3's will still be 56k speed.

Avoid it like the plague, thats my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I know someone who has this and it's alright for the price. Like he said, it only compresses the data, so data that's already compressed (such as jpegs, mp3s etc..) won't be downloaded any faster. But it does definitely speed up web browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms, as this isn't anything related to broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

Have it a week now and its great very fast browsing

no use for downloads same speed

Advertisement