Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home audio help

• 24-01-2005 12:12am
    Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭

Hi Everybody,

Moving into my new house in a month or so and i am looking at pipping audio around the house with control panels in the wall, anybody got advise on wired or wireless solutions, i am thinking about getting Cat5 around the house

Any help would be great
    TCP/IP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

CAT5 is the best way to go, and also a wise investment. Get a switch, and put at least one socket in each room. I have this setup at home and it works far better than wireless in terms of reliability (although I also have a wireless access point for my laptop for printing and Internet access). You should plan well around how you want to use your home network, what audio quality you require and what sources you intend to use - CDs, Internet radio, satellite radio, MP3s, etc.

About the wall panels, you may want to consider handheld devices with wifi cards to control the media remotely. Otherwise touch screens panels can be the way forward, but this can be a pretty expensive solution.

Yamaha has a solution also. It includes a dedicated audio server (MCX-1000) and clients - MCX-C15 (up to 8 if I am not mistaken). You can get information
    here

If you want to discuss other ideas let me know. I have a few home technology solution projects you may be interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Hi TCP/IP, I forgot to mention Sonos, a multi-room audio system using a combination of wired and wireless transmission with a funky remote control system. Check it out at www.sonos.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

TCP/IP wrote:
    Hi Everybody,

Moving into my new house in a month or so and i am looking at pipping audio around the house with control panels in the wall, anybody got advise on wired or wireless solutions, i am thinking about getting Cat5 around the house

Any help would be great
    TCP/IP

If I were you I'd just pick up one of these (or, now that I think of it, if portability isn't that important, one of these would suffice) and a few of these. And hey presto, a wireless audio solution in minutes that's fully iPod compatible (and, if my predictions hold up, should be controllable by a 5G iPod in a few months). Of course, I'm not you, so if you're looking to build up an integrated system (capable of more than just music), I'd start by wiring up the house with at least one CAT5 (or CAT6 if necessary) outlet in each room. There are a huge number of different audio networking solutions to go with from there, but I definitely agree with Zynks that a wireless remote is both cheaper and much more practical than wall panels.

Advertisement