Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy with the number of immigrants in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Teneka wrote:
    So were the men of the 1916 era and before that racist?

I'd love to know how you managed to extract a question like that from my comment:
    I'd like to think that those patriots who gave their lives for Irish independance would turn in their grave if they witnessed your lack of tolerance and naked racist rhetoric.

Anyway, lets not forget the role played by the New York-born son of a Spanish-born father and an immigrant Irish mother (play particular attention to the "I" word in that URL) in our independance movement, nor let us forget the part played in the development of the Irish labour movement during those tumultuous years by the Liverpool-born son of Irish immigrant parents (there's that "I" word again...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Teneka

I'd like to think that those patriots who gave their lives for Irish independance

Thats where I got it from.

Besides, you never answered my question.

Teneka wrote:
    But we opposed the British race from being in our country. Please explain.

I don't need to explain anything. You need to do some a bit of research on the Irish struggle for independance, cos you're way off the mark if you think it was an ethnic conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Teneka wrote:

What's with the "we", did you take part in the rising?

And it wasn't opposition to the "British Race" being in the country it was opposition to being ruled by a foreign nation - pretty sure there was no masterplan to exterminate all British.
    "We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland, and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies, to be sovereign and indefeasible."
    I could be wrong though - so here's the link to the proclamation, just in case I missed that part
    http://www.iol.ie/~dluby/proclaim.htm

]I'd like to think that those patriots who gave their lives for Irish independance
    Teneka wrote:
    Thats where I got it from.

You missed a bit.
    ...would turn in their grave if they witnessed your lack of tolerance and naked racist rhetoric.

Now show me where it became necessary to ask if I thought the men of 1916 were racist? Read the thread please, you're missing whole chunks of the debate.
    Teneka wrote:
    Besides, you never answered my question.

This question?
    Teneka wrote:
    So were the men of the 1916 era and before that racist?

Yes I did.
    Not at all. Their numbers included...<snip>

Read the thread please, you're missing whole chunks of the debate. I'll make it easier for your poor addled mind, that last quote was in [url=http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2319004&postcount=269[/url]this post[/url]

• Advertisement

Teneka wrote:

And its comments like that which make me think
    jbkenn wrote:
    The accepted purpose of education is to broaden the mind, I suspect it is wasted on you

isn't that wide of the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Teneka wrote:
    Quote me saying that, otherwise retract that statement. You're implying something there.
    I never said it was a quote from you, just giving you some advise.
    On the likes of me? For all you know I could be from England or anywhere, so what you are saying? Is it not the same as me saying that money is wasted on the foreigners? Oh no, wait a minute, thats not politically correct.

I dont care where you are from, it is obvious education is wasted on you, racism is usually born out of ignorance, so whats your excuse?

jbkenn

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

One thing (among many) this thread is telling me: logic needs to become a compulsory 1st-year course in all Irish colleges.
    Teneka wrote:
    Diversity is having detrimental affects on our nation.
    In case it's not obvious by now, you don't get any points for just saying something like that: you have to demonstrate it. You have to provide evidence, preferably backed up with solid references, from which you can logically draw inferences.
    Teneka wrote:
    There's a current surge to increase the amount of Irish speakers throughout Ireland. Yet, these same people want a diverse culture. Hypocrisy.
    Non sequitur. (My phrase of the week.) You can't just throw two statements together as if one somehow supports the other: you have to demonstrate the link. How, exactly, is a diverse culture incompatible with increasing the number of Irish speakers?
    Teneka wrote:
    How can we keep certain things Irish if the nation wants to bring in as many foreigners as possible? Explain that.
    And again. How does bringing in foreigners make anything less Irish? If an Asian family moves in next door, do I suddenly become less Irish? Am I somehow prevented from learning Irish?
    Teneka wrote:
    I don't feel the need to allow them in to our country.
    No-one's asking you to allow them in. What are you, a border guard?
    Teneka wrote:
    The wages they earn in are way in excess of the normal wage in their home country.
    I could move to another country and earn higher wages than here. Should I be prevented from entering?
    Teneka wrote:
    Money earned here is sent home via Western Union and the like. I've seen this happen.
    Money I earn here is frequently sent abroad via Amazon.co.uk et al. Should I be deported?
    Teneka wrote:
    Foreign students will get their degree here, and go home with it. We won't receive the so called long term benefits of this.
    We're receiving the short-term benefits of their education fees. And if they're going to go home anyway, what's your problem with letting them in?
    Teneka wrote:
    It was a shock in college today when I saw one of the names of the players on the college team.
    Why was it a shock? Were you surprised that this player was good enough to play on the team? Surprised that the college allows foreigners to play sports? Suprised at the number of letters in the name? What?
    Teneka wrote:
    And believe me, I wasn't the only one laughing at this.
    Hang on, were you shocked or amused? What was so funny?
    Teneka wrote:
    Imagine Michael Collins and co seeing such a sight? You are the very people that would have no problem seeing this.
    I'm genuinely puzzled as to what your problem was. That's not a pinko liberal sentiment: you didn't tell us what exactly it was that shocked and/or amused you.
    Teneka wrote:
    Ireland didn't fight for freedom all these years so you liberals could just give it away.
    Whoah. We're giving away our freedom now? Who's taking it? What do they plan to do with it?
    Teneka wrote:
    Naturally, it is cheaper to run a society that is not ridden with multicultaralism. The asylum system costs the state roughly €350m a year.
    That's another non sequitur. Multiculturalism != asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Teneka wrote:
    So how can you possibly state that most people wash their hands? :confused: See what you've done now? Good.

Pubs serve alcohol, people tend to forget things while consuming some drink, and washing their hands isn't high on the priority list let me tell you.

Oh, and what makes you think that just the top pubs and clubs have people doing this sort of job? I've been to many pubs and venues that aren't the most repsected in town.

Iand there is the question, how do you know that bathroom attenants from other races do not wash their own hands regularly? for all you know they might wash their own hands after dealing with every customer.
    Teneka wrote:
    I for one disagree. Diversity is having detrimental affects on our nation. There's a current surge to increase the amount of Irish speakers throughout Ireland. Yet, these same people want a diverse culture. Hypocrisy. How can we keep certain things Irish if the nation wants to bring in as many foreigners as possible? Explain that.

The Irish language was doomed to failure long before we started receiving imigrants of any kind. oh on a side note, I personally know a black person who is a better gaeilgor than I am.
    I don't feel the need to allow them in to our country. The wages they earn in are way in excess of the normal wage in their home country.

That is our own fault for being greedy isnt it. it wasnt so long ago when people from this country went to the likes of america britain europe austrailia and japan because "the streets were paved with gold." you would be surprised at the size of the irish community in the city of Kobe in Japan.

Oh and as for wanting to make foreigners assimilate into our culture. should we get all these irish bars throughout the world to shut down as they fly in the face of their host countries.
    I've seen this happen. Foreign students will get their degree here, and go home with it. We won't receive the so called long term benefits of this.

yes we will. the money put into our educational system by foreign students helps improve the facilities for Irish and foreign students alike. the pleasant experience of foreign students in this country will bring more foreign students here.
    It was a shock in college today when I saw one of the names of the players on the college team. And believe me, I wasn't the only one laughing at this. Imagine Michael Collins and co seeing such a sight? You are the very people that would have no problem seeing this. Ireland didn't fight for freedom all these years so you liberals could just give it away.

who are we giving our freedom away to? the chinese?

actually now that i think of it, is chinese students getting an education here and taking the knowledge back home a bad thing. it might help hasten the oncoming of democracy in china.
    Naturally, it is cheaper to run a society that is not ridden with multicultaralism. The asylum system costs the state roughly €350m a year.

you have a source.

and while your at it why not find out how much the following costs while your at it.

How much does European social fund third level grants cost

How much does the department of social welfare pay out to the longterm unemployed

How much does it cost to keep these long term unemployed persons in medical cards? yes the irish ones
    Teneka wrote:
    An immigrant is a person who leaves one country to live in another.

Yes an imigrant is a person who moves from one country to another...AND PLANS TO STAY THERE

A refugee however is a person who is levt with no alternative tbut to leave their homeland because they or their family are in danger and intend to return to their homeland whenever whatever danger that threatens them has passed.

there was like 2 pages added to the thread when i was composing this message so forgive me if i missed anything

you don't get any points for just saying something like that:

Read what I said earlier, I backed it up. While your side of the arguement hasn't backed up the point of having a president from a foreign country and so on.
    How, exactly, is a diverse culture incompatible with increasing the number of Irish speakers?

Hahaha

Sorry, your post just reeks. Read it back, it makes no sense. Lets say we get an influx of foreigners in Kerry and Galway (just taking these 2 strong speaking counties for example). You think that won't damage the language? Fools. In England, many of the signs accomodate the immigrants. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this. Would you have any problems in replacing the Irish signposts with the Chinese language?
    No-one's asking you to allow them in

Once again, I was replying to someone elses post. No ones asking you to allow them in? Is that the best you can come up with? Ehhh, no ones asking you to let them stay etc etc. Well done.
    If an Asian family moves in next door, do I suddenly become less Irish? Am I somehow prevented from learning Irish?

Of course you're prevented from learning Irish. You are outnumbered in your school. Think the foreigners are going to learn Irish? In my former school, the foreigners didn't have to learn Irish. Does that make them less Irish than anyone else? Of course.

I could move to another country and earn higher wages than here. Should I be prevented from entering?

You are forgetting the whole 'sympathy' feeling in this country towards foreigners. Romania, China, Russia, Nigeria...the list is endless, all are countries that are coping well. Yet, people from such countries pass through numerous nations to reach a small island in west europe. Wonder why.
    Why was it a shock?

Because its an example of how liberal this country has become. Simple.
    We're giving away our freedom now?

Check out the Sunday paper this weekend. You'll be interested in some of the readings there. And where is my freedom of speech, when I mention that our immigration policy is a joke I'm suddenly branded a racist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Teneka wrote:
    To be honest, Pete's questions are a joke. Plus I've answered them when other people have asked.

Ahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Pathetic.

They weren't even my questions.

Absolutely pathetic. You could at least have tried.

GO TEAM LEAGUE OF IRISH PATRIOTS!

And where is my freedom of speech, when I mention that our immigration policy is a joke I'm suddenly branded a racist?

Actually I'd like to take the credit for "branding you a racist" after your 4th post, so it's hardly "suddenly" now, is it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

It really really motivates me to help to get boards back up and running so that we can see people who can't (or won't) string an argument together argue against all the harm being done by all those funny looking people they see wandering around, not to mention analogies about eggcups being passed off as logic.

Check out the Sunday paper this weekend. You'll be interested in some of the readings there. And where is my freedom of speech, when I mention that our immigration policy is a joke I'm suddenly branded a racist?

what sunday paper you can't even give the name of the bloody paper you are referring to. what does it say, please back up something at least if your not going to answer questions.
    Of course you're prevented from learning Irish. You are outnumbered in your school. Think the foreigners are going to learn Irish? In my former school, the foreigners didn't have to learn Irish. Does that make them less Irish than anyone else? Of course.

In my school the blind people didnt have to do art, and the wheelchair bound people didnt have to play soccer, what do you suggest we do with these people.

Teneka wrote:
    An immigrant is a person who leaves one country to live in another.

Not that difficult for a multicultural loving person such as yourself?

Actually, that would be an emigrant.

ecksor wrote:
    It really really motivates me to help to get boards back up and running so that we can see people who can't (or won't) string an argument together argue against all the harm being done by all those funny looking people they see wandering around, not to mention analogies about eggcups being passed off as logic.

think of the entertainmaent value it gives the rest of us

Screw white supremacy - I for one am feeling pretty damn superior right about now.

Whats funny/scary is your desire to increase the number of foreigners residing in Ireland. If you love their culture so much, why don't you move to their country etc? Why don't thousands of Irish move to China each year?

Screw white supremacy - I for one am feeling pretty damn superior right about now

Oh yeah? Fair play to you. Your ancestors would be well proud.

Teneka wrote:
    Whats funny/scary is your desire to increase the number of foreigners residing in Ireland. If you love their culture so much, why don't you move to their country etc? Why don't thousands of Irish move to China each year?

but if your point of view is so right, wouldnt they send me back here for not being chinese?.

my ansestors were romany in origan. the nazis just loved them you know.

oh and despite my distant foreign origins, if you knew me you would be shocked at the amount of things my family have done to progress and promote traditional irish music and the irish culture. so take your bigotry back to stormfront where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Teneka I find this thread really funny, you obviously are studying SF's policy of ducking difficult questions and avoiding the hard ones altogether.

• Advertisement

so take your bigotry back to stormfront where it came from.

Excellent. Someone had to use that word, didn't they?

"a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own"

:D

You're a legend, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Teneka wrote:
    Whats funny/scary is your desire to increase the number of foreigners residing in Ireland.

There's nothing wrong with that, these foreigners are powering your economy. And please don't tell me how some poor Chinese immigrant stole your job. Most of them work for crap wages and if an Irish person wanted that ****ty job they would certainly get it first. Unfortunatlely nobody seems to be aspiring towards making sandwiches in Centra or cleaning toilets in pubs.
    Teneka wrote:
    If you love their culture so much, why don't you move to their country etc?
    Thousands of Irish people go abroad to these lovely countries and enjoy everything they have to offer. It's called tourism, but you probably never heard of it so I won't bore you with the details.
    Teneka wrote:
    Why don't thousands of Irish move to China each year?
    Simply because China is poor, and they have it better here.
    Use your brain, don't you think you need a pretty good reason to leave your country? Your family? Your friends? Everything you know and hold dear?
    Not to mention the need to learn an extremely difficult language.
    Thousands of Irish move to other countries, which offer them something better, the same way some Chinese end up coming here.
    Except the Irish are more likely to pick the States, UK, Australia or New Zealand, being lazy and not wanting to learn a foreign language. A luxury most of these people can't afford.
    I'm sure they'll end up being pretty disillusioned about the whole thing when they realise that they're working for peanuts, that the better live involves cleaning toilets and eating the cheapest food possible, sharing an apartment between 8 people and not being able to afford anything.
    How well do you think you can live in Ireland off the minimum wage?
    If you don't know, try watching Des Bishop.

There are of course the other kind of immigrants. The highly skilled workers which were brought in because there were no Irish people who could do the job. This isn't patronising, every country has that problem, but not every country can afford to give these people a tempting offer that will get them over. States have been doing that for years. They're on high wages and paying high taxes. Most of them will go back to their own countries eventually, after making a little bit of money for themselves and a whole lot more for the Irish government. And that's a good thing for all of you.

What's your reason for not liking immigrants? Would you be better off without them?

If they weren't there, would you get on with just one person behind the counter in Centra during lunch time, when there's 50 people in the queue and it will take an hour to get served?

Or would you be better off if you walk into the toilets in a Pub which haven't been cleaned in months?

Or do you like the immigrants doing all this, but you just don't like seeing them around and living next to them? Because this is what makes you racist.

Teneka wrote:

You're a legend, really.
    http://www.stormfront.org/forum/search.php?do=finduser&userid=56110

so that's not you then? just a happy coincidence, is it?

Oh and to answer your question in your last SF post regarding "what are the ICP currently doing?" i'm happy to report that all the latest news on the Insane Clown Posse is available on their site here.

Teneka wrote:

You're a legend, really.

how is defending the rights of other people considered bigotry enlighten me please.

Teneka wrote:

You mean my distant ethiopian ancestor Lucy? I'm sure she'd just be only delirah.

And please don't tell me how some poor Chinese immigrant stole your job. Most of them work for crap wages and if an Irish person wanted that ****ty job they would certainly get it first.

No I won't tell you. Making assumptions like your friends. An Irish person wanted that job? Man, if an employer was to choose between a foreigner or an Irish person is there any bias to employ the foreigner even if their skills are lower? Of course! Look at America for example!

sharing an apartment between 8 people and not being able to afford anything.

My friend pays 30 Euro a week :) Nice try though.

Or would you be better off if you walk into the toilets in a Pub which haven't been cleaned in months?

Taking a dump is the cleanest of things, wouldn't bother me in the slightest. A pub off Grafton St...their toilets haven't been cleaned in ages, doesn't stop me from taking a slash there.
    but you just don't like seeing them around and living next to them?

I sit beside one in class! Maybe you should read the thread before making assumptions.
    What's your reason for not liking immigrants?

Have you ever looked in to Darwin's theory of Natural Selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Teneka wrote:
    Believe me, I can. I have a Chinese friend in my class, it wouldn't be that hard.

I for one disagree. Diversity is having detrimental affects on our nation. There's a current surge to increase the amount of Irish speakers throughout Ireland. Yet, these same people want a diverse culture. Hypocrisy. How can we keep certain things Irish if the nation wants to bring in as many foreigners as possible? Explain that.

Dont see how immigrants stop irish children learning about their own culture? But i can see how watching american sitcoms and blockbusters, japanese cartoons, playing international computer games and so on could slightly distract them from picking up a book and reading about irish culture. That is a problem the influx of immigrants has little effect on. Young irish people were turning away from the irish language and other irish traditions as early as the late 1970s and 80s (prob even earlier!) I doubt many immigrants came to ireland then seeing as we were as much of a developing country as the others/

In fact the solution is to have parents teach these children a little of our own culture. Or better do what UN worker Conor lyons did, as a hobbie after working thought Irish out in Kosovo. Take that you dirty foriegners learn OUR culture? (does that make you happy?)

I must ask though how much of our culture do you know yourself?

An Irish person wanted that job? Man, if an employer was to choose between a foreigner or an Irish person is there any bias to employ the foreigner even if their skills are lower? Of course!

yeah if you want your company to go down the tubes
    Look at America for example!

like i said yeah if you want your company to go down the tubes. America is not doing too well in the economy department now is it.

[quoteBlitzKreig]Young irish people were turning away from the irish language and other irish traditions as early as the late 1970s and 80s (prob even earlier!)[/quote]

indeed earlier. as far back as the 1800s when ireland was suffereing from poverty and famine Irish childrenh were encouraged to learn english by their parents so they could emigrate to america.

oh and your forgot to mention that America is a land of imagrants , been that way since 1492

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Teneka wrote:

Quote:
    What's your reason for not liking immigrants?

Have you ever looked in to Darwin's theory of Natural Selection?

So now they are inferior to irish people?

And why is that?

• Advertisement

Yes, so if it was hard to teach Irish traditions etc back then with a true Irish population, imagine how difficult it will be to do so now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement