Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy with the number of immigrants in Ireland?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Teneka

And of course, you wouldn't be biased in any way now, would you...?

Eh, what? :D I can easily say the same to your arguements.
    Also I'm involved in a school that currently has over 40% of pupils for whom "english is not their first language"

40% of foreign students? Or are you including some Irish speaking students in that as well?
    Given your constant interchanging of the terms immigrant and asylum seeker, I doubt you have the ability to tell your ar*e from your elbow.
    What are you talking about here? Immigration, or asylum?

Em, I said foreigners. Surely you can grasp that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Teneka wrote:
    40% of foreign students? Or are you including some Irish speaking students in that as well?

See that's why I put "foreign" in my post - just to clarify - no all of these kids were born in , or have parents who come from non-english speaking countries.
    We have 25 languages spoken by our pupils and they come from 27 countries.

Is that clear enough?

Also you never answered my question, does that fact that my sister and niece didn't study Irish, make them less Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Teneka wrote:

Em, I said foreigners. Surely you can grasp that much.

You also said:
    Teneka wrote:
    Yet, people from such countries pass through numerous nations to reach a small island in west europe. Wonder why.

Explain the significance of this remark. In my opinion, you're still confusing asylum and immigration. Why should the number of nations between an immigrants homeland and Ireland matter, unless you're trying to argue that asylum seekers should claim asylum from one of the many countries they pass through on their journey to this country.

If a Chinese national decides they want to move to Ireland for educational purposes, what does it matter how many countries there are between China and Ireland?

Any chance you'll address my other points? There's a good lad...

In the continuing absence of any logical argument or debate from Teneka:

The Department of Education and Science allows students in Ireland to apply to be excused from studying Irish in post-primary school.

These are the categories of student who may apply to be exempted from the study of Irish:
    • Students whose primary education up to 11 years of age was received in Northern Ireland or outside Ireland.
    • Students who were enrolled in a primary or post-primary school and who are now enrolling again after having been abroad. The student must have been abroad for at least three years. The student must be at least 11 years of age when re-enrolling.
    • Students who function at an average or above-average level of ability, but who have a specific learning difficulty that is so severe that they cannot reach expected levels of attainment in their mother tongue.
    • Students who have a general learning disability due to a serious intellectual impairment and who are not acquiring basic language skills in their mother tongue.
    • Students who have a general learning disability on account of a serious sensory impairment, and who are not learning basic language skills in their mother tongue.

Students from abroad who have no understanding of English, when enrolled, would only be required to study one language, either English or Irish

Quite a few of those points apply to Irish people. Care to find another half-ar*ed poorly-researched prejudice to display Teneka?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Question for Teneka:

If you're so concerned about Irish culture, where did you get your username from?

I know.
    The King Beyond the gate

David Gemmell
    Sword-and-Sorcery | In the Tolkein Tradition
    Decades ago a mighty battle was fought at Dros Delnoch by the Drenai against Nadir barbarians who outnumbered the defenders 1000 to 1, and were led by the greatest general of all time. But the Drenai won. But war did not stop there. A power hungry madman became king, and used special magic/machinery to create Joinings, half man/half animal creatures. More barbarious than any Nadir, with an army more fearsome than any other, this mad emperor rules Drenai with fear and pain. The Dragon, an special elite group of soldiers who swear to uphold justice and fight against Nadir are cut to pieces by the emperor. Only a few members of the Dragon remain. The Golden One, Annias. The Shadow, Teneka Khan, a Nadir. And The Ice, Decado, an ice killer. Seperated for years, they reunite in the mountains to the north, where a rebels have thrown off the mad emperor's tyranny. Now the emperor's massive army is on the march, and Teneka Khan must embark on a quest to bring the enemy into Drenai lands to end the civil war...

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=176874 ; http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1554252#post1554252

• Advertisement

pete wrote:
    I know.
    <snip>

:D

How could I have forgotten that essential example of Irish folklore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Teneka

It's actually nothing to with with that, but cheers for the links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

With apologies to any passing Hebrew scholars:

"ve-'at-teneka le-beriyth" is apparently Hebrew for "give thee for a covenant of the people".

Beriyth is "covenant", so teneka would probably be "people".

(from a translation of Isaiah 42:6 i found here).

Although I still vote dragon soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

What a load of bull****. What does it matter whether they are asylum seekers, students, natives, whatever. If you ask me they are all people and all have an equal right to live in this country. If irish people are lazy do we get deported??? NO, so why should they. we are no different. And forcing our language/culture on foreigners is stupid. We should accept different cultures and see them as something exciting and new. Instead we have created a wall to other cultures which is just narrow-minded and stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

This has gone on long enough.

This thread is locked. As usual, there is nothing stopping anyone from starting a new, related thread......but should they do so, then I expect to see some reasoned and polite posting - something sadly lacking throughout a large chunk of this thread - or else locking will be the very least that I do.

jc

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement