Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy with the number of immigrants in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sackville

pete wrote:
    ps Sackville - you can make your own list.

well, if your case is sooooo strong it shouldn't be to difficult to a polemical Titan as yourself now should it? (conspiracy theorist as well it seems) nothing much gets past you, eh? well apart from the 90% of seekers who fail to achieve
    refugee status
    that is! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

Teneka wrote:

Walk the streets of Dublin tomorrow and you'll see. Multiculturism is for the worse. The BNP have the right approach to tackling this problem.

What the FCUK are u on its the 21st century buddy, THE BNP ya they are really fair and real pillars of the communtiy. this week brought the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the nazi death camps in poland. maybe teneka should think about how being so clearly racist can do. if times were not so good in ireland and you could not find a job emmigration would probably be an option. would u want to be treated like sh1t simular to the way some foreigners are in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Teneka wrote:
    I'll just do what you did by saying that FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE, the number of Chinese in Dublin is higher than any other foreigner.

Except that you asked me to quote sources. I gave you some as did Meh. Now it is your turn, but from what I can see is you don't have any proof.
    It's impossible to give an exact figure on this sort of thing, as the influx only came to its peak recently. Could you not agree on that even?

Not impossible at all as Meh showed from proper sources. Unless you are claiming they are crap? Also 1-2 year in the difference is not going to make a huge difference. I guessed at .5% of the population are chinese (although students shouldn't really count as they are not immigrants), Can you prove to me that it is a lot higher?

I would be surprised if you can prove even 1%.
    Sackville wrote:
    You seem to ( willfully?)miss the point that the main thrust of my last few posts were based on logic. as for demographic points in due course.

I am not missing the point at all. You are dodging posting any proof for what you are stating as fact. Ergo you know for a fact you cannot back up what you say. You have had numerous chances to and yet you still dodge the question and say the same thing over and over thinking it will magically turn into facts.

I am sure you will come back with the same lame excuse not to give any facts to you comments. Really don't bother unless you have something more concrete.
    well, if your case is sooooo strong it shouldn't be to difficult to a polemical Titan as yourself now should it?

Sorry but that isn't how it works. You make the accusation, it is up to you to back up your viewpoint. I was asked to back up mine and did so, why do you insist on not backing up yours?
    well apart from the 90% of seekers who fail to achieve
    refugee status that is!

Go on.. quote source. Not that it matters as people who fail to achive refugee status are normally deported and you know this. Don't know how you planned to spin that as something against what you are arguing about.

Hobbes wrote:

I am sure you will come back with the same lame excuse not to give any facts to you comments. Really don't bother unless you have something more concrete.

lame excuse? my cpmputer broke when i went to go look! so there :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

people who fail to achive refugee status are normally deported and you know this.

After how many years? Now I will ask you to back up your comments with a source.

• Advertisement

sackville wrote:
    lame excuse? my cpmputer broke when i went to go look! so there :p

Congrats on proving your ability to get your point across. You are a poster child.

Really.. unless you actually bother to contribute why are you even replying?

After how many years? Now I will ask you to back up your comments with a source.

Why? This has been discussed to death before Arcade in your own thread I might add. AFAIR (and I really can't be assed to dig it out when I just know of all the people you are able to post the link) it is anywhere from a month to 4 years depending on the case (although on this forum there was a reported case of a day).

But please tell me what is your point? They get deported. Or are you somehow claiming there is a huge influx of refugees? dig out the totals again.

Refugees are also not immigrants. You know this, the word is not freely interchangable between different kinds of foriegners who come here.

[edit] Heres some stats for you so Arcade.

http://www.irishrefugeecouncil.ie/stats.html
    • 6,271 asylum seekers in 62 direct provision centres as of 30th April 30th.
    • Over 430 of these had been in direct provision for a period over two years.
    • A total of 2,118 new applications for asylum were made in Ireland. (By comparison, the Czech Republic had a total of 3,151 new applications in the first 5 months of this year and Slovakia had 2,527 applications in the first 3 months of the year. More current statistics are not yet available from these countries each of which had more new asylum-seekers in 2003 than Ireland. Ireland had 4,750 new applications in the same period last year.)
    • In the first 6 months of 2004, a total of 566 asylum-seekers were newly recognised as refugees in Ireland.*
    • 353 succeeded at the appeal stage, equivalent to 19% of all cases appealed to conclusion at the Refugee Appeals Tribunal in this period.
    • 213 were at 'first instance' after interview by the Office of the Refugee Applications Commissioner (ORAC).

I'd like to see you dig out "The world is ending" from those stats. You and I both know that Asylum seeker requests have dropped in the last few years by a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

sackville wrote:
    well, if your case is sooooo strong it shouldn't be to difficult to a polemical Titan as yourself now should it? (conspiracy theorist as well it seems) nothing much gets past you, eh? well apart from the 90% of seekers who fail to achieve
    refugee status
    that is! :rolleyes:
    I'm not the one trying to make a point. You are. Isn't it about time you started backing up your own opinions with something other than your own opinions?

I mean, if you really want me to go back and find all the questions you didn't bother your hole / weren't able to answer, then just say the word.

Will it help you answer them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Teneka

I hope you're one of those Westerners who has no problem telling the difference between Chinese, Japanese and Koreans (not good enough to reckon that if they haven't got a camera in their hand that they probably aren't Japanese)

Believe me, I can. I have a Chinese friend in my class, it wouldn't be that hard.

I for one welcome imigrants at least they bring diversity

I for one disagree. Diversity is having detrimental affects on our nation. There's a current surge to increase the amount of Irish speakers throughout Ireland. Yet, these same people want a diverse culture. Hypocrisy. How can we keep certain things Irish if the nation wants to bring in as many foreigners as possible? Explain that.

I don't feel the need to allow them in to our country. The wages they earn in are way in excess of the normal wage in their home country. Money earned here is sent home via Western Union and the like. I've seen this happen. Foreign students will get their degree here, and go home with it. We won't receive the so called long term benefits of this.

It was a shock in college today when I saw one of the names of the players on the college team. And believe me, I wasn't the only one laughing at this. Imagine Michael Collins and co seeing such a sight? You are the very people that would have no problem seeing this. Ireland didn't fight for freedom all these years so you liberals could just give it away.

Naturally, it is cheaper to run a society that is not ridden with multicultaralism. The asylum system costs the state roughly €350m a year.

Refugees are also not immigrants

Em, what?

• Advertisement

Teneka wrote:
    Believe me, I can. I have a Chinese friend in my class, it wouldn't be that hard.

Through the sample of one all is proved. That would make you better then most Asians then. And before you ask cite proof show yours first.
    I for one disagree. Diversity is having detrimental affects on our nation.

How exactly? Can you please post data showing it is having a detrimental effect beyond your personal opinion? Is Ireland loosing money?

Hypocrisy. How can we keep certain things Irish if the nation wants to bring in as many foreigners as possible? Explain that.

Teach them Irish?
    The wages they earn in are way in excess of the normal wage in their home country.

and the wages the majority get are minimum wage. Barely enough to live on and impossible to live on if you are currently a refugee status.

So what that is in excess? What has that got to do with it? The cost of living is a lot lower as well in said countries unless you can point me out to one country where this is not the case.
    Money earned here is sent home via Western Union and the like. I've seen this happen.

You work for Western Union then?
    Foreign students will get their degree here, and go home with it. We won't receive the so called long term benefits of this.

Apart from the amount of cash they brought into the country into the education system and extra taxes. Also when they leave they don't become a burden on the state. The long term benefit is that more people come here to study which increases money into the state as well as promoting tourism.
    It was a shock in college today when I saw one of the names of the players on the college team.

This is the point when you wander into Racism. So what a person has a different name? For all you know they could be third generation Irish or just a student.
    The asylum system costs the state roughly €350m a year.

Again.. Quote your source where you got this from.
    Teneka wrote:
    Em, what?

*correction* Asylum seekers are not immigrants. There see you can make me change my mind. :p Btw Students are not immigrants either yet you seem to arguing that they are.

Hobbes wrote:

Not that it matters as people who fail to achive refugee status are normally deported and you know this. .

I just had to prove you wrong on that, not that the actual facts themselves give me any pleasure.
    you need that adobe reader or something to read this. so I had to find another machine. here's the link and its from the UNHCR no less

http://www.unhcr.ch/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/statistics/opendoc.pdf?tbl=STATISTICS&id=41d2c1790&page=statistics

An immigrant is a person who leaves one country to live in another.

Not that difficult for a multicultural loving person such as yourself?

sackville wrote:
    I just had to prove you wrong on that, not that the actual facts themselves give me any pleasure.
    you need that adobe reader or something to read this. so I had to find another machine. here's the link and its from the UNHCR no less

http://www.unhcr.ch/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/statistics/opendoc.pdf?tbl=STATISTICS&id=41d2c1790&page=statistics

the salient point is important

A.3
    see new applications, who qualified by 1951 convention criteria, and those who feck it! were let stay any way.

This is the point when you wander into Racism

Racism - The belief that race accounts for differences in human character.

Do you agree with this definition, yes?

sackville wrote:

OMG YOU ACTUALLY POSTED A LINK TO SOMETHING!! :eek:

Now it is just a shame you actually never bothered to read it. You will find it backs up what I said.

Teneka wrote:
    Racism - The belief that race accounts for differences in human character.

Do you agree with this definition, yes?

Nice try at just taking the parts you want.

Actually the full defination is...
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=racism
    1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

n 1: the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races
    2: discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race

Which I believe is what you are displaying. But hey I could be wrong, please post the link where you got your defination from.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Teneka wrote:
    It was a shock in college today when I saw one of the names of the players on the college team. And believe me, I wasn't the only one laughing at this. Imagine Michael Collins and co seeing such a sight? You are the very people that would have no problem seeing this. Ireland didn't fight for freedom all these years so you liberals could just give it away.
    The accepted purpose of education is to broaden the mind, I suspect it is wasted on you, why dont you pack up your closed mind, drop out, get a job (before they are all taken by them immigrants) pay your taxes, and, help support all the other wasters like yourself in college.:D
    Naturally, it is cheaper to run a society that is not ridden with multicultaralism. The asylum system costs the state roughly €350m a year.
    A drop in the ocean, when compared to the amount of money squandered annually on the likes of you in college :D

jbkenn

Hobbes wrote:
    OMG YOU ACTUALLY POSTED A LINK TO SOMETHING!! :eek:

Now it is just a shame you actually never bothered to read it. You will find it backs up what I said.

In total denial :confused:

sackville wrote:
    In total denial :confused:

I read it. Did you?

Please point out the parts that say that the numbers are increasing and not decreasing.

Also those figures are from 2003, you will get the 2004 from my link I posted earlier.

* Incidently for your reference this was brought up before on Arcades famous thread. After a particular court ruling the number of Asylum seekers/Refugees dropped dramatically. This was a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement

before they are all taken by them immigrants

Quote me saying that, otherwise retract that statement. You're implying something there.
    I suspect it is wasted on you.....the amount of money squandered annually on the likes of you in college

On the likes of me? For all you know I could be from England or anywhere, so what you are saying? Is it not the same as me saying that money is wasted on the foreigners? Oh no, wait a minute, thats not politically correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Teneka wrote:

It was a shock in college today when I saw one of the names of the players on the college team. And believe me, I wasn't the only one laughing at this.

At least we can rest easy knowing you weren't alone in your display of ignorance.
    Teneka wrote:
    Ireland didn't fight for freedom all these years so you liberals could just give it away.

:rolleyes:

I'd like to think that those patriots who gave their lives for Irish independance would turn in their grave if they witnessed your lack of tolerance and naked racist rhetoric.

You have yet to answer the multitude of questions put to you on this thread. Leave the soundbites and revolting anecdotes for another day, and answer the questions please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Teneka wrote:
    Diversity is having detrimental affects on our nation.

Care to back up any of these statements with facts?

Pretty keen on diversity myself if it means diluting some of gene pool that's floating around this board at the moment!

And you're damn right about me having no problems with "strange" names on teams. I'd be pretty happy with the black, indian and asian kids, I see on my green playing football and hurling throwing a Dublin shirt on their backs and bringing Sam back here. :D

You have yet to answer the multitude of questions put to you on this thread. Leave the soundbites and revolting anecdotes for another day, and answer the questions please

I've answered what has been asked, whether be it directly or indirectly.

So were the men of the 1916 era and before that racist?

Teneka wrote:
    I've answered what has been asked, whether be it directly or indirectly.

No you haven't. Someone already did a list.

Incidently you never did answer my question to why you didn't report all those Foriegners to the Revenue commisioners when you saw them taking back handers in the same job as you. Why is that?

Hobbes wrote:
    I read it. Did you?

Please point out the parts that say that the numbers are increasing and not decreasing.

except that wasn't my point.my opoint was that up untill now failed applicants weren't being deported.
    QUOTE]

To be honest, Pete's questions are a joke. Plus I've answered them when other people have asked.
    Incidently you never did answer my question to why you didn't report all those Foriegners to the Revenue commisioners when you saw them taking back handers in the same job as you. Why is that?

I was 15 at the time, still learning about how things work with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Teneka wrote:
    So were the men of the 1916 era and before that racist?

Not at all. Their numbers included a London-born Countess who married a Pole, and a Scottish-born revolutionary socialist (what was that you were saying about the left?) who was executed for his role in the Rising.

Do you know anything about your own country?

sackville wrote:
    except that wasn't my point.my opoint was that up untill now failed applicants weren't being deported.

Based off the quote you pulled " Not that it matters as people who fail to achive refugee status are normally deported and you know this. ."

You are again incorrect. If they fail they are deported. They are allowed appeal it but if it is clear they are not valid refugees they are deported.

Absolutly no where in that document does it mention number of failed Asylum seekers who were allowed stay here regardless failing.

The document you also posted the totals also contain the previous years appeals people.

You have still yet to show any large influx of refugees (or immigrants for that matter).

But thanks for eventually trying.
    To be honest, Pete's questions are a joke. Plus I've answered them when other people have asked.

Then how about answering my requests for where you are getting your information from on all the things I queried? Think you can do that?

• Advertisement

Not at all. Their numbers included a London-born Countess who married a Pole, and a Scottish-born revolutionary socialist (what was that you were saying about the left?) who was executed for his role in the Rising.

But we opposed the British race from being in our country. Please explain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement