Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is changing to 64bit worth it?

Options
  • 24-01-2005 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

Atm I have a 3000xp and tbh I very happy with the performance in games only when I try to multitask does it slip, I was wondering if it would be worth my while to upgrade to the 64bit 3000 (939 socket) I've heard good things about this but that has been mainly about its ocing ability something the 3000xp lacks, but I was wondering on a straight stock comparison using standard window xp pro would i notice a significant difference to justify such an upgrade?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hello,

First of all ,h/ware wise it may be a good time to upgrade.
    S/ware...you may find that you can't find drivers for the Sound Card,Printer,Mobo,NIC,Video Camera and so on (my case).

M$oft has XP64 in beta for a while and keeps doing good thinks about it.

However the s/ware and h/ware manufacturers, they are not up to speed in this process so ...wait untill everythink is settled down from either sides.

I had to go back to WinXP 32 for a while and then i came back to WinXP64 ,after i found tis very good forum :
    www.planetAMD64.com

Regards... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Socket 939 is good but remember most people are still running 32-bit applications/OS. Software is lagging behind Harware at this point for desktop users and it wont catch up for a good while. You may be considering a new system when proper 64-bit software support is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

thanx for the response i think ill leave it for about a year and but a 64bit lappy cause by then my pc wont be able to run the games well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

It depends alot on what your using it for mostly and what you expect your PC to perform like.

Simple answer is 64bit as the guys have said isint the thing to focus on at the min, its the added 32bit performance levels. The AMD64 3000+ would offer roughly 15% performance increase over a Xp3000+ , and will helps memory performance due to higher FSB.
    AMD64 is great for general applications and gaming.

For multitasking the P4 is slightly better due in part to Hyperthreading. It also has great memory performance and is the fastest chipset for encoding.

If you really want multitasking performance then a P4 with HT doesent compare to a dual CPU system, real handy if you want to encode something, burn a dvd, play a game etc without much lag at all..........

The Xp3000+ isint a bad performer at the min but it depends alot on what you expect from your pc, i wouldnt use 64bit as a reason to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

No point in upgrading to XP64 beta. As the benchmarks i did show the preformance increase is minimul. Because as the guys earlier said software is still in 32bit, its only when we see true 64bit programs in a windows XP64 (AMD)envoirment that u will see an increase. Also as rolion said getting drivers is a problem, i managed to use ati and creative beta drivers whic got my x800 and sound working OK (not perfect). Basically my advice would be to wait until XP64 for amds is realesed officially and drivers (non-beta) are readily available for hardware because there are no real benifits at the moment using the beta version of xp64

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Is there any problems with software if you were to just use the chip with the normal windows xp. I was going to build a new pc for my da and was looking at getting a 2800xp for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hello,

WinXP 32Bit it should run fine !
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Is winXP just the normal version. I have the normal version of xp pro, is this 32bit?. Sorry not too clued up on this 32 and 64 bit business. Will it be slow using it on 32 bit Say compared to the 2800xp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

bush wrote:
    Is winXP just the normal version. I have the normal version of xp pro, is this 32bit?. Sorry not too clued up on this 32 and 64 bit business. Will it be slow using it on 32 bit Say compared to the 2800xp

XP is 32bit unless it says XP 64bit or x64 version, 64bit cpus run fine on 32bit operating systems, just as good if not better than any 32bit cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

bush wrote:

Windows XP x64 is the 64bit version. Its not beta anymore, its now RC1 (Release Candidate 1). Its likely to be officially launched in April.

Windows XP x64 can run 32bit programs with virtually no performance hit, in some cases its slightly slower, in other cases its faster. There are several 64bit Apps and at least one game out right now. Anyone that "waits a year" is going to end up "waiting another year" next year as thats when Windows Longhorn is likely out.

Matt

• Advertisement
Advertisement