Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email server number

Options
  • 24-01-2005 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

whats the "email server number" my vodaphone mobile ask me to put in when trying to send a email? i looked on the site and at the stickies above but im none the wiser

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Most of the ISP will deny access to their SMTP server if you are not connected using their DialUp Access Points.

So,if you dialup using a Eircom connex,then is "mail1.eircom.net".
    The phone number to dial is 1892.150150,username "eircomnet",pass"eircomnet"

Hope it works 4U !

Regards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

um i have an nokia 3310 i thought you could send an email with wap or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mail.vodafone.ie

it ask for a number, ie digits...

chewy wrote:
    it ask for a number, ie digits...
    Try that anyway

[Edit:

Actually, walk us through where you're going in WAP. The 3310 has no email function.

• Advertisement

i think , don't know much about phones, and it _only_ allows number to be entered...?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭seagizmo

chewy wrote:
    i think , don't know much about phones, and it _only_ allows number to be entered...?

What exactly are you trying to do?
    What menu to you get?
    Can you give more detail of how you get to point?

SG

Sounds like your WAP Settings aren't correctly configured.

Contact Vodafone support.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

it sounds a bit like trying to send an sms via an email gateway - did the 3310 have that feature?
    on some SE phones you can send several different types of sms
    text, e-mail,fax,voice,pager,ermes

when you go

mesages > text messages scroll to send create e-mail, it ask for an email address (I enter my own) then when you choose send e-mail it asks for an email server number,

now that was the main problem but its not any more because I thik i found the number but im not sure if its right

i found a help page on setting wap settings if you go to

services > settings and edit your settings there like in this page, only I presuming you swap http://wap.e-merge.com to http://live.vodafone.com cos e-merge doesnt' exist anymore?

https://www.vodafone.ie/services/mobileservices/wap/config/forward.jsp

• Advertisement

chewy wrote:
    now that was the main problem but its not any more because I thik i found the number but im not sure if its right[/url]
    If you're thinking it's the dialup phone number, you may be right. On the other hand, if WAP works fine for you outside of this, that's probably not the correct number they're looking for. It's probably the IP it's looking for. 213.233.128.65

Oh, and I downloaded the manual for your phone. It's no help.

seamus wrote:
    If you're thinking it's the dialup phone number, you may be right. On the other hand, if WAP works fine for you outside of this, that's probably not the correct number they're looking for. It's probably the IP it's looking for. 213.233.128.65

Oh, and I downloaded the manual for your phone. It's no help.

I don't think the WAP settings or mail.vodafone.ie (or it's IP) will help. I think the feature you are trying to use is something else, sounds some auxillary Nokia email sending feature maybe over SMS. I don't think it SMTP based?

SG

its a phone number it doens't allow any other type of entry apart from numbers and + and # signs _no dots_

the number they give is

+353872292222

yeah I have the manual here in front of me, its crap, and the vodafone web site is way out of date and don't see any phone numbers in the stickies above

chewy wrote:
    its a phone number it doens't allow any other type of entry apart from numbers and + and # signs _no dots_

It some sort of sms to email thing, the network provider has to support it and vodafone doesn't.

SG

who does?

arn't there other .com companies that you could do it via their site on vodaphone

chewy wrote:
    who does?

arn't there other .com companies that you could do it via their site on vodaphone

It's not really a website you need, this message (email from your phone) would be a concatenated message created by your phone but in essence just be a particularly formatted text messsage. The text message would then be sent to a text message service much like any other text message based service (ring tone, jokes.. etc) and it would then be processed and an email from your message would be generated.

This is not something to my knowledeg Vodafone or o2 or meteor support, I think probably because it is not standard/present on all handsets.

Can you not just use Wapmail via Vodafone live!?

SG

I know for certain that the Nokia 3510i has this, but I've no idea how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

BTW, Google offer their smtp server for public use. smtp.google.com

and how do you do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

086 6066606 if I remember correctly was a 3rd party provider.

Darragh

• Advertisement

ok so i figured out how to use wap mail, i'd never looked at what was at the Messages link before, when I saw create email in the text menu options I thought was how you did?

i found http://moblog.co.uk/ which allows you to which is free to use, sign up and all, but it only allows you to post pics,text and audio for some reason...??

and there is no option within vodafone wap map to attach images etc, i mean my phone ain't a camera fone but there is pic on it in the gallery...?

i just wanna send txt to the one web page

thanks for the help so far

um thanks for the number darragh but would need to know what comp it is before i send anything to it..

i finally figured out how to send a text/email via wap to update a blogspot.... that works ok

then I emailed somebody and they said why don't you just use

SMS: "mail blaa@gmail.com hi there Blaa."
    Send to: 51745

Within a few minutes I should receive an email with the message "hi
    there Eoin." from an email address like "0871234567@e-merge.ie".

so 51745 !! thats email server number...?? althought you don't use the create email option you just send it as a normal txt with the email addy in the txt body...

i tried it first with my redbrick account and it didn't work??? but it worked when i sent it my yahoo account.

now how do you do that on every phone type ?

chewy wrote:
    now how do you do that on every phone type ?
    Ah yes, I've done that before. You just write an SMS with the text "MAIL<space><email address><space>" then write your email and send it to 51745.

Never found it that useful tbh. Still costs the same.

the same as what?

chewy wrote:
    the same as what?
    A text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Same as a text? I think he means that emails are free, at least usually... and that sending one in place of a text won't have much effect if it costs the same amount. Unless you need to send an email of course :)

figured it out through wap, but can't via the sms gateway, fiddling with the syntax doesn't work either ://

finally got it to work, now how much exactly does it cost to send a sms to 51745 email gateway server...? must ring vodafone in the morn...

chewy wrote:
    finally got it to work, now how much exactly does it cost to send a sms to 51745 email gateway server...? must ring vodafone in the morn...

It will cost 10c or what ever the your standard tariff is for sending text messages.

One thing though, if you send a message using this service, the <from> address will not be valid. It will be automatically set the <from> address to <your number>@e-merge.ie. However, the e-merge.ie domain doesn't exist any more so you will not be able to get any replies :eek: :eek: :eek:

SG

• Advertisement

thanks, well no eh, im pretty sure I get the messages at my vodafone, with number@vodafone.ie its for updating a blog via sms with text(as opposed to photos) for specific reasons...

Advertisement