Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave USB modem is doing my head in

• 24-01-2005 2:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

My god im goin to hit my modem with a bloody hammer :mad: :mad: :mad: if you have winXP you'll understand what im sayin, everytime i try to connect to the web just to view a simple webpage i get dong, dong(hardware disconnected) and then after that ding ding (hardware reconnected) and accuiring network address for 30sec. then connected, great i say NOW I CAN BROWZE THE WEB, but wait the the modem disconnects itself from the computer AGAIN for like the 20th time in 10mins :mad: :mad: :mad: I thought it might be spyware, checked and found none, rechecked to be sure, found same result. Also ive the inconvience of my computer stalling every time for 2mins after it reconnect's itself, what can i do i nearly smashed the laptop screen with frustration, even typing this all up was mission impossible, it took the new thread page the length of smells like teen spirit and half of breakout to load :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: , what the hell can i do.
    Modem is at room temp (for the moment, will be cold after i smash it.)
    I have service pack 2 on the laptop (came preinstalled with it, cant uninstall it :( )
    I have my settings on automatic IP, should i change this
    Do IBB customer's have static IP's, ive noticed mine's generally the same.

If anyone can help i'd be relieved of all my frustation (i think i might put the Foo Fighters Breakout song on again)

Should I smash up my USB Ripwave Modem 3 votes

Yes, go on do it
    0% 0 votes
    No, take your anger out on something else
    100% 3 votes
    Get a Ethernet Ripwave modem
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

I have the ethernet version and it does exactly the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I've closed the poll because it's useless.

Lots of people have had problems with ripwave.. if it doesn't work for you just send it back and use some alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Get the ethernet modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Moriarty wrote:

Lots of people have had problems with ripwave.. if it doesn't work for you just send it back and use some alternative.
    Exactly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Moriarty wrote:
    For some of us, there is NO alternative. Nothing. Zip. If you don't have Ripwave count your lucky stars you have an alternative and that the IBB threads don't apply to you.

What's wrong with having a rant? At least I've learned today that the problems I've experienced recently are not just happening to me, and not restricted to USB modems.

I don't see the point in disabling a poll that is relevant to disgruntled IBB customers.

This is a community, no? Alcoholics need a support group... gamblers need a support group... and Ripwave users need a support group because the IBB number is no support at all. :)

Live and let rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Moriarty wrote:

Im sorry, please forgive me for any inconvience caused :o:o

On a brighter note - got great speeds and stability last night with Ripwave (in Blackrock) for the first time in weeks. Hope it wasn't just me.

Was even able to get a bit of Xbox Live going on... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You haven't caused any hassle, but we get people in here litterly every day complaining about broadband products and I'm fairly sure ripwave accounts for more complaints than most of the rest put together. Moaning/complaining here isn't going to do jot for your actual connection.

There's always another option, be it isdn, a normal modem, a homemade wireless network between your house and somone that can get broadband so you can share the connection (what I'm using), or any number of other solutions.

Yea i have the ISDN for the buisness but its mad expensive, im thinking of moving to the breeze service. Also noticed today that the Broadband speeds were the best ever and it was during office hours!!!
    Also i was in DIT Kevin St till last april will be back there prob. next april again can i avail of the free offer now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I've had both USB and ethernet (both going at the same time on one occasion:) - there's no increase in speed, before anyone asks) - the Ethernet is much more stable. The USB version definitely doesn't like XP and will require numerous restarts.

I also had the same 'dong dong' problem you had with an even earlier modem. I sent it back - it was confirmed to be faulty.

Send it back, get the ethernet version and if you're still not happy, it's not for you. Haven't said all this I'm getting a far better signal these days - altho it went down all last night - the first time in ages.

And I am positive (whatever they say) that they throttle your connection if you go overboard on the dls. :confused:

• Advertisement

Tazz T wrote:
    I also had the same 'dong dong' problem you had with an even earlier modem. I sent it back - it was confirmed to be faulty.
    Tazz,
    Do they "swap" your modem on the same day? Is it a pre-arranged switch where you specify a date and they turn up or do you have to hang around for the guy to turn up to pick up the modem?

I ask because I use the USB with XP and hear the "dong dong" in my sleep...

CHEERS!

Sorry, old boy,

you will wait for weeks...

I did...

I originally thought that XP disconnected the modem untill last night i could not get a signal at all, well actually i did get a signal it was amber and it was good in navdiag but i could not get connected to the network, i put i down to the servers been too busy to give me an IP number. anyway im constantly getting the modem disconnecting the modem blinks green and then i hear the Ding dong thing so i just thought mabey ive been given a faulty modem, since after all why disconnect when im getting a decent signal.

one thing i forget to mention is that i could leave my computer alone after it connects to IBB and it stays connected but then the minute i enter a website address halfway through loading bang i disconnect's on me.
    Faulty modem id say, what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I've seen several posts on IBB and the most complained thing about them when it came to connection problems was a faulty modem. You should consider that it is the modem and contact them for a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

one thing i forget to mention is that i could leave my computer alone after it connects to IBB and it stays connected but then the minute i enter a website address halfway through loading bang i disconnect's on me.
    Faulty modem id say, what you think?

The first modem they gave was a USB one and this is exactly what was happening all the time. Return it, it's fauly. Get the ethernet version.

I don't know why they keep handing these modems to people, is it some sort of stalling tactic?

I suppose can I drive up to there offices in Sandyford, after i have contacted them and swap it there and then, i am usually very busy during the day so i could'nt be waiting around for a person to call and swap it at my door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

is there newer firmware available for the modem?

I suppose can I drive up to there offices in Sandyford, after i have contacted them and swap it there and then.

I wanted to do that. They wouldn't let me.They won't even let you mail it in to them.

****! Just was watching Tubridy tonight on rte one and when they go to the audience to ask one of them a few questions so that the audience wins stuff, he asked what the man worked at and he said he works for Irish Broadband, he failed all the easy questions, a first in the show tubridy said, i hope all of the IBB staff ar'nt like him, THICK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement